General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #1  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Default Thread veins

I have these awful little things in my face, thread veins/broken capillaries whatever you want to call them. I've had them since being a young girl actually and really they just made me look like I had rosy cheeks. But I've noticed they're spreading and looking more obvious.

Can anybody tell me why this is, and if there are any ways to prevent them that doesn't involve more money than I make in a year? I hate them
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #2  

You might want to see a dermatologist and see if you have rosacea, which can cause a rosy complexion. There are prescription creams that work for some.

The only thing that I think will definitely work are laser procedures. Which are, unfortunately, expensive.

There are also lots of skincare products that are specifically for rosacea, but you can use even if you don't have rosacea, as the ingredients help calm the redness in the skin. When I worked in a spa we used Pevonia with good results (a bit pricey, but cheaper than laser). But there are many other products you can try.

Good luck.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
You might want to see a dermatologist and see if you have rosacea,
That is exactly what I thought when I read the description.

I have a naturally "rosy" complexion and now I have those thready-capillary things on my cheeks as well - more on the right side than the left.

My derm told me it *is* rosacea and that regular use of something like MetroGel or Finacea will help alleviate the symptoms. However the capillaries that are already there will have to be removed by laser therapy if I want it.

I checked with my insurance and can't get a straight answer as to whether or not they'll cover having them lasered, but if they will, I'm going to have it done. In the meanwhile I use Finacea cream which I put on under my regular moisturizer every morning.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Rosacea can also respond to what you *don't* use. I don't have a list, but if you research a bit, you can learn about skin care that doesn't further irritate your skin and exacerbate rosacea. Also non-topical triggers, like foods and temperatures, sun, etc. But see a dermatologist to be sure what you're dealing with before investing in expensive products.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #5  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the responses. My skin is pretty awful, I cant find any routine to settle into that doesn't make it too oily or too dry so seeing a dermatologist probably is a good idea, it's just always money I don't have. Thanks again!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote