Old 09-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

Default New here and wanted to say hi!

I found this website several months ago, but, for some reason, wasn't ready until now. I lost weight several years ago by simply counting calories and walking. I lost 80 pnds. Unfortunately, I like to eat when I'm stressed, so when we moved from one state to the other, I ate....and ate, and ate. : )

After 3 kids and eating a whole bunch all summer, I'm ready. My clothes are tight and I'm tired all the time.

So, I'm back on the calorie counting machine. When I did this method before, I didn't really rule any kind of food out, I just ate less of it. I'm a chocoholic, so at the time, I made sure to squeeze in some sort of sweet each day. This time I'm really cutting back on super sugary snacks and sticking with frozen yogurt. I've been going to the gym every day and will try to stick to my rule of not letting more than one day go by without going.

I'm eating 1200 calories, but there are days like yesterday where I ate maybe 1500. Sticking to low calories, then having a day where I eat a bit more seems to push the weight loss along.

I'm hoping to find some support on those days where I really want to eat (ok, so that's every day). : )

Thanks for letting me ramble/introduce myself!
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #2  

Another thing...I was wondering what method every one is using to lose? Are you mostly calorie counting or what?
Thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! I think you will find a wide variety of plans that people follow here at 3FC. Some people change plans periodically as well.

I currently am calorie counting, with moderate carbs,fats, and proteins.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #4  
I love Werewolf Movies

S/C/G: 270/Tracker, baby, tracker/127

Height: 5'7

Counting Calories. 1677 is the magic number. I have a long way to go - and didnt want to start too low so i wouldn't be a "twig' too soon. lol...
xYourBelleMortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #5  
Fifty by Fifty!

S/C/G: 270.5/232.0/170

Height: 5'8

I generally use counting calories, and I average 1600 a day. I try to base my diet on what are kind of now called the superfoods: salmon, turkey, oats, blueberries, apples, oranges, yogurt, spinach, etc. etc. I try to make sure that MOST of what I eat is GOOD food. I also get to have dark chocolate and red wine.

I got started with SuperfoodsRX Dr. Stephen Pratt. Several people have found that that book was a real changing moment in their thinking about food.

I always figured a DIET was PUNISHMENT FOR BEING FAT! Now I think of my "diet" as an eating plan that nourishes my body, feeds my brain, helps inflammation and pain, and oh, by the way, some weeks I lose weight.

It is an ongoing process for me...bad habits take a long time to break. BUT THIS WEEK I ATE BREAKFAST EVERY DAY!
mollymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi and Welcome!

I am so glad you started posting. You'll find lots of support, ideas and friendship here.

I am a calorie counter. I got my calorie range from sparkpeople.com. I eat from 1200 - 1600 calories daily.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #7  

Thanks so much everyone for the responses! I'm so glad many of you are counting calories, as opposed to doing a formal program, for now I can relate with what you're doing.

Can't wait to post more!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Hey & !

I'm a member of Weight Watchers, but as you can see no one is alone on this board! There's also the Calorie Counters area if you want to meet up with even more CCs.

All the best of luck with your program!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

HI & Welcome!!!

I've been counting calories, watching portion sizes and no snacking at night and it's helped me tremendously - made me feel in control for the first time in a long time.

I'm the opposite of a stress eater -- when I'm stressed, I can't even swallow a bowl of soup -- no, it's when things are happy and fun that I think treats are in order LOL I need some stress and chaos in my life for about 6 months then i'd be super skinny hahaha i'm kidding, i hate drama! ack!

so welcome aboard the board, lots of good advice and knowledge to be found here -- the only thing i can offer is that what works like a charm for ONE person, may not be right for the NEXT. I'm a person who just can't have snacks at night, I've learned that about myself and I'm OK with it, while others can't imagine NOT snacking at night, and we're both losing weight so no one's right, right? It's just to find the right balance for you and your life and stick to it, day after boring frackin' day, if that's what it takes LOL

good luck
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #10  
FB

Welcome! I count calories too, but with a focus on lean proteins and healthy carbs. You'll feel better and your clothes will fit better in no time, regardless of what plan you choose, it's all about what works for you. Stick around!

Last edited by FB; 09-06-2008 at 01:04 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello! You might want to drop in to the Calorie Counters forum on 3FC as well. Here's a link to the FAQ thread--you might find it interesting:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120806

Enjoy! Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #12  
committed

S/C/G: 299/147/120

Height: 5'2"

Hi!
That's one thing I like about this place -- everybody doing this their own way. No conformity expected.

I'm one that doesn't count anything. And I don't prepare or plan ahead of time. No sugar. No eating between meals, unless I feel like I'll be sick if I don't. I let myself be hungry without trying to immediately fix that feeling -- it makes me look forward to dinnertime. I try to avoid junk foods. I avoid excess carbs, but nothing's carved in stone. I usually just eat breakfast and dinner, no lunch, but I'm not doing that on purpose -- just trying to eat only when I'm hungry. (Which includes learning to identify what, other than hunger, triggers me to eat.) I haven't started exercising yet, but I know I'll have to at some point. I also don't write down what I've eaten. I just don't want to think about food that much.

So that's what's working for me, for now.

We'll be cheering you on as you go!

Last edited by piper10; 09-06-2008 at 03:17 PM.
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #13  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Hello and Welcome! I'm a calorie counter as well. I also keep a journal of everything I eat and that's been a big help for me.

I have found so much help and support here at 3fc's and I hope you do as well! Good luck!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote