Old 09-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #1  
Cynicism and Smilies

S/C/G: 245/237/145

Default Power outages ruining me!

Ive been doing so well...while the scale has refused to budge, I have lost inches and was feeling great about getting out and eating right and cooking at home.

Then Hurricane Ike hit central Ohio (OHIO of all places). My power has been out since last Sunday (over 1.6 million people lost power for at least two or three days). With no power, I cannot cook (not to mention all the food that spoiled in my fridge and freezer!). I made it with crispbread "sandwiches" the first couple days, and choosing carefully to eat out (which was hard as well, because most businesses were without power as well).

But by day 4, I was so tired of being without power, I was going stir crazy. I spent all nights (when I wasnt out walking) reading a book by flashlight. We went out to eat just to have something to DO on those long boring nights. The gym had no power until Saturday. I ended up staying at a hotel last night just to have a hot shower before work this morning.

With luck, the power company says my area will (FINALLY!) be back in business by late this afternoon, and I can get in the process of replacing all the groceries and cooking again.

But I feel _terrible_ about this week. Its my first week in two months of my journey of really falling off the bandwagon. And when you're still so close to your starting weight, you just wanna go "Screw it. I'll just stay fat for a little longer."

And I feel that, and at the same time, I know its the in me talking.

Sigh. Thats my rant for the day. Cross your fingers that the power comes back and I can keep on track by cooking again. I miss my stove.

Last edited by flabbyblue; 09-22-2008 at 02:50 PM.
flabbyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Aw, it's so unfair to have to deal with a long power outage at a time like this. But you didn't do so bad. You were under extraordinary circumstances. Really. Just pick up and keep going, from this moment (not tomorrow). Even if you're not eating according to your plan, you can still make choices that are far better than your past patterns. That is success too. You'll do fine!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Oh no! I understand....I live in Central Ohio, too. Millions have been without power for almost a week. I feel so fortunate that our power and cable TV just blinked and came back on. I've had family staying with family.

It's extemely difficult in our society to function without electricity. Yes, you've done well - and have made progress before the power outage. You know what....you will make progress again. Please know that all is not lost in your program. It's been a big 'dark' bump in the road. Continue to do the best you can. This is a life long journey - full of lots of bumps in the road. What I've learned in this past year - it life throws so much at us. Our food my or may not suffer as a result - but, continue to do what you know works as soon as you can - and carry on.

I can understand how you feel and why you feel that way. You deserve to feel frustrated. Chin up, please. Let us know when you get your power back so we can cheer with you.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-22-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #4  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

i know how you're feeling! we're STILL out in dayton (this is day 8 and counting - no sign that they'll get to us yet) so we're staying with my in-laws in cincinnati. there's no room in their fridge for all the food i usually cook at the beginning of the week, so i'm STILL winging it. working to stay focused on being grateful that i have in-laws that are so generous and letting us stay with them (we have a small child, not easy for them) and that they have power. it's tough, though!
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #5  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Flabbyblue,

I feel your pain, girl!! I, too, am a central ohioan, but luckily I only lost power for 3 days. I was actually at the gym, on the treadmill when the power went out. I felt like I almost blew my knee out the way it stopped so abruptly!!!!

The whole thing really put a wrench into my plan. We ate out a BUNCH and I lost all my precious diet food in the fridge. That stuff isn't cheap, either, especially when you add in the eating out!!!

My sister, who is also working a plan, actually felt like she was in panic-eating mode, like there will never be food again and she totally lost it!

All in all, I am proud of myself for making better choices than I would have before at all these restaurants, and I still walked outside when the gym was out. ANY of us who went through it probably had slips, but the key is to get control back and keep going once things get back to normal, right?

I also try to think that at least I wasn't in Texas, with no power restoration in sight! Man, I'd be on a GAINING plan if I was in that situation!!

Best of luck to all you fellow Ohioans who had to experience our first hurricane!!!!!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #6  
Starting to lose

S/C/G: 298/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Not from ohio, a texan here, but we had the same issues...all the healthy food went bad first, leaving junk food and no groceries for days. I feel like I gained at least 8 lbs in those 6 days, although I am too scared to get on the scale to check But I know in a couple of weeks back on plan, I'll get rid of it all. You will too
shea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #7  
Cynicism and Smilies

S/C/G: 245/237/145

Wow! SO glad to hear I wasnt alone and to get your encouraging words!

I finally got power back yesterday...have a HUGE grocery list to take care of tonight (my wallet is crying!). For anyone without power on STILL ... hang in there!

Try double time on exercise to get myself back on track again...Im just so upset at relosing those 10 pounds again! But I can do it ^^
flabbyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabbyblue View Post
Im just so upset at relosing those 10 pounds again! But I can do it ^^
Of course you can! The alternative is ... what? Keep them? Naaaaaah.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote