Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #40

Good morning ladies. Just a quick peek in as I have lots of things I want to get done this morning. I have the brain slug about halfway done so want to get it finished today if I can.

Thank you to everyone for the lovely birthday wishes. We had a great dinner out with Kelly and family last night and I sent several of you the link to my grandson's campaign speech as he is running for a Student Council office. He is one amazing kid for 8 years old. I know you will catch that southern accent he has.

I am making chicken and noodles for dinner tonight so I have to get the meat off the bird in a few minutes. I have taken it out of its cooking juice and am letting it cool. The whole house smells like chicken this morning as I put it in the crockpot and cooked it all night on low.

Everyone have a great start to their week. I need to get hoppin' this morning.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #2  

Good afternoon, ladies! Another beautiful fall day today.

Faye, send me the link! I didn't get it. I'm glad you had a good birthday celebration. Your chicken and noodles sounds great.

I have Bible Study tonight. We're on Noah and Babel. It's very interesting finding paralells in the New Testament.

Other than that, my life is boring today.

Have a good evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! I was up most of last night with a painful upset stomach and stayed home from school today. I spent most of the day napping in the recliner or on the couch. I do feel better tonight, so ate some Cheerios and apple sauce. So far so good as it has stayed down. It was a windy day here. I'm glad I didn't have to go out -- today was to be my first day of bus duty.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you had a fun time with your family! I think I must have missed something about the brain slug. That kind of sounds like Halloween.

Susan -- The knitting ministry sounds like a worthwhile project to be involved in. You mentioned eating at the Cheeseburger in Paradise. That sounds like an interesting place, and that is what I miss about living in a larger city. We have the usual fast food places here: Burger King, McD's, Hardees, DQ, Pizza Hut, Godfather's, and Subway. The one nice restaurant/steak house has been sold and closed for a few weeks for remodeling. I hope they don't change their food menu a whole lot.

I am moving towards bed. I didn't think I would be tired but I am. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #4  

Good morning everyone! Hope your Tuesday has started out well.

Kelly got a call from The Wall Street Journal and someone from there saw his speech on UTube and they want to interview Thomas! I told Kelly by email last night "Tell my big guy we are excited about him becoming a big time politician now with newpapers clamoring for interviews!"
I bet the kid could take on either Obama or McCain in a debate! lol

Jean: I am enclosing a pic of the brain slug. I finished him up this morning. Yes, it is for Thomas's Halloween costume. He is going as some character from Futerama, some weird cartoon on tv. Kelly said not to knit on the headband as she is going to sew a plastic headband to it. He wears it on his head. I had a real time of it, for one thing, some of the directions were really whacked. The thing has to be knitted in the round and you can't do intarsia, which is the color changing, when you knit in the round so I decided to do duplicate stitch, which is basically embroidery over the knitted article. Only problem was, the idiot woman didn't warn you that if you decided to do it that way NOT to knit to completion as the top wouldn't be big enough to get your darning needle in and out of to do the stitching! I had it one row from being done when I figured that out. I had to rip several rows out to make it big enough so I could get my hand in and out of the inside to bring the needle from the back into the front. On top of that, several times my stitches fell off my double point needles (I ended up having to use dpns on most of it and had to change my magic loop to dpns midstream) when I was doing the duplicate stitch and I kept having to go back and pick up dropped stitches and put them back on the needle. I ended up, after about 5 times of this happening, to take a bunch of stitch holders and putting the different needles on the stitch holders so they would stay put. I then found out that the only scrap yarn in white I had was too thin to use so I doubled it, then found that it covered too much, so my eye isn't perfect as my stitch count is off, but after tearing it out 4 times, the slug is just going to go with a "lazy eye." Hope you are feeling your ole self this morning.

Susan: I sent you his speech. I thought I included you, but must have missed you, sorry. I find the Bible fascinating. It is rich in history and information besides the spiritual guidance it provides. Unfortunately, in this day and age people like to disprove what is in the Bible, they even have tv shows on discovery that try and do that very thing, but I say, you either believe it or you don't there is no middle ground, period.

I just talked to my son for about an hour. He and Alicia are dead on their feet. She has had to go back to full time because they have two less pharmacists and she had to pick up the slack. He has been doing trade shows so has been in and out of town a lot. He says it has provided him a lot of good business but he is pooped. Then there is "piglet" as Jay calls him. He is walking, running and starting to talk so he keeps them hopping. I could hear him chattering away in the background and Jay said you can't seem to keep the kid full. He eats his breakfast and wants more and that is what he was demanding that I was hearing. lol I can't wait to see him at Thanksgiving.

Well gals, I have chores to tackle. I came downstairs at 2 am because the dog was really restless and kept jumping off the bed then barking to be put back on. I knew poor Jack wasn't getting any sleep so I brought him downstairs and fell asleep in the recliner. I was dead asleep when Jay called. He is an hour ahead of us so he called at 7 and I almost went tush over teakettle trying to untangle blankets, dog and put the leg rest down to get to the phone only half awake! lol

Have a good one today!
Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brainslug2.jpg (26.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by gma22; 09-30-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies - cloudy and overcast today.

Faye, you surely have one talented and smart grandson. I forwarded you email along to a couple of my friends. I hope I live long enough to see him elected president - the country would sure be in good hands! I hope you get a picture of him in the slug hat to post. I had no idea what it would look like!

Jean, hope that stomach upset is a thing of the past. No fun to be sick!

I have pt for my knee today - pretty bad when that is the highlight for the day. I need to get the blocks pressed that I finished for the signature quilt then that is ready to be signed. Now I can get the first installment of the mystery quilt done and then start on the blocks for the block swap in November. I have a lot of quilting stuff for the whole of October, including 3 quilt shows. Fun!

Have a good day.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It has seemed like Monday all day today since I was home yesterday. The kids were to dress from the 50s and 60s today. Some came up with some really good costumes, and I was impressed. After school I stood outside like a dunce and watched the busses come in and go out. I can tell already it's not going to be any fun in the winter weather. I'm glad it is only for 15 minutes.

"Gma" -- You have far more patience than I to do and redo your projects to get them just right. I'm glad I know what a brain slug is in case I happen to see one around here. We can all say we knew Thomas before he becomes rich and famous. I had to at Jay calling Jackson "piglet." That is cute. I know you are anxious to see them again.

Susan -- You are one busy quilting lady! I feel better today, but I am tired. I went to bed early and slept all night until the alarm went off this morning. That very rarely ever happens. I thought maybe I would wake up in the middle of the night since I had slept so much during the day -- guess I must have needed the extra sleep. Is your knee feeling better with physical therapy? I hope so!

I'm off to call my mom for our Tuesday chat. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Just got back from ladies Bible study this evening and a couple of the husbands were over here having a nice study with Will. We had a nice BBQ dinner of hamburgers for 3 kids for dinner earlier and one of the wifes brought her hubby's birthday cake to share. I got my glass order in for the chemicals I need plus some galss today and got a printer set up for Will's office. Been busy doing this and that and not much of anything it seems.

JEAN Glad you are over that touch of what ever was ailing you. Maybe a bit of anxiety mixed in with it for having to do bus duty.

SUSAN It is very interesting how all the Bible is tied together with one common thread. I love Bible sudy groups.

DONNA Please, oh please send me the web sight to see "his" speach. That slug hat is so neat, I have never seen anything like it and it will do the trick. You are such a good Nanna.

I am going to have a soda and think about getting ready to cut some zzzz's. Have a wonderful humpday tomorrow and I'll be back type at you later.

PS I did show a tad of a loss this week at WW ~ 0.8.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-30-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 AM   #8  

Another early morning for me gals. I woke up with a backache and came downstairs with the dog, but the chair just isn't doing it this time so I decided to check my email, balance my checkbook and post.

Maggie: I sent you the link. I am loosing it as I thought I had sent it to you too. Sounds like you had a nice time with the "young people." Congrats on the almost lb down! Good going.

Susan: Hope you got a good report on the ole knee. I am back to starting my third hat now that old "sluggy" is all done. I am going to try magic loop with my sock yarn soon and see how it goes. I struggle with the very small dpn's and so haven't ever gotten far with a sock pattern.

Jean: Yesterday when I was talking to Jay I could hear the baby in the background just talking away in baby babble. I said something to Jay and he laughed and said, "Yeah, he is trying to talk his mom into breakfast seconds. Can't fill that kid up." He is sure his daddy, but I imagine he won't be quite so obedient as his dad was. Jay was an absolute doll until he started first grade. I imagine Jackson will be much more of a challenge for them. His mommy spoils him a lot. Dad tries to make him toe the line, but she is pretty permissive.

I just finished the new Stuart Wood book Hot Mahogany. Pretty good book. I picked it up around 3 and read it in one sitting in the evening. Well, that was between popping up for little chores and such.

Everyone have a great day.
Faye
Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday In The Morning

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I am sitting here with color stuf on my hair and when the timer goes off I am heading to the shower. We have a busy day today. First we take Ragg Mopp to the groomer then head out to a town an hour and half from here to meet up with a couple from Texas for lunch. They had been over to Miss. then down to SD and are heading home for they have to be at work soon. At first they had planned to stay here a few days on their way to SD but had a family emergency that took them to Miss and ate up their road time. Anyway it will be great to see them. We have been long distance friends for so many years now. Then we have to scoot back here in time for evening Bible study at the church. I gotta go now ~ Will is back with breakfast.

DONNA Thank you so much for that web site. That little guy is amazing to say the least. What a charmer to boot.

Have a lovely day all ya'all ~ too hip, gotta go.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #10  

Good afternoon, ladies! The rains have returned! Darn!

The boss bought us lunch today so that was a nice change to eating while I work. It's been just a little hectic around here.

I put some beef stew in my crockpot this morning so it will be nice to go home and have dinner ready.

Jean, I'll bet that 15 minutes of bus duty seems more like 15 hours.

Maggie, you do the nicest things for people. I hope you are appreciated.

Faye, I hope you back is feeling better! I can't wait to see a group picture with all the hats.

Have a good evening!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday In The Evening

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We got back safely from our trip to visit with friends. Had lunch at Chilis which was good since we haven't been to one of those restaruants for years since thee weren't any where we lived. Idaho was the last and that has been a few years. Picked up Ragg Mopp in time and are home again. He looks like he is 5 pounds smaller. When his hair gets longer and curley it makes him look like a bigger dog. He weighs 16 pounds of muscle. That is as big as his type of dog gets.

SUSAN You certainly do have a nice boss. I remember when you were having troubles that he stepped up to fill the gap so to speak. You are more fortunate in that departent than a lot of folks.

Everyone have a lovely evening. Be back later to type at you.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! Bob is farming so Ernie and I are home alone. He (Ernie) is in the dog house! Yesterday when Bob came home to change clothes my big, sitting up on a plant stand, plant was tipped on its side with dirt all over the floor. Today the pot is still upright but there are a few telltale dirt crumbs on the floor. It was a beautiful fall day although a bit chilly with the wind blowing. Tomorrow we have an hour pep rally down at the football field so I hope it warms up!

My "bad" reading class had a sub today. He was about as much help as Ernie would be so I just took over. We have just changed the schedule from eating first and then having class to having class and then eating lunch. That way if the rowdies want to misbehave we can hold them from going to lunch. It was amazing the difference in the class. I also threatened them with Saturday School if I had to write them up for the sub (who was sitting there like he had no clue, which he didn't). The principal was supposed to check in and she never showed up. She could have stood in the hall and listened and we not see her.

Maggie -- Congrats on the loss! Any loss is a GREAT loss on this road to thin! You have had a busy couple of days for sure.

"Gma" -- You were up bright and early this morning. I hate it when I wake up and can't get comfortable. I've had 2 nights of sleeping all night and I haven't done that for a very long time. I will have to look for the book you mentioned. I want to get the latest cat book about Dewey Readmore Books; he was a kitten that was dropped in the book return of the Spencer, IA, library many years ago and became the library cat. He became famous around the world. It is #3 on one of the best sellers' lists.

Susan -- What a nice boss to buy your lunch! Actually I feel pretty stupid standing outside for bus duty! There are 2 teachers who meet the last bus coming in, to get their own children. They could just as well watch the rest of the crowd while they wait! I stand at one end of the bus line of 6 busses, under the canopy which leads to the front door of the building. The middle school busses are the first ones in line and that's where the trouble seems to start. I'm not about to gallop down there . . . a slow walk maybe. There are two aides that ride those busses so they should take care of any problems, I hope.

Two more days and then the weekend is here once again! I only have one more day because I have my appt. with the dermatologist on Friday. It's at 9:30 and since it is 75 miles from home there was no point in coming back for school since we get out at 1:30.

Not much else is newsy from here. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #13  

Good morning all. It is nice and cool here this morning, but it is still getting into the 80's during the day.

Jay called last night a couple times to talk about the baseball game. They played horribly and lost big so am finished watching for the year. I was pretty fed up with them last night. Anyway, they are coming down here at Thanksgiving and we are blending Christmas into it so I had his dad ask him if he wanted kieflies this year. He said yes, and his dad said something like you better bring some down here then (you can buy them at some of the Hungarian bakeries up there) Jay said something smarty pants back, made his dad laugh and I asked what he said. Jack told me, I can't even remember what it was except it was about me, so I told him I forgot how to make them. I haven't made them in a couple years so Jack and I will tackle a batch a week or so befor Thanksgiving. They take all day to do and though I love the cookie, I dread making them. I have to have Jack's help and I don't know how my elderly grandma made them by herself every year. They wear me out. I told Jack I thought we should make half batch this year, which is 5 dozen. Just enough for the holiday and we can send a dozen home each with the kids who both love them and beg for them every year. I got the cookie and brownies from T's fund raiser and made up a few to see how good or bad they were. I haven't tried the brownie batter, but made 4 of the oatmeal raisin and a few of the chocolate chip. They are surprisingly good so I will keep them frozen and make them for the holiday. I also make fudge so will do that a couple days before as it gets grainy when it is made too far ahead, though I use the fantasy fudge recipe and it always comes out perfect.

I have to get Christmas shopping done for the boys and the stocking stuffers and the toys for tots gifts all done a month early too besides Thanksgiving stuff. I think I am going to go with getting the premade smoked turkey from across the street again this year. It went over well last year. I am going to get ham, which I like as well. Kelly is inviting her friends to join us as they have no family here so it will be another couple and their two kids. We should be fine because I had lots of leftovers last year.

Maggie: I need to have my pedi and manicure and a haircut, but I am going to wait until next week. Fortune goes on Saturday to get his done. His nails have gotten a bit long and he is driving me nuts chewing on them. Fortune always looks bigger too, but he is pretty small when he comes home. He only weighs around 10 lbs and is probably medium sized for a yorkie. My dd's dog weighs about what ragg mopp does and is much bigger. I wanted a smaller dog so I could easily cart him around so Fortune is perfect.

Jean: This will be the first year we have set up a tree in years as Butterscotch would always climb up the trunk and knock it over so we couldn't put one up. I hope to go all out this year on decorations even though we aren't having it at our house. I think maybe I will talk to Kelly about doing the Christmas thing on Friday since her friends will there for Thanksgiving. I wouldn't want them to feel left out or the kids feel bad because of T's or Jackson's gifts. So maybe we will have cookies and eggnog and stuff like that and then do the present thing at my house on Friday. After all I bought all those gorgeous needlepoint stockings with there names on them that I have yet to ever put up. Hope Ernie behaves himself and isn't in trouble anymore. Speaking of dog house, my parents had friends who we called aunt and uncle and they had two girls. They were more my oldest sister's age and the oldest girl was my sister's best friend. Anyway, I remember they had this plaque in the kitchen on the wall that was a dog house and then there were 4 dogs with a name for each on them. When someone was in trouble, etc, they were placed in the dog house. The oldest girl seemed to ALWAYS be in that dog house when we would go over there. lol Just to give you an idea she was pregnant by age 16 (she is about 64 now so you know it was back in the day when that was actually bigtime taboo) and ran with a bad crowd. She didn't ever graduate, maybe got her GED as an adult, I don't know, but she always reminded me of Cher. She kind of looked like her, she flitted from man to man, I think her kids have 3-4 different dads. She did settle down in her later years and has been married for about 20 years now to a nice man. She is nice enough, but Jack can't stand her. She is VERY outspoken and assertive to the point of being rude and the couple times she has been at my sister's house when we were there we ended up leaving with an excuse early.

Susan: Beef stew sounds yummy. I like to make it, but my beef stew is pretty poor on veggies. Jack doesn't like a variety put in so it ends up with meat, carrots, potatoes and onions! In fact, I think I have a piece of sirloin and I may cut it up and make some stew for tonight or tomorrow.

I woke up with a tichy tummy, which I do sometimes so I am sort of working through that. Nothing serious, just a bit of sour nauseous feeling that usually goes away an hour or so after being up and around.

To the chores, to the chores....Have a good one everybody!
Faye
Old 10-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #14  
Thin Within

Default Thursday

GOOD MORNING ON THIS SECOND DAY OF ROCTOBER

It is fixin to be a georgeous day here in the neighborhood. It is curently 55 and the expecant high is 79 which is in the perfect category. Sunny and clear sky.

I am going to straighten up the house and then . . . . don't have a clue. Just sipping my first cup of java and not throughly awake so to speak. I am anxesously (is that a word?) awaiting my glass order so I can get to working on my holiday projects. It is fun teaching Will about his computer about highlighting and copying and transfering etc. He thinks I am amazing but how many years have I been at it ~ wow lots of years for sure. But every once in awhile he calls me in his room and gets a lesson. He is smart and a quick study so will have it down in no time. And my mistique vanishes for he was computer illiterate for all those years I was learning all that I did about it. Now he will learn it really wasn't that difficult at all. Have any of you ever heared of powdered peanut butter? A gal had a jar of it at WW last time and I was amazed. Just add water and it is half the points of regular. They say it tastes good also. Funny ~ powdered peanut butter. One of the gals had bought a case and was selling the jars for she didn't need the whole case.

DONNA Your holiday plans sound interesting. I love a crowd. I have a fudge recipe that is easy and doesn't get that grainey texture and uses fantasy marshmellow stuff. If you want I'll e-mail you the recipe. It is the Sees Candies recipe. Makes 5 pounds and freezes wonderfully. I give some away during the holidays in cute little boxes. I would love to have that all day cookie recipe of yours ~ sounds like a fun thing to spend a day on.

Everyone have a wonderful second day of ROCTOBER
Old 10-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all. Just a quick post today as I have several things I need to get done.

Maggie: I have the fantasy fudge recipe with the marshmallow cream. It is the one I always use, but it can get grainy if it dries out too much or gets too old so I don't want to make it too far ahead. I don't know how it would do if you froze it. I have never tried have you?

I guess it is sad to say it is again not the Cubs year. They had the best season they have had in 60 years and they have choked and lost the first two games of the playoff. They still have a slim chance, but they have to win 3 in a row, two of them being in CA so I highly doubt it, along with the fact they have lost with big scores. I tried to tell my son and husband that they were not going to win if they played like they had been playing, even had a heated argument with Jack about it, but they are seeing every point I made was true. Guess it stings to have a WOMAN be right about sports though.

Tomorrow is commissary day so I have to work up a menu and a shopping list. I do so love that trip as you know.

I have started Christmas shopping and am purchasing some books for the boys. It will be a few months before Jackson will sit and listen to stories, but I wanted to get him some Mercer Mayer books as I did his daddy. I bought several of the "little critter" books including, Just Me and My Dad, Just Me and My Mom, Just Me and My Grandpa, and of course Just Me and My Grandma. Jay loved Just Me and My Dad so much when he was around two and it was his favorite book for several years. I would still love to get Jackson an old Weeble treehouse, but finding then affording them is hard. Most sell for around $75 and up on Ebay.

Gals you have a nice day and weekend. Gonna start on some chores.
Faye