Old 09-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Red face My body is weird...

I mentioned in another thread that I'm doing the "Eat all day" diet. I just don't know how many calories I should be eating in each mini-meal. I weigh around 180 now but its not what you'd think is a "normal person's" 180. I have been a collegiate thrower and have essentially been lifting weights since I was a freshman in high school. My legs are very muscular and my arms aren't far behind and I have a large bone frame to boot.

I guess this is my problem: I don't feel like I should consume as many calories as maybe someone else my height and weight that may not have as much muscle mass. But I really have no idea what I'm talking about. I've been eating anywhere from 150-250 calories for my mini-meals for the last 2 weeks, I just wanna make sure I'm on the right track. I know a lot of people here have tons of experience with stuff so I'm hoping someone can help me out!
kelli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Im not sure about all the rules for the 'eat all day' diet. But i would think that since you have more muscle than the average 180lb person than you would need to consume more calories. Muscle burns more calories that fat does.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, it's the opposite. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism. Declining muscle mass is part of the cause of gaining weight as you age, and also part of the reason metabolism is lower after repeated crash diets without exercise.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #4  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm hopping in the more calorie boat. Muscle burns way more calories than fat, so you'll have to eat more than someone who is all fat at 180lbs...
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #5  

well thats exciting! I was thinking about how I was going to manage trying to cut more calories out of each meal.. I don't think I'll have a problem finding ways to add some though Does anyone know the daily calorie range that would be good for me?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

You might also want to check out the Calorie Counters area: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=172

There's a sticky up at the top with Frequently Asked Questions. It might help!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218.8/165/165

Height: 5'7"

Kelli --

Search google for a BMR calculator -- the online version should give you a good estimate of how many calories you burn/day (IF you just laid in bed all day) You might want to add some extra calories in there if you are muscular.

I don't know how old you are.... but someone who is 5'5" and 178 would typically burn 1617 according to the calculator... but again, you're probably burning more than that, because of your muscle.

This at least gives you a good starting point to know how many calories you might be burning per day...
kukristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #8  

I checked out the FAQ which was very helpful. I am pretty good with what to eat and how to prepare it in order to eat healthy, I just don't have a grasp on how much. My portion control is a little.. well, out of control! I think I have that "you can't get up from the table until your plate is clean" syndrome from when I was little. I can't seem to leave anything behind after I make my plate and I have a hard time remembering that when I'm fixing it. I try to eat more Lean Cuisines and SmartOnes even if they aren't as healthy to help with that.

kukristen- thank you very much! That really helps a lot since I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to be calorie wise. I wish they'd make a BMI and BMR calculator for athletes- its not like every competitive athlete is in the best shape, just may have a little more muscle than the average person.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:37 AM   #9  
e32

S/C/G: 169/157/135

Height: 5'3"

i definitely understand what you mean about having a muscular build. no one (i mean no one) would believe what i weigh (compared to my size). the few friends i have told were very surprised. my problem is not lack of muscle...just the padding i have all around said muscle all that to say--i definitely have similar stuggles in this area.

anyway, figuring out calories is a trial and error process. i think you're on the right track with carefully measuring portions and trying to keep track of calores. it sounds like if you are choosing healthy options and eating small meals throughout the day--that's great. if you keep doing this, your body is going to learn when it is hungry and when it is full. allow your body to need different things from one day to another. if you are trying to stick to "X" number of calories per day, allow for days when you will need X-100 or X+100. i'm no expert, but i've found that the more strict i am...the more i am likely to snap and binge on something ridiculous...

good luck to you! like i said, i'm no expert, but feel free to message me anytime

ella
e32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #10  

I always wished I didn't care if people knew how much I weighed because I could totally win a prize at one of those stump the guesser (I don't know what they're called) at theme parks. You know the thing that they try and guess your age or weight. People think I weight around 160-- I just smile and nod.

I have been trying to be lenient enough with my diet that I can stick to it. I aim for 1200 calories a day even though I need closer to 1500-1600 that way I stay in a good range. I know I'll blow by whatever I aim for so I just have to set my target a little lower. If I do a more intense workout (like the relay for life treadmill exercises--let me know if anyone wants those workouts they are great!) I will allow myself more calories so I can intake enough protein and carbs but the days I just incline walk or walk/jog with my dog I definently stick around 1300-1500.

I even have my boyfriend eating salads now! He made us grilled chicken salad, I don't think that boy has ever eaten anything healthy- and he's in such good shape! Totally not fair.