Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:38 AM   #1  
trying to be the real me!

S/C/G: 289/281/270

Question Portion sizes ___=?

I should know this and maybe others have the same questions, but portion sizes have me baffled. Coming from a flamily where you ate everything on your plate or you couldn't leave the table (and hurry up and eat too) kind of sets an idea what a size is..

Anyways, I know an ounce of cheese is the size of 2 di stacked...but

What is a small apple?? My small and their small are surely not the same. I have crabby apples in my yard I consider small..but whose small?

Anyways, if you have any advice on what other fruit, meat etc sizes are, I would love to know too please!

Thank You & have a BIG groovy day!
2 dogs 1 lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Maybe this will help?

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/ama_tma/nutri...rving_size.jpg

You posted this in the "Diet Meal Delivery" section - was that intentional? One of the benefits of a plan where the food is provided for you is that you get an idea of proper portions from the food delivered.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

When it comes to things like meats, and cheeses I've invested in a small, plain $10 kitchen scale. I just measure it. I can't tell by sight what an oz is, and I probably never will... it's far easier to just measure it if you can.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

My kitchen scale is the best investment I've made in becoming healthier (that and my heart rate monitor).

Seriously - I paid less than $20 for a digital scale from Target. I measure and weigh EVERYTHING and it's really taught me a lot about portion size.

For comparison's sake, a serving of fruit - like an apple - is about the size of a tennis ball, or about the size of your fist.
A serving of meat - 3-4 oz - is the size of a deck of cards.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 09-16-2008 at 11:51 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #5  
trying to be the real me!

S/C/G: 289/281/270

oh darn..sorry..wrong place to post..lets call it way too early to post.. but I am doing NS and I am trying to figure the portions out for extras..
2 dogs 1 lady is offline   Reply With Quote