Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #1  

Height: 4' 10"

Default Anyone Take Fish Oil?

I've been taking fish oil for about 2 years now. I just happened to look at the bottle the other day and noticed that it has 10 calories and 1 g of fat EACH for the kind I take. I started taking 6 a day recently and this is 2 points! Yikes.

I've been reading under the Plateau Busters post from here the benefits of fish oil and how it can even help aid you in weight loss (they suggest 6 per day, which is when I upped my intake). This may be cheating, but can you take fish oil in place of your oils? I realize that by eating your oils your probably better off, but I often have trouble getting oils in. Although I do hate to waste points by not getting to chew something!

Oh FYI, did you know that fish oil is the main ingredient in WD-40?

Anyone have any thoughts or comments about it?
DollyLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I don't know about the effectiveness of fish oil in breaking through plateaus, but I can tell you that if you are following WW "by the book," fish oil capsules do not count towards the daily oil requirements. There is some rule about the oil being measurable I think.

However, if you are really struggling to get the two oils in per day, the fish oil is at least something, right? It depends on how strictly you want to follow the 8 healthy guidelines.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyLang View Post
Oh FYI, did you know that fish oil is the main ingredient in WD-40?
Actually that's an urban myth. You can view their MSDS here:
http://www.mobile-shop.com/parts/msds/P80_WD40.pdf
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'd ask your doctor about taking 6 capsules daily (if they're 1000 mg each). My doctor recommended that I take no more than 2,000 mg daily, which would be only 2 capsules. He didn't say if there was a reason that my max would be any lower than he would give any other patient.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #5  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

I'm taking cod liver oil, a rather high dosage. I have keratosis pilaris (little bumps that look like goosebumps) on the back of my arms and a supplement of CLO is supposed to help them. I didn't even think about the calories and fat involved, though.
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/149/135

Height: 5'5

Hi Kestrel. I also have keratosis pilaris. Does the cod liver oil help? How long have you been taking it? I'd love to find something that will help. Thank you!
irishluck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #7  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

I just started taking it a couple weeks ago (didn't want to start the higher doses while I was pregnant) and am starting to see some improvement, the bumps are slowly starting to go away. If you Google keratosis pilaris and cod liver oil, you'll see several threads about it on mothering.com, that's where I read about it.
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #8  

Height: 4' 10"

I knew you Ladies would have answers for me!

Jaime, I tired to find the post that I read about it. I thought it was on the Plateau Busters post, but maybe it was info I was reading from Real Age. If I come across it I'll post it. I really didn't mean to imply that fish oil would get you through a plateau, just that it was supposed to help aid in weight loss (according to the article) I didn't think I could get away with taking fish oil for my oils, but I had to throw that out there ; ) I'm glad to know that by taking fish oil and getting my oils in that I wouldn't be getting too many oils!

Fat Chick B Gone, don't I feel stupid and naive'? I just recently got an e-mail stating all the things that WD-40 could do-and believed it. Sheesh. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm going to send that info to the person that sent me the e-mail.

Kaplods, I take 180mg each, but I'll be sure never to go over 2,000 mg. Thanks for that tip!

Kestrel, I can't help but wonder if Keratosis Pilaris is what I have. No one has ever given me a name, but I thought one Dr. mentioned one time that I had an extra layer of skin. I'm going to check into this. I just find it to be embarassing. It's on both my arms and legs. It's got better over the years, not quite as red.

~Dolly
DollyLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyLang View Post
Fat Chick B Gone, don't I feel stupid and naive'? I just recently got an e-mail stating all the things that WD-40 could do-and believed it. Sheesh. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm going to send that info to the person that sent me the e-mail.
I only knew because I believed if for a while myself
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I must take the giant fish oil pills, because mine are 1,000 mg each , so I was thinking you were taking 6,000 mg.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #11  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I take fish oil! I'm on depo and it makes my hips pop really bad from an old dance injury. It's like oil to the tinman! Helps a lot. Less popping. No hurting. I don't know anything about it in terms of weight loss though.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote