Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Embarrassed to say this but..

Okay, so I just attempted to work out for the first time in who knows how long. I'm embarrassed to say I could not even finish Jillian's circuit training DVD for beginners. I barely could make it half way through and I was so out of breath I kept having to take breaks. I know a little bit is better than nothing, it just makes me sad to realize I'm 22 yrs old and so out of shape. *sigh* Sorry for my venting, I know I'm probably being a little hard on myself but it's so frustrating, as I'm sure a lot of you all know.

I'm not going to give up, I'm going to keep trying to make it longer through the DVD. Patience, patience, patience. Something I'm not very good at!
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

it's ok! It's a hard video. I wanted to give a couple of times and I've been working out hard core the last two months and running a lot. Don't be hard on yourself. You're doing great!
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

That's why I started with DVDs - didn't have to be embarrassed in front of a whole gym full of fit people

Don't feel bad and hang in there. I'm doing a different program but when I started, I couldn't finish a whole set of ANY of the moves on my beginner DVD and some of the moves I simply couldn't do because my gut and thighs kept getting in each others way . But I kept at it anyway, started feeling better by the end of the second week, and after about 8 weeks I could actually get through the whole thing. I've even moved up to the 'intermediate' routine and am almost ready to tackle the 'advanced'. Just do the best you can and I promise your best will get better by the week

Last edited by yoyonomoreinvegas; 09-24-2008 at 06:57 PM.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #4  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Hey, it's ok! It's great that you are not going to give up. Remember how tough this first time was, so that in a few weeks you can compare it to how much easier it will be then!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #5  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Oh you are CERTAINLY not alone! I've been wanting to take self defense classes for so long - but even my simple beginners yoga class had me nearly fainting not ten minutes in to it. Just be sure to take it slow, and remind yourself that we've all been there
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

The thing is, it just doesn't matter where you start from. It just *is.* The only thing that matters is that you're changing. If this happened to a friend you love, what would you say?

Congrats for starting! The worse shape you're in, the harder it is to start. So that says something great about you for starting!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 138/114/105

Height: 5'0

I'm with you. I just started this whole lifestyle change in early september when I realized I'm about to turn 25 and happened to have fallen into the worst shape of my life. I am the heaviest I have ever been and I have not had children yet! So, I am doing a workout that consists of clips from the biggest loser dvds. I am doing a beginner of bob's cardio max, a beginner of jillian's power sculpt and also jillian's beginner 30 day shred. I try to get through the 20 minute workouts steady through like they claim you need... but I often have to stop for a minute or two to yawn or catch my breath because I feel like I can't breathe. It is hard and it doesn't get that much easier when I skip days from exercising. I wish you the best of luck, but know that you are NOT alone!
mermaid20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Thank you ladies SO much. I really needed that. This is why I love this board!!
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

This should make you feel better. It is also NO FUN to be 39 and out of shape. Talk about making you feel older than you are. It is so fabulous that you are starting now. Good for you
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

We're all with you on this one! I remember getting on the elliptical at the gym and feeling like I was going to die after 3 minutes! I was mortified and cried that night but all that matters is I kept going and now I've done 10K's and triathlons. Just keep at it!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Hang in there. You'll be amazed at how quickly you gain stamina and speed if you just keep on. I remember when I couldn't go 10 mins on the elliptical (at the lowest setting) w/out panting and sweating and feeling like I was going to die. Now I routinely do 20 mins of HIIT or 30-45 mins of steady state cardio and I'm still often amazed at the fact that I can actually DO it.

Hang in there!!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #12  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Jillian's workouts are really hard. I'm 43 and decided that her workouts were not good for my knees (too much jumping for me).

Why not start out with something a little easier like a Leslie Sansone walking dvd??

Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 207/ticker/130

Height: 5'0''

Nevaeh,

You are totally NOT alone on that one! I haven't been working out much for the past few months and attempted to get back into it by doing Level 1 of Jillian's 30 Day Shred and it completely kicked my butt. I had to take lots of breaks throughout it. So I decided to try the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs instead and they're working out much better for me. I plan to try the 30 Day Shred again in November after I've gotten back into exercising again. If you need a buddy on your journey through fitness, I'll be glad to help motivate you!
ZetaMD2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #14  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Good for you! Keep at it! I had the same problem when I first started exercising. I could barely get through a new video and am now to the point where I have to do more challenging ones because the first one doesn't even make me break a sweat anymore.

It will get easier!
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #15  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

That will pass!!! I am sure you will soon be able to finish it. It will give you a great satisfaction that little by little, you are getting a bit farther each time.
Don't worry about finishing - just keep working out.

I recently got the Workout DVD by Jackie Warner (of the Workout TV series). It has 3 parts - upper body, legs, core. Each part runs 20 minutes. You can do them separately or all together. I am doing the core part and even though I have been doing Pilates and core classes at my gym, I sweat and pant like crazy, and it's only 20 minutes.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote