Old 09-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/149/135

Height: 5'5

Default Forgiving and moving on

I have been doing so well for the last week and a half. I'm loving calorie counting and my workouts have been great. I was almost too confident until today. I had a huge slip up. I was missing that full feeling. I'm a bit overtired, maybe I'm using food as an emotional substitute. I do know that my lack of planning is the main reason for my awful day.

How do forgive yourself for the slip ups? Are there things you tell yourself to get back on track? How do you stop the negative things you tell yourself (ie I'm never going to be able to do this, I'm a failure etc.)

Thank you for all your support!!!
irishluck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #2  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I totally know where you are coming from. I miss that stuffed satisfied ready for a nap feeling all the time. And when I do overeat I know that guilty, self loathing feeling inside. I just try and remember that weightloss is hard, and I'm going to have slip ups, and when I do I have to just pick myself up, brush myself off and keep on keepin on. The way I figure it, if I don't have the occastional binge, I'll forget why I'm doing this to begin with. Just write it down, remember these feelings and the next time you want to overeate, read what you wrote last time and decide if thats how you want to feel again.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Personally, I remind myself that God doesn't love me any less because I had cheeseburger and milkshake.

I DONT tell myself those negative things. I tell myself, yes, I can do this. It may take a long time and I'll have bad days...a lot of them in fact..but I can and I WILL do it.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Don't beat yourself up over this. Get right back on the program and you will be fine.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #5  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

I think truly forgiving yourself is a first step. I have a hard time staying motivated if I feel bad about myself. I try to talk myself back into feeling good again. I start to congratulate myself for how well I have done so far and tell myself how much better I feel now that I have lost some weight. I go look in the mirror at all my progress and tell myself that this is just a little bump in the road, not the cliff to oblivion. But, I also tell myself that just because I forgive myself I still should not give myself permission to binge frequently.

I learned to binge eat because of a crazy childhood in which my feelings were not allowed. I learned to eat to literally "stuff" my feelings. Now, I really try to have my feelings, and explore them rather than eat to appease them. This is not an easy process and usually an extremely stressful time will send me to the refrigerator. So, I try to find other ways to nurture myself and make myself feel better, if that makes sense. This helps me to control my urge to overeat. And understanding why I overeat helps me to forgive myself when I do overeat.
Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i really give that negative voice in my head a good beating there is lots of internal swearing involved like "shut up, you little *******, dont think you can sneak in with those negative thoughts just because of one slip up, **** you!" And i start over. I tell myself slipping up is human, and that one mistake does not make me a failure.

I remember, and reread, what Kaplodds posted a while ago:

"Think about things that people only do with dieting and a few other "bad" habits, like gambling and drug use. Only when we're being "naughty" do we have an all or nothing mentality. If we trip on a step, we don't throw ourselves down a stair case. If we accidentally take an extra dose of medication or vitamins - we don't swallow the whole bottle. If we snap irrationally at our spouse, we don't decide we might as well murder him in his sleep."

It reminds me that weight loss isnt all doom and gloom and that it would be silly to give up because of one binge
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #7  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

slip ups happen....
best thing to do is forget them and get back on that wagon again....
one slip up everyonce in a while wont do no harm....
its when it happens everyday you gotta worry!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/159/130

Height: 5'6"

A slip up is nothing to beat yourself up for. Tomorrow is always another day and if you ate badly one day, you won't gain 20lbs overnight! Plus, if I didn't have a slip up every once in awhile in the form of pizza or a cheeseburger, I would never survive.

One good thing about being healthy and active is eventually you will learn to balance the occasional bad eating episode, and soon you'll either not miss the food at all, or learn to eat it in moderation. If you have dedication to lose weight, a slip up will motivate you to move on and try harder to control your portions later! Everything is a learning experience.
inanesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #9  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I just have to say thanks to all who posted in this thread! I've just had the worst binge and all of these things are helping me remember that I'm only human and I don't always slip up and it doesn't make me a failure. Irish, hang in there! 1 week on plan vs 1 binge day, doesnt look too bad to me
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote