Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Question Eating before workout

I recently started to get up earlier in the morning to get in a DVD before my DS gets up. I havent been eating anything before and was wondering if I should eat before I do the DVD or if it is okay to wait untill after?

TIA

Angel

Last edited by AngelMae; 09-05-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #2  
Workin' It

I get up and do 45 minutes of cardio and a ten minute video of some kind every day, then take a bath ad get ready for work, then eat breakfast. I've read that you should eat within one hour of getting up, but I haven't had any problems so far with waiting. I get up at 7:00ish, find myself just getting hungry by 8:45 ish just as I finish drying my hair.

Don't know the right way, but that has worked for me so far.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Many people don't eat before a workout. I used to not eat before a workout but then I started having blood sugar issues and now I have to. If you feel fine throughout your workout, then there should be no reason you need to eat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I try to have a piece of fruit or some fruit juice before a workout since I know I need the carbs. I ALWAYS have something protein w/in 30-45 mins after working out.

I don't think you *need* to eat before hand - and I certainly wouldn't eat anything heavy - but I do think that some people (me! ) just can't go into a workout w/out a little something.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

For me it depends on a couple things. What type of workout, and when the last time I ate was.

If I am jogging 3 miles, and the last time I ate was 12 hours earlier, I will eat 1/2 a Zone bar or something so I make it through the workout. If it's a DVD or a walk, then I wait until I am done to eat.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #6  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

I don't eat before working out in the morning either. I just cannot eat that early. My tummy's not up to it or something. I think working out is what has gotten me eating breakfast now even (working up an appetite?)
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Thanks for the info everyone!! I am not hungry when I get up either, but I do try to eat about an hour after I workout!

Thanks again, Angel!!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #8  
Workin' It

Not the exact question, but just learned this... I just started some strength training on a resistance system a few nights a week, and I have found that I get a little light headed if I go into that on an empty stomach. I thought it was a fluke the last time, but it happened again tonight. So, I'm going to eat a little before that next time and see what happens. I don't get hungry or light headed at all during the cardio in the AM, even when I work myself much harder than I probably should...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

I don't eat before an early morning workout but I will eat before a late afternoon workout. There is no right or wrong way of doing it...It just depends on whatever works for you...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote