Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default What the?? Q about induction

I have the Atkins book somewhere but still can't find it so give me a few days to rummage around. Until then... I'm confused!

I'm wondering if I did Atkins right the first time round now.

With induction, I'm meant to eat as much protein as it takes to help me become satisfied and 15 - 20 carbs a day in the form of 2-3 cups of salad or 2 cups of salad one cup of vegtables.... right?

So I had 2 cups of iceburg lettuce and one tomato like I used to, but now I'm looking at the carb content in them. Iceberg lettuce has 0.1 carbs per 1/2 cup and a tomato has about 1.something carbs which is nowhere near 15-20 carbs.

Am I missing something? Because to make up 20 carbs in salad I'd have to have bowls and bowls full not 1-2 cups. What am I missing here? Even if I were to mix it up with another cup of vegetables I still wouldn't be close. Should I be eating a-loooooot more?
Shrinkabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Until you find your Atkins book, you may find it helpful to go here: http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/lifestyle.htm

You are correct, 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day need to be coming from veggies & salad on the acceptable foods list. Personally, I never measured salad or veggies...I was always of the addage that no one ever got fat eating too much salad or too many veggies In my personal opinion, iceberg lettuce has very little nutritional value, you would be better off using romaine or baby spinach. A tomato, contains 5.7 total carbs with 1.4 grams fiber = 4.3 net carbs.

I know this isn't what you really want to hear but...you really do need to read the book to assure you are doing this correctly.

All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #3  
I Can Do This!!

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5'7"

There are carbs in eggs, cheese, splenda, and cream as well. If you go to http:/www.fitday.com you can plug in what foods you ate for the day and figure out your carb counts. Tho fitday does not minus the fiber. You would be surprised how easy it is to eat 20 carbs.
makingachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/262/135

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the tip about fitday.com. I love it!
whisperinghope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #5  
I Can Do This!!

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5'7"

Whisperinghope, just remember that fitday uses total carbs not net carbs(they don't subtract the fiber). I think they are great too. Made me realize I was eating way too few calories and fat, and way under carbs as well. I just started to eat more and I am anxiously awating the results.
makingachange is offline   Reply With Quote