Old 09-17-2008, 06:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/294/150

Height: 5'4"

Default feeling kind of discouraged

Okay. So today was my third time at the gym with the personal trainer. It's me and two other people that workout with the trainer from 5-6 AM. The first time I went about 45 minutes into it i felt very nauseas so she had be lay down with an ice pack and told me that it happens to everyone. After leaving that day I still felt really good about myself. The second time, I did not feel sick at all and felt better than ever.

Today however, about a half hour into it, I felt sick so I took a small break and then after about 5 minutes rejoined the group. Well then about 10 minutes later I had to take another break and she had me go lay down with an icepack while the other 2 people finished up the workout.

The trainer assured me that it was okay, and it happens because the body isn't used to having to cool down and that it happens to everyone in the beginning. The other two women have been doing this for a while and even did a boot camp program. But I don't know I can't help but feel down on myself for today. I feel like I should have done better and that I was a let down to myself and to the trainer (even though she told me not to feel bad.) I don't understand why I feel like this because I know what I did is better than doing nothing at all. The other days i went I felt remarkable when I came home. Today I just feel Blah and very discontent with how i handled the workout. My boyfriend told me not to sweat it and if I feel bad about it just to do some stuff on my own later on today or tomorrow. But still, that doesn't make me feel any better. I really just don't know.

Last edited by ShootingStar123; 09-17-2008 at 06:40 AM.
ShootingStar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Height: 5'3"

Hi Shooting Star - I just want to tell you I think you are amazing! You signed up for the personal trainer, and you actually go! Do you know how many people (like me sign up and then don't go? I take inspiration from you.

You are losing, you are exercising. I think you can believe your trainer that what happened to you happens to everyone.

I send you hugs and encouragement and really, really, keep it up. You are doing great!
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

You went and you did what you could. That's more important.

It's only your third time. Just keep going back!

Make sure you're staying hydrated. (And perhaps you need a little bit of food in you before you go, like a hard-boiled egg or something.)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #4  
Tammy73

S/C/G: 254/215/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi ShootingStar!
I just wanted to tell you that your trainer is absolutely right. It may not happen to everyone, but it certainly does happen to a lot of people.
You should be proud of yourself for making a change in your life and committing to going to a personal trainer and losing weight.
Speaking from personal experience, I started with a personal trainer 8 weeks ago. The first few sessions were deadly. I seriously thought I was going to throw up, passout, cry - you name it! I stuck with it though and now after 8 weeks I can't believe the change in my body and how much more I can do.
I couldn't run for a minute when I started. Now I can run for 20 minutes.
Just stick with it and don't beat yourself up. Everyone has to start somewhere. You already know that right now you aren't fit. Just be glad that your body does move and that you are doing the best possible thing for yourself. You are making a commitment to have a new & better life.
I'm proud of you & you should be proud of yourself too!
Keep going! You can do it!!
Tammy
Tammy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

My son use to do that every summer at football camp. So did some other boys. He along with others weren't over weight. It is just the workout no need to feel bad about it. Your body will get the hang of it. As stated by Faerie do make sure your getting enough water. My son started to eat a few almonds before practice and that along with the water really helped.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #6  
No description available.

Congrats on your loss so far and all your hard work! I am impressed! Do you have a small snack before you go? Some workouts are just harder than others and a little fuel can go a long way first thing in the morning.

I was working with my personal trainer last week and I was sleep deprived and dehydrated and felt a little barfy. As I took some deep breaths (and had a drink of water) I asked if many people puked at the gym.

He said it was a daily occurance.

I don't think that it is necessary to push oneself to those limits, but I just want to show you that you are not alone with feeling a bit off during a challenging workout. I am THRILLED that you are listening to your body and dialing it back/taking a break when you need to and I bet your trainer is too. It is better to rest a bit than to push too hard and injure yourself or make yourself sick.

Stick with it and I know you will see a change in your stamina and abilities--although your trainer will still find ways to push you past your comfort zone!

Last edited by midwife; 09-17-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: too, not to
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I'm going to be the voice of dissent.

Yes, it happens to a lot of people once in a while, especially when they first get started. But it shouldn't happen often and it doesn't happen "to everyone".

Your trainer needs to be talking to you about WHY this might be happening. If you're being worked too hard, then he needs to tone it down a bit. He also needs to address the following:
Are you drinking enough water throughout the day?
Are you getting enough sleep?
Are you eating enough and the right things to fuel your body for the extra demands you're putting on it?

Exercising to the point of passing out or puking is NOT healthy.

Since you felt great after the 2nd time, I suspect it's one of the three things I mentioned: water, sleep, nutrition.

Seriously - if this continues to happen, you're going to start to dread going to the gym, lose motivation, and feel crappy about yourself. And then you'll give up. This isn't something that should cause you to give up because it's FIXABLE. This isn't your FAULT, so don't feel bad about that or down on yourself for not being able to hack it. That's not the case. You just need to figure out what is going on with your body so you can prepare it to handle these workouts!

Good luck!!!
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to get nauseous at the gym and really it was because I wasn't eating before I worked out. I'd say the same, are you drinking enough fluid? Are you eating something 30-60 minutes before the gym?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

First, don't be embarrassed and feel very empowered in the fact that you did what a lot of people can't do - try it again!

After a lot of exercise (or exercise that I'm not used to), I get nauseous when I am not hydrated. In fact, I am SUCH a sucker for the water that nearly every time I am in the ocean, I get nauseous and dehydrated because I haven't gotten out to get a drink of water in hours!

I also second Nelie's advice.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 312/294/150

Thank you everyone, I really feel a lot better about this and I know that I can't give up because of it! One suggestion that seemed to appear a lot through this was eating something before the going, which I have yet to do. Simply because it is just so early in the morning that I don't feel like it. But heck, if it may be part of the problem I will defiantly do it. Again, Thank you everyone for your input and encouragement
ShootingStar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

You know, you don't have to eat anything heavy. Prior to working out, some carbs help - even drinking a glass of orange juice or eating a banana would help, I suspect. Just a little something to give your body fuel.

(I HATE to eat first thing in the morning, so I'm with ya on that one!)

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

If I haven't worked out in a while, I get extremely nauseated after a hard workout. It doesn't matter if I've eaten or if I've had plenty of water. After about 4-5 sessions, I find that the nausea does ease up.

I've been watching Biggest Loser Australia. As many of you know, the contestants do tend to throw up during the first few training sessions. One of the trainers...I don't remember if it was Jillian or Bob...said that it's common to get nauseated or throw up if you've been inactive for a while because of the build up of toxins in your system. Makes sense.

Keep pushing through. It does get easier.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #13  
No description available.

My favorite preworkout snack is part of a bagel or one slice whole grain bread with peanut butter.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

I find that if I eat a very little (handful of nuts) and have a full glass of water (12 oz or so) I don't have this problem. It happens to me when I am hungry and haven't drunk enough.

You are amazing, you are doing it and keep going back!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I am so, so proud of your dedication. Listen to your body and take care. I would eat a banana before working out when I went to the pool.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote