Old 09-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Default There's Nothing like rejection

There is nothing like rejection to make a person feel bad about themselves.

I work for a large corporation. The company is doing a series of commercials and have decided to use real employees while filmining at my local office. It was open to the first 25 to sign up. (A bit of background...I'm an actor/singer by hobby. Love performing and am a regular with our community theater). I signed up and they had a preliminary meeting last week. We were told that they'd use all of us but there were no guarantees on who would make the final edited version of the commercial.

So we all show up this morning with a wardrobe selection, hair and make up done. Only to be told that they've changed the direction of the shoot and that they won't be using everyone after all. We're all to be ready in case they call, but meanwhile, go about your usual day. They selected 6 people out of about 20 and sent us away. Of course the attractive people are the ones who got chosen. Makes me wonder what would have happened has I been 50 pounds lighter. So much for a "reality" commercial.

Boo...disappointment galore. Oh well. At least I look nice for work today. Thanks for "listening" anyway.
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

That's disappointing!

Go home and take your picture, and enjoy how lovely you look today
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Aw, yuck. But you know, it's a statement about them (and not a pretty one), not about you.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #4  

Faerie--I did get some nice comments from the family before I left this morning. That DOES make a gal feel better.

Julie--True. A statement about our society too. As an actor, I've come to accept the rejection is not about me personally, but a vision or "picture" the director has in his head. Still, I really wanted to be a part of a commercial, see how it's filmed, set-up, etc. I'll probably go downstairs and lurk this afternoon and watch anyway.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance View Post
Julie--True. A statement about our society too. As an actor, I've come to accept the rejection is not about me personally, but a vision or "picture" the director has in his head.
Quite true. And that vision is so screwed up.

Quote:
Still, I really wanted to be a part of a commercial, see how it's filmed, set-up, etc.
Yep. That was the "yuck" part.

Quote:
I'll probably go downstairs and lurk this afternoon and watch anyway.
You really should, if that's what you really want.Have fun .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #6  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

That sucks.

And it isn't fair.

It definitely isn't the kind of statement a company should be wanting to send out. It's sad.
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

It's unfortunate but I would not take it personally. It is a matter of what they are looking for. I mean they might have wanted a variety. I blond....a guy...a brunette....someone 5'8 and so on. I mean the options are endless. Don't let them and their perceptions dictate how you feel. Looking at your pic you are a real cutie
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 8"

It always really sucks when we don't get to do something we really wanted to do.

You know, looking at your avatar picture, you are simply gorgeous and there is a sparkle that even comes through a computer - If they couldn't see that, and didn't want to use it to represent their company, it's a big boo-boo on their part - their loss.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #9  
Changing Inside and Out

S/C/G: 276/249/150

Height: 5'5"

Moon, if you are half as pretty as your avitar....its their loss. You are gorgeous !!!
luvin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/204/150

You know, remember back to the Olympics. The little girl that sang during the opening ceremony was not singing !!! She was adorable however her voice was not good. The little girl with the angelic voice was not adorable enough, so they picked an adorable little girl and had her lip sinc to the voice of what they said was just an average looking little girl. HOW AWFUL !! But that is how our world is!!! You are beautiful !! The heck with them !!
Suzy
Suzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #11  

Thank you all for the kind words! It sure makes me feel better. I appreciate you all very much!
Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #12  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hi Moondance,
I just wanted to add that I think you're very beautiful and would be a wonderful reflection on any "image." I really think that it's probably the pathetic idea of one person who made this decision. I'll bet that particular person isn't attractive or doesn't feel attractive and, thus, has made this demand. It kind of reminds me of the bully in school that has a crappy life, so they want to make others miserable too. KWIM? Seriously though, anyone who doesn't see that you've got it "goin' on," is blind. Hugs to you anwho.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #13  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I don't know where you live, but if you really want to get involved in film, have you considered contacting your local public access station, the people who make local television commercials, a local film education program or going the independent film route?

I think it's wise to not take it too personally. It really could be something as simple as the color of your hair or your height. I'm not saying that a bias doesn't exist in our society, but don't let this instance discourage you.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW 226/ CW217/ GW 145

Height: 5'4

I just have to ask.. Your in the 40 somthing section.. theres no way you are even near 40..are you?? if so you look awesome!!
mommamurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #15  

Mommamurray-You sure make me smile!!! I'll be 43 in two weeks as a matter of fact. Though the picture is a few years old now (I was probaly 38 when the photo was taken) it's pretty much how I look now.