Old 09-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215-220?/200/155

Height: 5'9"

Default Tanning Bed/Minutes Help

Okay, so I need some help determining how many minutes I should do in a standard tanning bed. But first, I know this is a bad thing to do so please don't lecture me about skin cancer. I've already tried alternatives and they aren't working. I'm a bridesmaid in 3 weeks (October 11) and I'm wearing a strapless dress, BUT I have bathing suit lines-halter top and like a bra top ones so I need to fade those out so I don't look weird. (Plus, a good tan never made anyone look fatter, eh? haha!)

So I just bought 13 sessions in a standard bed that just got new bulbs, and got a "free" session in the next bed up. The wedding is Oct. 11, and I'm going home Oct. 9. For this week and next week, my plan is to go Sunday and Thursdays. and then the last week, I'm not sure about. Either I'll go on Thursday on my way out of town or go Wednesday. And I have to use the "free" session in 30 days so maybe I'll do that on my last one before the wedding? Or is that not a good idea (burns, etc)?

Anyways, today I did 6 minutes since it was my first time. I know it will depend on how my skin looks tomorrow and Tuesday, but does anyone have advice on how to up my minutes or what is the norm? Should I do 6,7, or 8 minutes next time?

I'm trying to fill this schedule in:
Sunday: 6 minutes
Thursday: 6,7,or, 8?
Sunday:
Thursday:
Sunday:
Wednesday or Thursday?: next bed up?

And do you think that maybe I could add a couple more times and where?

Thanks for any advice!
M a g g i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #2  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

I am not too familiar with tanning beds. However, I went in the past and was told if I wasn't burning it was safe to add 2-3 minutes per session.

Please remember that I am not an expert. I am guessing the people who would know best are those that run the store! Good Luck!
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Please please please use a self tanning cream on your strap marks and ditch the bed. Please.

I know you said no lectures, so I'm not going to lecture. Instead I'll show you this:

See that keloid scar between my breasts? It goes all the way around under my right breast. I had surgery last December to remove a skin cancer spot that went all the way down to my breastbone and into my right breast. It's fairly calm this weekend, but some days the scar is bright red. It shows when I wear anything low cut or when I'm in a bathing suit.

I have a radiation marker implanted in my right breast, as well, and have to have mammograms to check it's position once every three months.

There is no history of breast cancer in my family. All of this is because when I was a kid and a teenager I tanned and now I have skin cancer. It's not the only spot I've had removed. It's just the most obvious.

Please use a cream tanner and ditch the bed. Don't do this to your body.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #4  
clean eating chick

Height: 5'8

I went tanning for about 3 weeks before going to Las Vegas (basically enough so that I wasn't pasty white- I was fine the whole time in Vegas using sunscreen and my poor bf used it and still got a terrible burn...we're Canadians, heh), and I plan on doing the same thing before I go to Thailand and also before my wedding. I went every 2nd or 3rd day (was told not to tan consecutive days), started at 6 or 7 minutes and never got above 10 minutes. I only used a standard bed. I don't have tan lines though since my skin never sees the sun, so if they are DARK you probably want to move up in minutes faster.
yesitsmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't have any tanning bed advice, but my best friend had a nice tan at my wedding. She had a spray tan called Mystic done. It looked quite natural and not streaked at all.

Photochick~ I've got lots of hypertrophic scars from mole removals. No cancer, but lots off compound nevus; not good either considering my age. Thank goodness they caught yours in time!

Last edited by zenor77; 09-21-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

If you have somewhere nearby that does this, I *highly* recommend the spray tans instead. I'm not talking about mystic tans where you stand in a booth and just get sprayed by a machine.

Some people (a friend of mine does it) have the equipment where they have a little spray gun so they can spray you much more detailed. You can even "sculpt" your body so you look more toned.

It gives you beautiful results for about a week.

I used it before I went to Florida so I didn't look quite so pale, and I've used it for formal dances in the past (prom, homecoming, etc).

If you'd like to know more about it, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 09-21-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221.8/221.8/160

Height: 5'3

I go tanning in the summer to look good. I know I shouldn't but I like to have that natural glow. I would usually go 5 days a week. I think you need to go more then 3 times a week if you want to see any results in the next 3 weeks. Stand up beds are definitly alot stronger then the lay down ones.
scarahjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #8  
Shay

S/C/G: 124/119/105

Height: 5'2"

Hi Maggie,

I use sunbeds occasionally too, so I'm not about to lecture you!
Below I've listed how I do the sunbeds...

Sunday: 6 minutes
Tuesday: 6 minutes
Thursday: 8 minutes
Sunday: 9 minutes
Tuesday: 9 minutes
Thursday: 11/12 minutes
Sunday: 11/12 minutes
Tueday: 12 minutes
Wednesday or Thursday 12/15 minutes

Ive listed two different times because it will depend on how your skin responds. Also, I've listed 3 times a week, simply because this is the best way to build up a quick tan. Otherwise, just change the days and go by the same system.

Good luck to you!
S

And do you think that maybe I could add a couple more times and where?
Pixeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote