Old 09-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #1  
Just Starting Out Again!

S/C/G: 218/218/135

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy What do I do when my DH comes home!

I have just started Weight Watchers again since after moving 1100 miles away from my family, having no job for three months and been very depressed, I have gained another 18 lbs. I knew it was time to get moving when I realized I couldn't do a jumping jack! So I have been so good - exercising every day, staying within my points. The problem is my fiance is coming home tomorrow - with him friends from up north - and he is such a bad influence. We go out and have pina coladas and margaritas - chips and cheese, pulled pork - everything that got me in this mess in the first place. I know I need to explain to him the importance of this to me and to help me by being supportive - I'm just nervous that I will fall again and continue on this downward spiral!
Bamagal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Tell him just exactly what you told us.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/183/136

Height: 5'2"

Bargo is right.

In the end it is the choices that you make. Instead of a pina colada have a light beer or rum and diet coke. Instead of chips and cheese have a few pretzels or veggies. Instead of pulled pork have chicken breast with bbq sauce. This is not impossible...but the world will always have food that is greasy and we can not use that as our excuse for giving up. And Remember the beauty of this plan is that you can use those 35 points for a treat now and again...just plan for it and don't fall into that trap that looks like this..."I had those french fries so I might as well eat the cake, donut, pina colada and pulled pork." If you fall off the wagon pick yourself back up!

Good luck you can do this!
-Phil
philadelphiab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #4  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

I agree with the others, exactly what you told us! My hubby brews beer and is a wonderful cook, I just explained to him how important this was to me and that I really needed his support. I explained to him that I was using points to keep track of what I eat and whatever he saw my eating, be it carrot sticks or a carefully planned treat of a cookie, I had thought it through. (Basically explained that I didn't need either "is that all you're going to eat?" or "are you sure you need to eat that?" comments.)

It was also important for me to explain to him that, at meals, it was important for me to be the one to put the food on my plate. That way I could control my portions instead of having 3 servings of rice dished out.
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

As the others have said. Tell him. You may find that he wants to help as best he can.

But then accept that every bite is a choice. Your choice. You don't always have to go along to get along. You can say "I don't want to go out for drinks tonight". You can say "I'm making myself this healthy dinner... if you don't want it, please help yourself to what you do want."
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #6  

Height: 4' 10"

You can still go with him. Just say No to the things that you don't want. They just want your company, not to see what you eat. It's your choice. Don't ever let anyone influence you to do things you don't want to do.

I was at a birthday party this summer and passed on the cake. I had so many people ask me why I didn't want any, I couldn't believe it. Luckily I was taking pictures of the 1 year old eating her special cake and used that as an excuse to get everyone off my back. Your stronger than you think you are!

~Dolly
DollyLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

One good thing is that you know what to expect when your fiance comes home. I'd take this time to plan what you will be eating. If you are going to a particular restaurant then find out what's on the menu beforehand and make the best choices you can. If you are going to friends/family's house to eat then offer to make a dish to bring along and make sure it's healthy and satisfying to you. I also TOTALLY agree with everyone saying you should talk to your fiance. Be positive, tell him how much you've missed him and can't wait to spend time with him BUT that you are trying to be healthier and would appreciate his help in achieving your goal.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #8  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
As the others have said. Tell him. You may find that he wants to help as best he can.

But then accept that every bite is a choice. Your choice. You don't always have to go along to get along. You can say "I don't want to go out for drinks tonight". You can say "I'm making myself this healthy dinner... if you don't want it, please help yourself to what you do want."
Yes yes yes! I was going to write a post that would have been exactly this
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote