Old 07-25-2002, 02:34 PM   #1  

Wink Probs with Low Carb Diet help anyone????

I am 22 years and a college student. I tried the Atkins Low Carb diet last summer and it really didnt work for me. I am just trying to lose about 10 or 15 pounds but I just want to know if cutting down on carbs does really help you lose weight. I cannot cut down on carbs completely b/c I love diet coke and fruit too much but I justy wanted to know if reduced carbs help weight loss. I exercise often(4 to 5 times a week with weighttraining and elliptical trainers). I am just looking for some motivations!!!!
Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-25-2002, 02:47 PM   #2  

Hey Craftygirl! Welcome!

Have you tried CALP? That may suit your needs! Or perhaps you may want to try cutting out all bread, pasta and starchy veggies and see if that gets those 10 - 15 pounds moving. Consider, maybe choosing fruits that are low on the glycemic index...like berries!

peach
Old 07-25-2002, 05:23 PM   #3  
Senior Chicky

Hi craftygirl! Welcome to a wonderful place with some fantastic chicks.

Yes, reducing your carb intake definately works. I agree with PeachPit-find a LC plan that allows your fruit. I personally follow CAD and with the reward meal may enjoy my fruits or other higher carb foods. There are other LC plans which allow you to spread your carb intake thru out the day and allows a higher amount of carb intake.

Have you read any of the LC books? There is alot of LC plans out there-I think it's about reading and finding what works for you and your tastes and lifestyle that is a liveable plan for you.

I wish you the best of luck.

Janice
Old 07-25-2002, 06:59 PM   #4  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

OK OK OK here is my input

Most low carb plans now do allow the fruit. the diet coke is allowed but if you stall that may be the problem. The reason is that the caffiene in the soda can cause fluid retention as the body feels the fldui being drained from the cells and then the body is stimulated to retain fluid.

the second part is the diet sweetenters can cause your body to feel like it is being given sweeteners and then it causes insulin stimulation.

some diet recomendations is the low glycemic. CALP, and the looser atkins and Protein power. asl you have so little to lose you would be on induction only for the time that it takes to cleanse your body so to speak from the carbos. then you would be on a diet that allows about 80 or so carbs, that allows much leway, with some fruits, and loads of vegies. The trick when close to your goal weight is to learn to eat this way for life so you do not lose weight very fast but learn how to make correct choices. and add the carbs in slowly.

long version. I having nmuch weight to lose am eating a diet of between 30-50 carbs during this time I am on what is called intervention or induction, as i get acculimated to the diet within 2 weeks i start to add carbs (key word is slowly) about 5 daily for a week then the next week 5 more and so on till i stop looseing weight then i drop carbs till I lose weight again. this way i do not lose too fast so my body gets acclimated to the weight loss and i can stay with the loss for my life. If i lose to fast then my body goes into what it calles starvation and will slow down my metabolism to preserve the body from wasting away, this is thanks to the caveman days when us women were left to care for the kids with out food when the men were out gathering foods.

This way also allows me to adjust to eating this way for the rest of my life. as if i do not then i will gain my weight back again. and this alows me to eat more fruits and vegies with the occasional carb loaded food.

The added bonus for you si the weight lifting. i am an avid weight lifter, and i will say that you definatly need to have an increase in carbs when doing that as i know my body does not function well if i eat to low. fruit is one fo the best carbs for that besides vegies,.

let me ask you one thing though if youa re weight lfting how much prtoein are you eating??? you do need to take in a lot about 100+ grams i usually take in about 120 - 150 daily and find that i am not wasteing my muscle. this is very important. I am not saying that just because I ama low carber but from all thw lifting i do i am saying this from all the reccomendations from the weight lifting books and sites that I read.

OH gosh did I say too much?? I will stop and let some one else talk now
Old 07-25-2002, 10:36 PM   #5  
Senior Chicky

Angry Hey Sue!

Wonderful as usual!
Old 07-26-2002, 07:52 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

ok sue... you've guilted me into it... i'll keep better track of my protein. i KNOW i've been low-balling it for the past few days...

and welcome, craftygirl... you'll do just fine. and remember, sue is generally right. i haven't seen her be wrong in, well, i just can't remember!!!!
Old 07-26-2002, 08:54 AM   #7  

I was going to chime in, too, and say that diet coke may be a problem for you ... you might try giving it up and see what happens. Plus maybe just cut down on the fruits a bit and up the veggies.

Pen
Old 07-26-2002, 10:29 AM   #8  
GO CANES!

Sue. WHat a great idea about slowly adding in some carbs and then dropping again. I officially start Monday
Old 07-30-2002, 12:32 PM   #9  

Angry Hi Again

Ok so what exactly are the CAD and CAlp diets , how can I find out about them?

Thanks for all your help and info so far!
Old 07-30-2002, 08:06 PM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Carbohydrate Addicts program or Carbohydrate Addicts life plan but the same by the dr. hellers husband and wife team.

for the day you are allowed to eat but totally low carb and almost no carb really then one meal a day you can eat your carbs for ONLY 1 HOUR NO LONGER!!! after 1 hour you must stop eating. this meal should be a balanced meal for each carb you eat you take in a equal vegie and protein. many people do good , but the problem comes when you do not balance the reward meal. then the caravings come back and you get problems. or eat for more than 1 hour. interesting and it workd for people who are constantly put in difficult situations where eating no/lo carb is difficult.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:41 AM   #11  

Ok hello again, just one more question. Are there any decent tasting low carb bars out there? I looked at WalMart last night and I found a low carb chocolate bar but not a protein bar with low carbs. help anyone??

Sue thank you for all your help and knowledge so far!
Old 07-31-2002, 10:46 AM   #12  

I am reading a book called "Lean for Life" this is a low carb plan, it says it causes "Rapid, safe weigt loss" On the plan you have a protein, veg, and one fruit at each meal and a few protiens for between meals. Except breakfast you can choose one healthy grain in place of fruit at that meal. I thought this plan might help a fruit lover? I havent done it yet, so I cant say how it works. They do have a web site: www.leanforlife.com

Cathy
Old 07-31-2002, 12:13 PM   #13  

Does anyone know how many carbohydrates guacamole has??
Old 07-31-2002, 02:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

MMMMMMMMMMM, guac! Lots of fat in those avacodo's, but I think it's okay for carbs. Dr. Atkins says treat yourself to one once in a while!