Old 08-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #1  

Default Here's what i'm looking for can you help?

Here's the deal i am toned all over but my flabby tummy & i do mean it's flabby, i can grab 2 handfuls at 1 time. I call it my c-section gone wrong (28 yr's ago). I'm 5'4 and my weight is 141 , My arm's & leg's are toned and have no problem there at all, i run almost 10 mi's every day & i lift hand weight's . Does anyone know of a video that is just for toning up leg's & abs ? I have to tell ya i don't like yoga or pilates at all i just can't get into them no matter how hard i have tried,( i just hate them ) Does anyone know of a video with just plan old exercise with differnt type's of crunches & leg lift's?
chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Hm. Well first of all you have to get the concept of "tone" out of your vocabulary. Crunches and leg lifts aren't going to get you the look you want.

Don't get me wrong - crunches and leg lifts and other core-type exercises are GREAT for you. You need those strong core muscles. But they're not going to firm up the "flab".

First thing is that the only thing that will remove the flab is losing weight. That's the unfortunate truth. You can't spot lose or "spot tone" ... you can only lose and realize that most of the time belly fat is going to be the last bit of fat to go (especially for women).

Next thing is that if you want to build muscle definition, resistance work and weights is the best way to go. It'll help firm you up all over, which will help you lose those last pounds, which will ... ultimately reveal those muscles and give you that healthy, fit look you want.

One DVD that comes highly recommended is the Calanetics series - which is mostly about body resistance work. I've done it before and while I personally can't get into it, I will say it's a good solid workout and I know a lot of people who swear by it.

But even w/out using a DVD or tape, some things you can do to help build muscle are lunges, squats, stepups, pushups, and tricep dips. Just doing a combination of those (along with crunches of course) will really give you a great all over body workout!

>
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Do you have an excercise ball? I highly recommend doing crunches on it. Once you get used to it, you can hold some weights in your hands (or a medicine ball) as you lift up. You could also do flutter kicks. You lie on the floor with hands under your bottom and you lift up your shoulders off the floor and your leggs off the floor as you move the legs up and down without rest. There are lots more, but they're hard to describe. Maybe you should do a search on Youtube. They have some great how to videos on there by trainers. But, Photochick is right, it's all about weight loss and the tummy tends to be the last to go...for me, the boobs are the first to go, unfortunately).
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I do have this to say about the C-Section thing. I have had three of them, and I have had to face the fact that my tummy is never going to be the flat thing of beauty it once was. I have gotten down to within two or three pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight a couple of times between kids (Size 6), but my little tummy just never quite went completely flat. I asked my OB about it once, and he just shrugged and said that the stomach muscles are damaged during the C-Section procedure, and they are never quite the same, but that the trade-off is giving life. Not too bad a deal I suppose. I have found this tummy thing confirmed by my sister who currently, at 5'7", weighs 125 lbs. She works out a couple hours a day (Weights and running) and is a Size 2, but guess what? After two C-Sections, even she still has a tiny bit of a tummy bulge. It is not fat at all. It just seems like the muscles are not quite 'tight' no matter how many crunches she does.

However, all that said, if we are talking a bit "squashy" in the tummy department, then that is just the sad truth that the tummy is the last piece to go in a weight loss program. If you strengthen the muscles underneath, the fat on top will still be there unless you take off those last few pounds. Videos that try to sell you "targeted weight loss" are full of balony. There is no such thing. You lose it evenly all over the body until the last reserves are left and then those are the last to go. If you take off a few more pounds, your tummy will shrink -- just keep in mind that, due to the C-Section, it may never be Barbie flat no matter what you do.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #5  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

I love TURBO JAM my stomach is always burning afterwards (good burn) and it's actually fun after you do it a few times... AB JAM is the specific video for abs. Good luck.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I have to disagree with the general statement that the tummy is the last thing to go for women. This is going to completely depend on your body type. I am hourglass, and my tummy is the FIRST thing to go...I have ab definition even when I have been over 200 pounds.

I don't have a lot of information about you-how overweight you are, or how many kids you have had, etc. but I can say this-my lower belly is squishy, and no amount of weight loss or fat loss will make that go away. I have a small waistline, and ab definition-especially in the upper abs-but the lower part still can be squished with my hands. It is loose skin from my 3 babies. Now I do a TON of corework (crunches, Pilates, belly dance) and I have ab definition, but the lower belly will never be "firm" feeling again. It was stretched out three times, and the only solution is a tummy tuck to remove the loose skin.

I don't like the blanket statement about losing weight/fat loss being the solution for the tummy...because even if I were to diet and exercise down to 100 pounds (which I would NEVER do) my belly would never be firm and taut there. The fat isn't the problem...the skin is. In the caseof mothers, especially those with c-sections or multiple births, sometimes a perfect belly is no longer an option...no matter how much fat you lose.

Last edited by aphil; 08-30-2008 at 11:22 PM.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Note please that I said "Most of the time" ... not always and there are always exceptions and people who are lucky enough to not get that belly fat thing going on.

But it is true that for MANY woman (and I would be willing to say "most"), belly fat is the last to go.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:28 AM   #8  
Ashley

S/C/G: 175/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Here check out this website you can find all tips of workout dvds and you can also preview clips.

www.collagevideo.com

Last edited by jmfan317; 09-01-2008 at 01:13 AM.
jmfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I don't know. I would say that for apple shapes the belly fat is the last to go...but usually in hourglass and pear shaped women, it is one of the first places to go...and the butt/thighs is the last place.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #10  

Thank you all for the reply's, sorry it took me so long to respond back. I have had a major bout with poison ivy. Have not had it in over 30 yr's and it got me good this time.
Anyway's it's not belly fat that i have it's belly flab, i called collage video and spoke to someone there and i sent for a video called "curl or curls by Kari Anderson " it looks as if it's something that is in the line of what i'm looking for.
chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote