Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/294/150

Height: 5'4"

Default it's not much but...

I lost about 6 pounds since I've re-attempted the whole diet deal!
Its not much but It feels great to see the number slowly drop down.
And it gives me the reinforcement to keep at it because the hard work really will pay off. I know no one else can notice it yet, but I feel great =)
Hopefully it keeps dropping.

I was wondering how to judge what would be a good mini goal for me to set for myself. Like how much time to try and lose an X number of pounds. If anyone could give their input on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
ShootingStar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Congratulations on the 6 lbs!!! You're off to a great start

You may want to start off with a 10 lb mini-goal. No time limit. Everyone's bodies are vastly different. And while one person may be able to drop 10 pounds in a month, another may "only" be able to drop 5. So to lose Xlbs within X amount of time isn't always the best way to start. After all, if you "only" lost 5 lbs in a month is that really a failure? Heck no! It's a monumental success!

Perhaps after 10 lbs, treat yourself to something nice. A shirt you've been eyeing, a new make-up product, a piece of jewelry...

Mini-goals don't only have to be weight-related, either. Even staying OP and drinking all your water is a daily mini-goal. And plenty of people reward themselves for doing just that, by giving themselves stickers, or just feeling good knowing they're on track to being healthier.

I'm so happy you feel great! It's the best knowing that if just a few pounds makes us feel this good, what will the whole lot of it feel like?
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Congratulation! You're right, that first 5 pounds is so motivating.

I recommend small goals. I think 299 would be a great mini-goal to start with.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Yay for you! It's awesome to see the scale moving downward!

I agree with Faerie - try setting a minigoal w/out a time period.

One thing that helps me is to participate in the 5 pound challenges here on 3FC. It's just a group of us who are losing 5lbs at a time ... and we see who can be the next person to hit that 5lb goal. There's no time limit, it's just for fun.

Here's the link to the current one:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151369

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #5  
carinna

Hey, don't minimize it. 6 lbs. is still impressive. Congrats!
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/252.0/150

Height: 5'7

Hey 6 pounds is AWESOME! (six is my magic number at the moment too) Way to go!

Last edited by Kelleigh; 09-15-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Kelleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Hip hip hurrah! Six pounds is a great beginning. I'm a fan of mini-goals not tied to time. Currently my doctor has said two pounds per month...I then feel terrific when I make it, and even better when I exceed it.

When I am halfway to goal I am going to tell her one pound per month.

The problem with time goals is that if you don't meet them (and our bodies have funny ways of losing weight which are not completely in our control) we sometimes feel as though we have failed rather than succeeded.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar123 View Post
I lost about 6 pounds since I've re-attempted the whole diet deal!
Its not much but It feels great to see the number slowly drop down.
And it gives me the reinforcement to keep at it because the hard work really will pay off. I know no one else can notice it yet, but I feel great =)
Hopefully it keeps dropping.

I think 6 pounds is significant enough to celebrate for sure! That's so awesome! Don't get frustrated if people don't notice for a little while. I lost 20 pounds before someone said something without me prompting them with "I've lost weight!"

I was wondering how to judge what would be a good mini goal for me to set for myself. Like how much time to try and lose an X number of pounds. If anyone could give their input on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
I think whenever you have to drop a jean size is a great mini goal -- so maybe 10 or 15 pounds. Everyone is different. I say "jean size" because it's a great little reward to go buy yourself something cute!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 312/294/150

Thank You everyone for the encouragement and all of your thoughts on mini goals. Reading the responses I can tell that it is best for me to not put a time limit like of all of you have said. Especially because I dont want to feel like I let myself down by not losing in a certain time frame.

I think i will set my first goal in going down a pant size!

Thanks Again everyone
ShootingStar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #10  

Thats wonderful!
Congrats!!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #11  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Congrats! It sounds like you are making a GREAT start on your weight loss... Best of luck to you with the rest of the "journey," hehe. And 6 lbs is a pretty big accomplishment! Heck, when I first joined this site I made a thread to celebrate when I lost my first 4 lbs, so don't feel silly about starting this one. It's important to celebrate EVERY step of the way, to remind yourself what an awesome thing you're doing for your body.

Ps. It sounds like you've already made up your mind about your first mini-goal (dropping a pants size is a great thing to aspire to!), but just to give my $0.02--I agree with the above posters who said you shouldn't necessarily put a time limit on it. You can challenge yourself to do it quickly, sure, but of course you have to keep in mind that it's not a race! That sounds corny, ha, but seriously the most important thing is to lose it healthily, so it'll actually stay off. It seems to me like most people set their mini-goals as a certain amount off of their starting weight, so they celebrate every 5 lbs lost, or every 10 lbs lost, etc. Personally, I wanted my mini-goals to feel REALLY special, so I'm doing every 20 lbs (except for the next one--after I hit 223, my next goal is ONEDERLAND!!) so they wouldn't be as often, but I can really relish them! Hehe.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 AM   #12  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Congrats! And I agree with the other posters, a new jeans size is a good goal to strive for. My big goal now is to lose another 48 pounds, but I try to break it down into smaller ones...right now my goal is to win the "Biggest Loser" contest I have with my coworkers at work.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Nice!! Congrats!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Height: 5'3"

I think 6 pounds is amazing! If you look at my ticker, you will see I keep losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. To me, 6 is amazing!

When I joined here, I found it very useful advice to think to myself that I only need to lose 10 pounds, 10 times. That really helped me to stop thinking "I can't do this - I can't lose 100 pounds".

So maybe 10 pounds is a good mini-goal for you.
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #15  
Tammy73

S/C/G: 254/215/145

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on your loss ShootingStar!
I think you've made a great decision to make your next goal as going down
a pant size.
Mini goals are very motivating and keep you in check.
Great start to your journey & enjoy the rest of it.
Tammy73 is offline   Reply With Quote