Old 09-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/217.8/170

Height: 5'6''

Default When is it best to weigh in?

Me and my husband had a discussion on the best way to monitor your weight. Should you look at your weight on an everyday basis or just once a week.
motiv8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Every one is different, there's no one right answer. Lots of people have to weigh in only once a week (or even once a month) or they drive themselves crazy. The day-to-day fluctuations can wreak havoc with their moods and choices. And doing it every day makes them feel obsessed.

Me, I like to weigh every day. I think I would be more obsessed if I had to WAIT a week . And seeing the daily fluctuations actually makes it easier, for me, to not freak out over scale numbers. Because I can see how it varies.

And I don't think, hmmm, l won't weigh for another 6 days, this little off plan choice won't hurt ...

Plus, daily weights give you a chance to correlate the things you eat with what you weigh (for example, water retention). And really, I just like having lots of data .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #3  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

I agree with JulieJ, I am also a daily weigher.....I take one weekly weight measurement for my ticker, but I weigh myself almost every day at the same time (early morning). I like to see the fluctuations...it makes me more likely to stick to the plan when I see how far I've got to go each day to meet my weekly goal.

But, there are a lot of people who like to weigh once a week. For me, I don't like being surprised. So if my "official" weigh-in day for my ticker is Tuesdays (which it is now, to coincide with the Biggest Loser on tv ), then I will definitely be weighing myself Sunday and Monday so I know where I'm at. That way there's no moment of shock if I don't make my goal or if I gain....I already know what I'm dealing with and I have time to accept it. That's just my own personal thought process.
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #4  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

once a month for me. I don't have much to lose anymore and i don't lose fast and stable like everyone, so weighing myself just to know that i don't lose a single lbs is sad.
But i measure myself once per week, or 3 times / week.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/193/140

Height: 5'4"

I weigh every day, but my "official" weight is what I weigh on Mondays because it's my Weight Watchers weigh in day. Plus it makes me stay on plan on the weekend, when otherwise I'd be tempted to cheat.
girl anachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

I am an every day weigher as well. I find that after a while you get used to the fluctuations, and just accept the odd days when you are suddenly 2 pounds heavier than the day before -- because there are other days when you are just as far down. I also keep a monthly chart and plot my weight for each morning on it -- that way I can look back and see that wonderful downward trend over a month. I think the charting further adds to the lack of importance for each day's weight for me. Actually, I have a little computer program that gives me a five day running average for my weight too -- I think that is a much more accurate portrayal of where I am then any particular single morning's weight.

Basically, I think weighing every day does three things for me. 1) It helps keeps me accountable EVERY day for what I do -- no temptation to eat badly one day a week because I have ALL week before I weigh in again. 2) It decreases the importance of the individaul weigh-ins. I have dieted when I weighed once a week, and I found it more damaging to my psyche when the number didn't change, etc. 3) Charting daily weights each month help to keep me sane. I can look back and see the patterns. Like this week for instance -- I have suddenly popped up a pound and a half and sat there for four days. It was irritating me, until I pulled out the last two month's charts. Presto! If you put the three chart's over each other, the pattern has been repeated during this last week of each of the three months almost exactly. TOM is still over a week away, but apparently my water retention starts well over a week out. If I had not been charting, I would not have recognized or remembered this pattern so perfectly.

However, everyone is different. What is most important is to find out what will work for you.

Last edited by Schumeany; 09-28-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 228/228/170

Height: 5'7

I like to weigh myself once a week. Doing everyday for me and not seeing what i would like to see could become depressing hahaha. So to keep my spirits up i keep it at a week!
Ladybug18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #8  
lost in translation

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'4

Schumeany described my feelings really well.

I weigh most days and then pretty much forget about it. BUT if I weigh every week the number takes on a bigger significance somehow-- it just matters more. When I was weighing once a week (a few months ago) I wouldn't even want to eat dinner the night before my weigh in!
mariarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

I also weigh pretty much every day....or at least several times a week. I don't want the surprise on official weigh in day of maybe not losng as much as I was hoping to, or even gaining.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #10  
pretty.nerd.girl.

S/C/G: 9999999

I do weighins once a week. When I did daily weighins, the fluctuations definitely affected my mood and outlook on my weight loss journey.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #11  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

I have to hold myself away from my scale and only weigh in once a week. Otherwise I get depressed if it goes up at all. Besides it makes me more in tune to what my body is doing and not just how much I weigh. LIke for example in that week I might notice that my clothes fit better or that I have more energy but if I was weighing myself everyday (like i was)I was just be obsessed with that and not what is REALLY important. Being healthy and feeling better
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I'm definitely obsessed. But I wrote on a sheet of paper all the mondays for the next 3 months and "officially" weigh myself on Monday mornings. It gives me an accurate tracking of my loss.
Dont know what I picked monday, just did.

Last edited by raw23; 09-28-2008 at 10:31 PM.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #13  
Ashley

S/C/G: 175/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

I weigh in once a month in the morning cuz I know if I weigh in once a week or every 2 weeks I would drive myself crazy. I'll become obsessed. I know if I gain weight at the end of the month when I weigh in it just makes me push myself even harder. To lose the weight I've gained or lost alot of weight.
jmfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:05 AM   #14  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

everyday in the morning keeps me on track....
every week might be better for you tho....
its one of those personal things....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:15 AM   #15  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

everyday would drive me nuts. I go with once a week to maintain my mental health
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote