Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default I've gained back 25 pounds...

After stress with work, relationships, and getting a car, I've gained back 25 pounds. On the good news, I just recently started to feel my health deteriorate which will make me go back. I haven't had heartburn in a year and I've been having it recently along higher b/p.

Now, I want to get back on plan but my main worry is what to eat. I was so used to the bare necessities, like fish and veggies because I had no one else and was so focused I didn't care if it didn't taste awesome. Now, I have a boyfriend to consider when I make food. Also, I was getting very sick of my usually fair of steamed veggies and fish. The biggest problem is that I wake up, barely conscious, at 5:30 am and I don't come home some days till 11:00. What can I make for breakfast that is quick and keep me full? What can I eat for lunch/dinner that I can keep in a lunch box and still be sated?

I'm probably going to start going to the Y to work out since I have all that free time(my work hours are 700 to 900 and then again at 1500 to 1800, then I have a 1800 to 2300 EMT class).

Also, I think I stopped focusing on it as much because my current boyfriend said my loose skin freaked him out. It made me feel ashamed cause I know it's going to get worse and I didn't think it was as bad. It doesn't look as bad now because I gained some back.

I just hope that I can stick to it again. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Daimere; 09-17-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

First off, ignore the boyfriend and his issues with loose skin. Do not let his comments allow you to stop focusing on your health!

Second, congrats on nipping this in the bud before you gained all of your weight back. I went through something similar where I plateaued, then put myself on the back burner and gained back 30 after losing 80 pounds. I was able to stop the slide, but it was difficult getting the mojo back after that.

If you have the funds, it might be a good idea to see a dietician and get some menus planned for you that can fit into your life. Or, consider meal delivery service for a while until you can handle the prep work on your own again. Let your bf cook for himself, or work with you in cooking.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

As far as the food issues...

Greek yogurt, nuts and some fruit is a very filling breakfast for me! I don't have good lunch suggestions, although if you have something else for breakfast and there is a refrigerator at work you might try the yogurt at lunch instead.

Sooner or later you are going to have to decide about whether you would rather be fat or have loose skin. Your boyfriend probably likes your body with more weight on it, that's not unusual...you may have to decide how important his reaction is. Ultimately you can always go for skin removal surgery, but that is pretty extreme, and won't happen for a long time. (My understanding is that you should get to and maintain goal for a time before taking that step.)

You are doing terrific to nip this in the bud now...make yourself a priority!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/204/150

Height: 5'4"

Lose the boyfriend !! Do you see the amazing transformation you are making?
Sorry, but how dare he say anything negative about he amazing job you are doing. Your health is a priority, bottom line. If he is so freaked out, tell him to start a savings plan for a top notch plastic surgeon in your area. (of course only if that is something you would consider) If not, there are many many men looking for wonderful women. Men can be such idiots sometimes !
Suzy
Suzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #5  
Nice Pants

S/C/G: 224/202/199

Height: 5' 10.4239"

I, too, will add the congrats about catching this soon and already feeling the need to fix it. Don't think of it as being up 25. You're still down 60. Use that as your starting point and motivation.

If you're tired of steamed fish and veggies, then definitely switch it up. Have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if you have to. As long as you don't eat a pound of peanut butter in one sitting (not that *ahem* I've ever known anyone of the personal persuasion who's done that) then you should be fine.

Eating the same thing over and over (for most) ends up being a recipe for disaster.

Charlie
hillsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
After stress with work, relationships, and getting a car, I've gained back 25 pounds. On the good news, I just recently started to feel my health deteriorate which will make me go back. I haven't had heartburn in a year and I've been having it recently along higher b/p.
Back!!! I'm so happy you've dug your heels in and are working to get back down.

Quote:
Also, I think I stopped focusing on it as much because my current boyfriend said my loose skin freaked him out. It made me feel ashamed cause I know it's going to get worse and I didn't think it was as bad. It doesn't look as bad now because I gained some back.
You're doing this for you. At some point, as mentioned, you will have to make that choice between being overweight, and having loose skin. And your boyfriend is going to have to deal. Don't stop because of what he thinks. He isn't part of this equation.

Quote:
I just hope that I can stick to it again. Wish me luck.
I wish you commitment. You can do this.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Echoing what others are saying. Sending hugs don't let that BF get you down.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #8  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome back!

For quick breakfast, how about a slice of whole wheat toast with 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter? Maybe you can make up a batch of steel cut oatmeal and microwave yourself a portion each morning. How about a smoothie with banana, yogurt and soymilk...and, you can switch it up each morning by adding different berries or frozen fruits. Maybe untraditional breakfast fare might be a good idea....like a turkey breast sandwich on whole wheat.

For lunch and dinner - do you have access to a microwave? Maybe you can make some entrees on the weekend and freeze them for use during the week. How about a pita filled with some low-fat chicken salad, some veggies with a bit of low-fat dressing for dipping, fresh fruits, salads - you can prepare the veggies early for 2-3 days use. I recommend picking up a Weight Watchers cookbook and trying out some new recipes on your days off. I find the Weight Watchers recipes to be somewhat easier and most of them are quite yummy!

Regarding your boyfriend and the loose skin, he may not realize how much this hurt you. Have you talked with him about this? I recommend that you explain how being overweight is unhealthy and making your life more difficult. If he truly cares about you, he will understand that your health and life are more important than some loose skin.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 09-18-2008 at 08:26 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Loose skin freaks ME out!

Of course, I wouldn't be telling that to the woman I am trying to sleep with on any regualr basis.

I have been dealing with a similar issue with breakfast since I get up early and go to bed late.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Figure out what makes you full in the morning. I find this is different for everyone. For me - eggs and yogurt are a good choice.

2. Next figure out how to make these fast. Eggs are not fast. But you can make mini fritattas in muffin pans on the weekends and eat them all week. Or buy some pre-packaged breakfast items (like Smart Ones Egg Sandwiches). I'm not a huge fan of the processed food but sometime I break my own rules. I also like greek yogurt with Fiber One.

3. Boys will generally eat whatever is in front of them. Don't concern yourself too much with that but yes, for your own mental health, expand your menu. Fish and veggies are still good! Just learn how to cook them differently.

4. Be aware of "all or nothing" mentality. It sounds like you were really driven before - that's great! But just keep it in mind that this time it might be a little slower because you have so much else going on in your life. Don't give up just because it's a slow process.

Glad to have you back!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #10  
Hooping my Life Away

I'm not sticking to plan per say or counting points currently. I'm making better decisions 60% of the time. I'm just making sure I write it down. I did 7 minutes on an elliptical. I've never did that before. I normally did WATP. I was telling myself 7 is better than 0 and I worked out in a gym. :O Tomorrow I will push for 10.

I have no access to microwave or fridge for lunch or dinner. Usually that includes as of right now: carrots, celery with pb, and a turkey, ham, swiss sammie on wheat. For the dinner is usually a sandwich and I'm thinking popcorn to munch on during class cause that kept me up and kept me from being ravenous after class.

I have talked to him about it. He basically came to the point of sternly saying that if it was a huge problem, he wouldn't be with me right now. It's not and he knows I'm unhappy and tries to help by asking if I really need that second portion. Problem is I don't appreciate him talking to me like my momma.

And the breakfast thing is that I can tolerate cereal but I don't feel sated till I get some meat or something in my tummy. Cereal just doesn't feel substantial to me.

And I did the math. I've actually only gained back 23 and I've been hovering over 19 pounds the last month.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 307/279/180

Height: 5'10"

I have one small suggestion/question -- as a substitute for a fridge, could you get one of those lunch "boxes" that has the blue thing that you freeze overnight and stick in the lunch "box" with your food so it doesn't spoil?
Iconoclast at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 288/207/175

7 minutes on an elliptical is awesome! (those machines kick my butt big time! LOL)

Regarding the BF....I don't like when my DH "reminds" me that I don't really need a second helping or whatever- so I finally had to tell him to knock it off. Turns out, that he was only saying it to try and be supportive cause that's how HE would want to be supportive. So, now I do that for him, and when he sees me grab a candy bar or whatever, he'll ask to share. For us, that's what we've worked out works for us. Relationships are hard. And if your BF doesn't have issues with weight, he just might not know how to help you.

For breakfast, if cereal doesn't work for you, then find something that does. Someone mentioned a turkey sandwich. I LOVE turkey sandwiches for breakfast!
juneteenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #13  
Hooping my Life Away

Already have plenty of the blue things.

He actually does have weight problems. Considering he is significantly older than me and heavy and a smoker, I worry. I've told him but other than that I don't push the subject much. BUT the one thing is he has notice if I'm completely off plan, I can totally out-fat him. I can't control my portion size or number of servings especially at a buffet whereas he can.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi...you've gotten some great advice. I am here congratulating you on your accomplishments and cheering you on to move forward.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #15  
Hooping my Life Away

Thank you.