Old 09-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #1  

Post For those who workout at home.....

Hi every1!

I am doing this a little different this time I'm not doing the gym thing......I love the gym but just isn't in my budget this year.....I am in dire need for exercise ideas for the up coming winter months I live in VT and ya know we get alot of snow and alot of cold and i need to keep motivated for my workout plans for the winter and am looking forward to all of your ideas!

~Bayb
baybbrowneyes30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/159/130

Height: 5'6"

I don't go to the gym, but I do have an elliptical at home (not an expensive one either!). I usually alternate the elliptical, floor work and some free weights and then I bought several workout videos on days I don't feel like using the elliptical.

I think working out at home can be a bit monotonous, so if you enjoy workout vidoes, you may want to purchase or rent some to alternate to add a little variety. I have fallen in love with The Firm videos lately, so I bought about 10 of those to work into my routine.
inanesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #3  

Thank you for the reply, Great ideas! and yes I agree can get a lil boring at home.

Keep em coming

~Bayb
Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a home gym myself because I figured it was a better investment than a gym membership, although now I have a swim membership. My swim center also has a full (but small) gym and is fairly inexpensive for membership.

I have an elliptical, a free weight 'machine' (hard to describe but it has a cable pulley, lat bar, and a fullsize barbell on it), dumbbells, kettlebells, a step, a bosu, resistance bands and a ball. I also have a road bike and I bought a trainer which means I can use the bike indoors. My home gym has been built up within the past 3 years or so and every so often, I add something new.

So... it really depends on what you have and what you have room for. Do you have dumbbells? Resistance bands? A step? A ball?

I would say invest in a ball as they are so versatile. A mat is always useful for doing exercises on (prevents rug burn or softens hard surfaces). Resistance bands are great if you don't have any dumbbells.

Oh and also I have my older TV/VCR/DVD player in my gym room. I highly recommend watching something on TV when working out.

Last edited by nelie; 09-25-2008 at 10:45 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #5  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Okay, alot of people think it's rubbish... but have you tried tai chi? I found some old tapes on our tv package and tried them out and I love them. They're easy, relaxing and really make you feel better physically and mentally. Just something for you to try out, it's not everybodies cup of tea but I love it.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #6  

Default Thank you for all the replies....

Thanks to all for all the great ideas.....I'm a little short on space but i can get some use out of the Bands, dumbells and balance ball ect...Not only have you given me ideas for exercise but also some reward ideas of things i don't have...I try not to reward myself with food so I get things I need for this healthy lifestyle and thats one motivater for me!

~Bayb
Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I would say invest in a ball as they are so versatile. A mat is always useful for doing exercises on (prevents rug burn or softens hard surfaces). Resistance bands are great if you don't have any dumbbells.
These would have been my suggestions as well.

Also, if you have a couple of 1/2 gallon plastic milk cartons, you can fill them with water or sand (1/2 full, all the way full, whatever) and they serve as pretty decent weights for things like curls and presses. It's nice to use the milk cartons because they have handles that make it easier to hold. Also if you don't fill them all the way, the weight shifts as you lift them, so you get kind of the effect of kettlebells. And a milk carton filled with sand is much cheaper than a kettlebell!

Also just basic body resistance stuff is good - pushups, tricep dips off a dining room chair, stepups onto a dining room chair, squats, lunges, all kinds of crunches and leg lifts, etc. You don't need any special equipment for any of that.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I work out at home. I have a bowflex, and some free weights. Plus a s*load of DVDs. You can get some strength training books out of the library to help you build routines.

I love The Firm stuff, and pilates. I vary things, as it is easy to get bored. If you have Netflix, you can get exercise dvds and just check them out. If you don't like the workout, send it back. I love it!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Hi Fellow New Englander!

I work out at home on the weekends. I have a few DVDs that a cycle. And I have a yoga book that I've used to begin doing yoga on my own.

I have a Walk Away the Pounds video, Richard Simmons Party Off the Pounds, and Just My Size Yoga. Yes, besides the yoga Dvd, they're a little cheesy and the motivations that they use a little corny, but they brighten my day, and they get me moving.

I like the idea of building up your own home gym, too.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #10  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I work out at home too. I have an exercise bike, treadmill, elliptical, mini stepper, and bowflex. I didn't buy everything Freecycle rocks!!

I mainly do the elliptical and freeweights in my routine but lately I have been walking 4 miles every morning at our park near by since the weather has been awesome plus freeweights at home.

I have DVD's too but if I do them too much they bore me to tears

If you have limited space I love the mini stepper...it can give your legs a good workout.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #11  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I had a used stationary bike last year but now I work out on a used elliptical machine. I do pilates and hope to walk at the local track (its being built right now) this winter.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:17 AM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Have you considered a mini-trampouline for cardio? http://www.trampoline101.com/trampoline-games/

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 09-26-2008 at 10:21 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #13  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Smile

baybbrowneyes30, I workout from home and don't want to change it I was a member of a gym that was less than 5 mins from where I live and on my way home from work. I went few times but would always lose motivation so ended up wasting lots of money. Finally I cancelled the membership and decided to buy a treadmill, nothing too flashy but something that will get the job done comfortably. So I bought one from Walmart for about $200 (motorized), it's small to fit in my little space in the basement, folds verticle if not using it and gives me mileage, calories burned and time. I wanted to get something cheaper also cuz I wasn't sure how much I'll get into it. I did not want to spend $1000 on something I would barely use. To date I've been using my treadmill fairly regularly. And I also bought Firm DVDs to give me something else to do in case I got bored. The whole kit comes with weights also which is enough to get you going. I definitely have a TV in front of my treadmill as music even though I love will not keep me going for 50 mins on the treadmill. So I am watching movies or catching up on my old shows via netflix while doing my treadmill. Also if you have netflix membership you can rent some workout dvds to try them out before you go ahead and buy them

Hope this helps

Last edited by pintobean; 09-26-2008 at 11:13 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/181.6/150

Height: 5'7"

I've been trying to discipline myself to work out at home. Like you, can't renew my gym membership this year due to financial constraints. I've found that through my cable service provider I have access to on-demand fitness TV. I can just go to the menu and choose work-out videos that interest me.

It’s a great way to sample what suits your needs and keeps you motivated. Not sure, what cable or satellite is like in all parts of the country. But you may want to check is something like that is available to you. The videos I have access to are complimentary shows and I do not have to pay an additional fee to access them!
Rhfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #15  
Running up that hill

I live in Hollywood where the gyms are packed full 24/7 and you have to wait forever to get on any machines. And the people there tend to look at you like you have some contagious disease if you don't look like a Barbie Doll

So I decided to put my gym membership money toward an elliptical. Did some research and threw down a chunk of change but it was worth it.
Works great! Also use small weights, balance ball, resistance bands and yoga.

I LOVE working out at home-no more excuses, no more waiting for equipment, no more bad music blaring, no more getting on a machine covered with sweat that isn't mine(yuck).
I've bad knees, so the elliptical is a great choice because it's weight bearing full body exercise but still low impact.
I love it!

Last edited by Treacle; 09-26-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: edit
Treacle is offline   Reply With Quote