Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

Default High Fructose Corn Syrup

Has anyone seen the new "commerical" PROMOTING high fructose corn syrup?? I almost fell off my chair!!! It has a woman pouring some nasty looking fruit punch concoction, and her friend asks if there is hfcs in it. She says yes and that it's ok to have! They have a wesbite too, www.sweetsurprise.com. I wanted to barf.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Yeah! I saw a new one that had a man out on a date and a girl was offering him a frozen pop...

Some people have been discussing it here, if you want to join: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150731
Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #3  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

I have't seen it. I tend to avoid it in products because of its bad rep, but but I don't think any research has ever proven that HFCS is any worse for you than sugar.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Yeah! I saw a new one that had a man out on a date and a girl was offering him a frozen pop...

Some people have been discussing it here, if you want to join:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150731
Oh geez, does she insult her date? Nice.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I like the part where she says it's okay "in moderation." Except, it's in EVERYTHING. Unless you're a careful label reader, there is no way the average American eats HFCS "in moderation."
Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

But it must be safe! It's made from corn!

Last edited by mandalinn82; 09-16-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

What a funny commercial. My jaw dropped.
I was reading my Yoplait Light yogurt ingredients a couple weeks ago and the first is HFCS! I couldn't believe it. I'm on Highland now. Less calories, cheaper, and I can pronounce all the ingredients.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #8  

At frist I was appalled but now I'm rather pleased to see that they are worried enough to try a little spin doctoring - means a lot of people are getting smart and educating themselves enough to avoid this overprocessed glop.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

How about letting food companies know we don't appreciate them adding this to their product. E-mailing or calling their consumer feedback lines! If we don't complain to them, they're not gonna change anything.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Well, technically it is safe. It isn't the poison that people make it out to be. It is just that....overly processed corn. That being said, we don't eat food with HFCS....but we also avoid refined white sugar as well. Sure, products without them may cost more, but they are a much higher quality product. I don't want my body filled with overly processed crap and I definitely don't want my children's.

The statement that "high fructose corn syrup" makes us fat is absolute dribble. It is the plate to mouth motion filling up our mouths with overly processed, empty calories that is making us fat. HFCS is ok in moderation, but for the most part - people don't use it in moderation. How many people do we know that drink coke after coke after coke, or better yet, gatorade after gatorade after gatorade (thinking their being healthy by avoiding soda)? Hardly anybody reads labels anymore. Look in the grocery carts surrounding you at the store (I'm a compulsive looker ) - most are filled with soda, snack cakes, and frozen concoctions....hardly any even have a bag of produce.

I know that it goes straight to the liver and alerts the body to store fat - raising cholesterol levels and leading to bigger waistlines....but my point is this: Don't you think that if we just lessened our addiction to sweets and overly processed foods in the first place, this country wouldn't be such a fat place?

There is a huge pandemic sweeping across the country of people that are unable to moderate themselves. Just turn on Discovery Health and watch the shows on 1000 lb. man. He didn't get that way just from eating hfcs. If we looked at it more of a problem with willpower than a problem with what is available (because there is almost always an alternative to a HFCS product - and if not? Don't consume it), I don't think this country would be such a fat place.

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-16-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #11  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
How about letting food companies know we don't appreciate them adding this to their product. E-mailing or calling their consumer feedback lines! If we don't complain to them, they're not gonna change anything.
The problem with that is that the prices would skyrocket if they stopped using cheap ingredients. The manufacturers are going to respond to sales more than they are a few random customer complaints.

If you don't want to consume it...don't. There is nobody forcing your hand and there is almost always an alternative.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #12  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Zeff..I'm a compulsive looker too!! LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one.

That commercial where the gf offers the bf a taste of her popsicle is hysterical. "I thought you loved me...but it has high fructose corn syrup." So dramatic! LOL Her response is something like "its as safe as sugar." I just can't put sugar and safe in the same sentence unless I'm using it to exfoliate!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #13  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
At frist I was appalled but now I'm rather pleased to see that they are worried enough to try a little spin doctoring - means a lot of people are getting smart and educating themselves enough to avoid this overprocessed glop.
I see it as a lot of people are getting scared about the possible effects. Just like the recent BPA alerts...those same statistics have been out for years, but it wasn't until about a year ago that everyone and their grandma went out and bought glass bottles.

The country started using HFCS in the 70's and there has been speculation that is hasn't been equal to sugar in its effects for years and years, but when did you first start hearing it was bad? My Mommy and Me group just started talking about the effects about 6 mos. ago and only one other mother in the group had taken it upon herself to educate herself about the topic.

A more educated America = a more healthful America.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #14  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirrl View Post
Zeff..I'm a compulsive looker too!! LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one.

That commercial where the gf offers the bf a taste of her popsicle is hysterical. "I thought you loved me...but it has high fructose corn syrup." So dramatic! LOL Her response is something like "its as safe as sugar." I just can't put sugar and safe in the same sentence unless I'm using it to exfoliate!
I just can't help it. It really appalls me the lack of health in this country...and it doesn't take much more than a look at most grocery baskets to understand why.

No kidding about the safe as sugar...who said sugar was safe? Sure....it won't poison you with just a small amount, but eat enough of it over time and it surely will kill you.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post

I think communicating directly is a good idea too but, the communication they understand the best is the one that goes directly to their bottom line. Just don't buy foods that contain ingredients we don't want to consume. My guess is these commercials were prompted because they've seen sales start to fall off. Unfortunately, I think it's because a lot of people have started looking for things sweetened with sucralose instead which, IMHO, is just another chemically overprocessed flavor enhancer - but it's made from 'real (chlorinated) sugar' instead of corn.

I do have to agree that the primary problem is our addiction to sweet stuff in the first place. And, I'm not so sure that we can use price as an argument here - things labeled as "sugar free" are often three times as expensive as the same product sweetened with regular sugar - and often don't have all that many fewer calories - but we continue to buy them (except 3FC members who are much to savvy to believe the big print )
Not to mention that in the search for alternative fuels, corn now has other uses which could actually drive up the price of HFC, therefore the foods that contain it.
Closed Thread