Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Plastics linked to Diabetes/Heart disease in Human study

http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...BrandChannel=0

I know I've made an effort to move from drinking out of plastic bottles. Of course I went to buy a couple more Sigg bottles at Amazon last week and the ones I wanted were sold out. I think moving away from plastic and to steel/coated aluminum/glass is a much safer move. It is also why I don't microwave in plastic containers and use glass or similar containers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

What has worried me is that I've read that cans for canned food can have linings with BPA, but I haven't figured out how to really tell. I don't use a lot of canned foods, but canned beans and tomatoes are so handy.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Here's a list that might help (and depress) you:
http://organicgrace.com/node/316

Basically no canned tomatoes and only Eden beans. I'm learning to can this year and getting more disciplined about using dry beans.

And if you aren't depressed enough:
"Wine that is fermented in vats lined with plastic may contain especially high levels of BPA. "
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...ld-be-avoided/

It's certainly challenging!

Last edited by CyndiM; 09-21-2008 at 07:34 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Here's a list that might help (and depress) you:
http://organicgrace.com/node/316

Basically no canned tomatoes and only Eden beans. I'm learning to can this year and getting more disciplined about using dry beans.

"Wine that is fermented in vats lined with plastic may contain especially high levels of BPA. "
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...ld-be-avoided/

It's certainly challenging!
REALLY depressing. Canning myself isn't gonna happen, and I don't know about managing without canned tomatoes. That first link is a good one though.

I'm hoping with the publicity things may change. But I think they're counting on people not realizing about the cans.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-21-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #5  

Apparently sodas too. I read that the acidic foods like tomatoes and soda (loosely using the term "food" ) leach more BPA. I haven't found a definitive source on the soda cans all using BPA (your link only mentioned Hansen's) but numerous sites seem to think so. Makes me glad I drink little soda, but I don't drink none. More glass, I guess!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
I used to work at a winery. Red wines are in tank for a much shorter time then white wines. Reds are transferred to barrels fairly quickly in the process. So I'd imagine, white wines would have a higher concentration. Although, I must say, I was unaware that the tanks they ferment in were coated with anything. Maybe not all wineries do this?

Also, the EU has sent limits as to BPA levels in European wines. So, if you are concerned then buy wines from countries in the EU.

Personally, I try to limit my exposure as much as possible. Unfortunately, like most thing of this nature, it's really hard to rid 100% from your diet. Hopefully the FDA doesn't blow it again and reverses their decision about BPAs.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #7  

A couple more thoughts to check sometime today ... do imported canned products have the same BPA? And do home canning products sold in the USA have BPA?