Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211.4/207.6/150

Height: 5'7.5''

Default I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

At what weight did you start exercising? Or did you start exercising as soon as you started whatever diet you are on?

Thanks
Mommywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6.5

You can start exercising no matter what weight you are at. Exercising is typically a big part of the loosing weight. But start small and work your way up. It always helps me to work towards a goal... I really like the "Couch to 5K" program.
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

I always exercised first. I would "commit" myself to losing weight and would go to the gym, but do nothing about my eating, so that's always come pretty easy.

Even if you don't exercise now, you can work up to it by walking, swimming, etc... Just do something that you know you can do every day (or almost). I think I really benefited from working out because I could mark my progress in ways that didn't necessarily involve the scale (although it affected it).

ETA: I do know that you can exercise all you want, but if you aren't eating well you won't benefit much. There are a few people on here who due to physical limitations or whatever have managed to lose a significant amount of weight by diet alone and I do feel like it's 90% diet and 10% exercise. However, I've also noticed that exercise is really important for maintenance, at least for me

Last edited by junebug41; 10-01-2008 at 11:28 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #4  
*insert inspiration here*

S/C/G: 286/185/130

Well, the first time around, I started exercising before I started eating right...I wasn't quite ready to give it up...but then I started eating very little so I stopped working out because I wasn't taking in enough calories...still lost weight. This time around, I'm trying to do it evenly...though I'm still in the habit of cutting my calories drastically when I don't work out.
caligirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/244/150

Height: 5'9"

I started my diet last monday, and now I joined the october fitness challange so I committed myself to sixty minutes each of cardio and weight training. Start today.

ducky0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #6  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'6"

i started to do Walk away the pounds when i was 223 and decided i needed to do something. i wasn't even calorie counting at that point, but i was exercising.
sxulcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I always tackle exercise first... then make modifications to my diet.

When I exercise it gives me a sense of accomplishment, so once it became a habit I would make modifications to my food intake. For me once exercise becomes habit it motivates me to eat better.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #8  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurie View Post
I always tackle exercise first... then make modifications to my diet.

When I exercise it gives me a sense of accomplishment, so once it became a habit I would make modifications to my food intake. For me once exercise becomes habit it motivates me to eat better.
this is true... i just can't do the treadmill yet or bike.... damn knee

but i'm going to start to do my WATP videos tonight to see if i can do them yet
sxulcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #9  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

everyone's bodies are different. for me i exercise only when i want to, but that is because when i was 18 i lost over 100 lbs in less than six months because i was eating like a bird and exercising 4 plus hours a day. of course i didnt keep it off and when i gained it all back i gained that and then some. this time around i decided i didnt want to be a slave to exercise.
with that said, it is important to know this, while i have had success with eating healthy and exercising at my convenience, and knowing i'm doing something i can really stick with, i've kinda screwed myself by not exercising on a more regular basis, this is why, LOOSE SKIN!
the more weight you have to lose the more of a risk you run of having excess skin. i think age is also a factor, but now i don't know what i'm going to do about this loose skin trainwreck i have going on EVERYWHERE.
this is what i think about exercise..............i don't think you HAVE to exercise just to lose weight (i'm living proof of that) but the benefits of exercising are huge, i mean of course you will feel better, you will lose more quickly, make your body stronger, and tone up all at the same time, and in the end, don't we all want to look better, live longer and be the healthiest we possibly can be?
yours truely
the exercise hypocrite
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 211.4/207.6/150

Height: 5'7.5''

Thanks for the replies everyone I am already doing some walking/powerwalking and light weight lifting but i was just curious as to what everyone else did when they started...
Mommywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #11  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

I started exercising as soon as I decided to lose weight....
i started moderately and eating more than what i do now....
and gradually increase intensity and time of workouts....
and dropped my food intake to what it is now!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

I started walking as soon as I decided to lose weight. I also did some light weight and ab stuff. However, I didn't begin running until I was below 200lbs, as I was worried about joint injuries.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

I began simple walking when I was about 320 lbs.
I began walking on the treadmill when I was 300.
And then walking with an incline probably 20 pounds after that... and then jogging/walking about 250ish.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post
I started walking as soon as I decided to lose weight. I also did some light weight and ab stuff. However, I didn't begin running until I was below 200lbs, as I was worried about joint injuries.
Good for you! I didn't even think about running until a couple of years after I hit my goal. It's always been so uncomfortable and I'm sure I could have started sooner, but I think I was a little scared.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #15  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

I started running on the elliptical and weights every other day...so far it has been 2 weeks and I am feeling 100 times better.
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote