General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2001, 09:30 AM   #1  
Roadrunner

I was just wondering if any one out there has had any experience good or bad with the Slim Fast program. I am going to be starting it since I found how to make different shakes instead of just the plain ones that they sell already made. If there is anyone out there who is starting it, thinking of starting it, or already on it, please let me know. I would love to find a buddy who is doing it also. I will post on the Buddy Up! board.

Thanks,

------------------
Amber
"It's never too late to be what you might have been"
Old 01-03-2001, 11:19 AM   #2  

Hi Amber. I'm not on slim-fast but did do it in the past. I lost ALOT of weight on it. I did try to go back on 2 months ago but found I couldn't stay on it more than 4 day of doing 2 shakes a day. I'm doing low carb right now. I lost 20 lbs on it last jan-march. I tried ww but ate to much. the carb thing works for me. Good Luck!!!! If you stick to it,it works but warning you have to keep drinking a least one aday after you lose or you'll gain back once you start eating real food again. Hope this helped
Old 01-03-2001, 11:35 PM   #3  

I tried Slimfast along time ago and it worked. I lost about 20 or 25 lbs. I gained it all back and then some. The problem is not in losing the weight. It is in keeping it off. Slimfast might be a good way to get some of the weight off, but it has to be followed with a change in eating habits. I've tried to do Slimfast again over the years but have such a strong desire to actually chew something that I can't stay with it for more than a week.
Old 01-04-2001, 01:32 AM   #4  

Hi -

Just had to add my two cents. I tried it a couple of years ago, and found that it just made me shaky and irritable. It's no wonder, the things are filled with sugar. For 200 calories, I'd much rather have a large veggie salad with some lowfat dressing, or perhaps a chicken breast. Maybe other people can be satisifed with liquid meals, but I need something to chew on.

S.
Old 01-04-2001, 10:21 AM   #5  
Roadrunner

I did try the low carb diet a few times. The first time I tried it, I was all movtivated and lost 15 lbs in three weeks. The only thing is, is that I had a personal trainer and I passed out one day in on of our sessions and he made me tell him what I was eating and I told him. He told me that I will have to change my diet if I am going to be working out like I am. So, I went out and bought some multi vitamins and that helped me some, but then I still didn't feel good which means I probably wasn't doing something right. My mother lost about 60 pounds doing that low carb diet, but she is gaining it back now that she isnt' on it anymore. Personally, I love bread and milk too much. I even tried sugarbusters, but it is just to hard for me to stick too.

I am going to give Slim Fast a shot. I want to lost a total of 100 pounds, but at least 40 by my wedding date which is May 19th. So, I will probably use the slim fast to help me until my wedding and then just switch to something else afterward to get the rest of the weight off.

I appreciate your input on this and if any one else has any they can add, I would appreciate it also.

Thanks,

------------------
Amber
"It's never too late to be what you might have been"
Old 01-06-2001, 05:49 AM   #6  

I did slimfast a few years ago, and like any fad diet, I lost a lot of weight, only to put it back on as soon as I started eating normally again.
I am now on a healthy eating plan, which is low in fat and calories, and also exercising for at least 30 minutes a day, and have lost 27lb in the last 6 months. This might seem a bit slow to some of you, but believe me I have tried almost every diet there is and this is whats working for me so far. I now feel better and look younger than I did 20 years ago.
Best wishes
Topmonkey

------------------
http://www.ukweight.homestead.com/buddies.html
Old 01-14-2001, 07:01 AM   #7  

I like slimfast. It is the only breakfast I will make time for. It makes me not crave chocolate and gives me a vitamin boost. I still take an apple or pear with me for mid-morning and eat right and exercise all day. I think its a personal choice. I like them, and if you eat right at your other meals, I think you could be very successful. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2001, 09:55 PM   #8  

I wanted to speak on the Slim Fast subject also. I have used it and lost a little bit. But it is full of sugar. Right now I am on a sensible eating and exercise plan<need more of the exercise>...I cut out all sugar except for the natural sugar I get from my 3 servings of fruit a day and the 7 carbohydrates I get a day. A carbohydrate is 15gm of carbs per serving. As an example you can have 2 slices of 40 calorie bread and that is one carbohydrate exchange. Plus you still get 2 servings<16oz> of milk a day. So you do not have to give up your bread and milk. I have lost 20 lbs to date. I just started my 3rd session of First Place<Christian Health Program> I weigh in for the first time tommorrow. I am really excited about it. I have done well and drank 80oz of water everyday. I cannot wait to see what the scales show!....Good Luck on the Slim Fast..but remember there is a better way it's slower but it lasts. Thats whats important to me.
Old 01-18-2001, 02:12 AM   #9  

I used SlimFast once during a very successful calorie-counting + exercise approach to weight loss. I found it helped me focus, by limiting my choices about what to eat. I pretty much had the same thing for breakfast (SlimFast) every day, and the same thing for lunch most days (soup), and some stand-by dinners that I knew the calories for. By exposing myself to too many choices, I get all caught up in what food TASTES like (rather than the fuel I need to live) and eat things out of curiosity rather than hunger. Now, obviously, I couldn't live that way long-term, but if I had a short-term goal (wedding) and a long-term goal that stretched beyond it (another 60 lbs to ideal weight), I might choose a very structured plan like SlimFast to jump-start me and then switch to WW to learn how to eat properly for the long haul. It's not like you won't have plenty of time on WW if you join up after the wedding with >50 to lose! By the time you get to goal, you'll be a pro at healthy eating for life.
Old 01-18-2001, 04:12 AM   #10  

well i have been on herbalife (which is similar to slimfast) u replace two shakes for two meals of your choice. I like a lot of people have gotten bored with the shakes and found with herbalife u can put in cereal, yogurt, etc. trouble is herbalife program has too many pills and becomes expensive. i have tried just about every diet plan etc and have been sucessful. however i found that slimfast has same ingredients as herbalife shake mix so i have decided to incorporate the two programs omit herbalife shake mix and save money!! but i really think the key to your weight loss programs is PORTION CONTROL!!! SLIMFAST, HERBALIFE ETC ARE LIKE STEPPING STONES TO HELP U GET USED TO CUTTING DOWN. HOWEVER I THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA ONCE U HAVE LOST ALL YOUR WEIGHT TO INCORPORATE ONE SHAKE A DAY IN YOUR DIET BECAUSE IT IS HEALTHY FOR YOU!! SOMEONE LIKE ME WORKING A SWINGSHIFT THIS KIND OF THING WORKS FOR ME!! ALSO EXERCISE IS THE OTHER KEY!! NOT REAL HEAVY DUTY BUT AT LEAST 30-60 MINS A DAY CARIO VASCULAR WALKING, SWIMMING, RIDING A BIKE, TREADMILL, ETC. AND MAYBE EVEN LIFTING LT WEIGHTS FOR UPPER BODY AND STOMACH COULD BE INCLUDED. I HAVE FOUND WHEN I INCORPORATE ALL THESE THINGS I LOSE A LOT OF WEIGHT!! lol I WAS DOWN AND OUT FOR ABOUT 3 MOS WITH A PINCHED NERVE AND WAS UNABLE TO EXERCISE DURING THIS TIME WHICH OF COURSE I PUT THE WEIGHT ON. ANYWAY EATING HEALTHY AND EXERCISING TO HELP BOOST YOUR METABOLISM I FEEL IS THE TOTAL KEY. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!! AND HOPE I HAVE NOT BORED YOU!! DIAMONDLADY2
Old 01-18-2001, 08:51 AM   #11  
Puds mum!

Hi Diamondlady. I too was on herbalife but they sucked me into almost selling it NOT ANYMORE!!! I just hate the herbalife shakes they were terrible!!! So I also tried slimfast and it actually started to work faster if I had lo carb lo fat dinners!!! I ended up losing about a lb a day on just the slimfast alone when I realized the vitamins were so unecessary. It didn't change the weightloss at all!! Just some advice .....don't tell your dist. your switching shakes because they will try everything to get you not too!! It really does work even better and tastes awesome!!! Now that Im pregnant I actually have a slimfast as a snack some days or for breakfast. Also I the weight will stay off if you do the maintenance properly ie:don't revert to old eating habits! My sil has kept off 45 lbs since having her DD 2 years ago!!Just my 2 cents!
Old 01-18-2001, 09:54 AM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Just had to add my two cents here on Slimfast. As other posters said, it is mostly sugar and just a little tiny bit of fiber. Kinda like having an Ovaltine with a teaspoon of bran...

I lost 80 pounds on Optifast 12 years ago and have kept it off, but was medically supervised (had to go in twice or more a week), plus the Optifast formula was/is more nutritionally formulated. I was also extremely motivated during that time to lose the weight!

Just think what you can have for that 250 calories - a big salad and a slice of French bread...a large bowl of minestrone soup and some crackers...a turkey or tuna sandwich with light mayo and tons of veggies on light bread...or how about a tuna salad with tomatoes...etc.

Point is, any of those options will fill your stomach and keep you satisfied a lot longer than a can of Slimfast, which is mostly sugar and water - not to mention more nutrients such as beta carotene, etc.

------------------
Mrs. Jim
Old 01-18-2001, 10:00 AM   #13  

hi kennedy! appreciate your input or ur two cents!!! I HATE THE TASTE OF THOSE HERBALIFE SHAKES TOO!! oh and by the way.... they are trying to get me to sell the stuff too! imagine that. i just got another flavor of slim fast too tonight. its much cheaper than the herbalife shakes and taste so...... much better!! anyway i must say that when i did follow ther herbalife program it did work!! however i get tired of all those pills!! and feel sometimes that they are unnecessary. so u see i will be slowly weaning myself off of this stuff. i just wanted to sell enough of the products to get them almost for nothing.. but i really couldn't get enough people into the program... because it is EXPENSIVE!!! and way too many pills. i did not understand what u meant at the end of your reply. were u talking about your sister with the slimfast program?? i think its better and cheaper than herbalife and tastes much better. thanx for your input.

diamondlady2
Old 01-18-2001, 10:55 PM   #14  

Mrs. Jim - you said what I was just thinking! I read what was in the Slim Fast cans and there is a LOT of carb & sugars and not much else. I eat small meals often and I can easily have a great, satisfying meal of the right things for the same calories and enjoy it a whole lot more! I think it works for people who do not have the know-how to put together low-cal balanced meals and want to take the easy way out. However, they are not learning a better way to eat and still lose so chances are, they'll gain the weight back when they stop the shakes. Just my two cents worth.
MSB
Old 01-18-2001, 11:47 PM   #15  
Puds mum!

I don't agree it is for people that take the easy way out at ALL! I use it still becuase it fills me up unlike these small meals that make me hungrier and it works! I also don't have the time you seem to have to make these meals! I have a small child alot of appts. and a home to take care of which leaves me very little time to make meals and I don't enjoy pre-made meals!! I know very well how to make proper meals I did it all my life until having a baby and had a steady weight of 140 and a size 8 but having a baby gave me an appetite that wouldn't go away,so please don't automatically assume otherwise! It is all in the persons choice and by saying people take the easy way out because they happen to like the shakes and feel good when drinking them, it is just wrong!! How would you feel if I said it was ignorent of you to say such a thing to people who are really trying and happen to enjoy the plan there on?? I don't think you'd like it? I don't see why it is so hard to just support peoples choices and what works for them. Were all different and it doesn't mean we take the easy way out.It just means we have different tastes!! Thats it. Im sorry if this was harsh but it really makes me mad when people knock even slightly what works for some and they really enjoy. This forum should be for support in any case not the latter.
Closed Thread