Old 09-26-2008, 12:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default Getting Motivated

Okay. I know I want to lose weight but I just can't seem to make myself stick to something. I can do it for a month or so then I slack off. I have lost about 17 lbs and I have maintained that since the end of June, but I haven't lost anymore. This is not a plateau I haven't been trying to lose weight but I seriously need too. I am at about 243lbs now and I feel awful about myself. In high school which was only 2 years ago I was 140lbs. I have gained over 100lbs. I also had a baby within the last year but that gives me no reason to gain over 100lbs and not have it off or somewhat off by now.

What things do others do to stay motivated? And what do you find is the most effecient method to use to lose weight? Calorie counting seems to work, but I don't feel like I have much variety and I have also done Low Carb and I lose a lot of weight on that in high school about 50lbs fast, which I know is not always the best way to lose it.
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

some days im not motivated. you just have to form a habit, and do what you have to do, so that you're not kicking yourself on those days when you are motivated. For me, calorie counting has been efficient. I think it gives me a fair amount of variety, i can have what i want as long as its within my calorie limit. Any diet is going to restrict you, it just depends on what restriction works for you
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:04 AM   #3  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

on days im not so motivated i just do my normal workouts....
on days i am motivated im always looking for reasons to be on the go all the time....
work tends to be good for this, for me atm....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

Since my boyfriend has some weight to lose too, I asked him today if he wanted to have a contest with me. I have trouble sticking on track when it comes to dieting. I think if me and him go at this together I will be able to stay on track better and lose the weight that I need to. Basically our contest is as follows: whoever loses the most weight in a month has to buy the other person something...haven't decided what shall be bought. I think my diet approach will be to incorporate several different diets I have tried in the past. For the first two days I will use the take off plan that I did on LAWL but I will use cantelope. So day one and two I will eat lots of cantelope and unlimited green vegetables and protein. After that little detox I will just count calories and try and eat 5 small meals a day.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #5  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

I have been having a very dificult time with motivation as well, since I need to see results to be motivated and this early in the game, results aren't that dramatic. I'm focusing on creating a habit/schedule/lifestyle rather than use motivation to keep me going. I'm adding better portion control and eating choices, as well as exercise routine as just the status quo, rather than being motivated to do it. Now I go to the gym on my lunch break-it's just what I do, every day, like brushing my teeth or making dinner for the family. It's easier for me than waiting for the motivation fairy to sprinkle her dust on me.
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but......I found that motivation does not last. Period. I've tried to use motivation for years to lose weight, and all it got me was going from 15lbs over weight to 75lbs. I have not lost 45lbs over the last year by maintaining motivation. Determination, preserverance, committment, that is what has helped me. Motivation still comes and goes. One week I may be thrilled to pound away on the treadmill for hours, the next the very thought may be loathsome, but both reactions receive the same result....I'm on the treadmill.

Last edited by MonteCristo; 09-26-2008 at 12:06 PM.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I just want to say congratulations on the weight loss, and also on the maintaining. Both are big successes!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

So, how do you get determination, preserverance, commitment? I am in the same boat as Kayhm0711. I go well for a couple months and then I slack. I used to go to the gym after work since it's just across the street, but after a month, I started feeling sick about the idea. I also used to drink a bunch more water when I was hungry between meals, now I am just giving in! Is it possible that my body is just not ready for weight loss?
amandarose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #9  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

It's not your body, it's your brain. Set gym goals and concrete rewards for meeting those goals. For me I'm going to reward myself with a mani/pedi or a new pair of earrings, etc for every month I reach my # of gym trips per month. I personally cannot stand to go to the gym right now. As I get more into a routine it will get better for me, but right now, having pretty nails and a hand massage are what's keeping me in my sweats. I hate to have to essentially bribe myself, but what ever works, and then I have less $$ to waste on snacks that aren't good for me!
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #10  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

setting gym goals has really helped me too. I have a little notebook and in it I plan my work outs for the week, with what im going to do, what my goal is for each work out, and the progress that i make. It gives me something to aim for, and it really makes the time go faster (usually ). Instead of thinking "oh god, another 20mins to go?!?" you end up thinking "oh god, only another 20 mins to do x km?!?!"
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote