Old 09-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #1  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Red face Rituals Mundane and Magical

Hello, everybody. Thought I'd try kicking off a new thread!

The thought for this one comes from learning to make daily habits for myself. It was originally inspired by www.flylady.com, but it's taken on a lot more signficance to me than just getting chores done.

For one thing, I'm not thinking of my routines as "routines". In my mind, I'm calling them rituals. I have a morning ritual (as of today) of getting out of bed, taking my empty-tummy supplements, showering, dressing, make-up, prayer, eating, taking my full-tummy supplements, and reading at least one inspiring message.

My evening ritual includes washing my face, brushing my teeth, rewarding myself with stickers on my "diet diary" and engaging in meditation before bed.

Although most of these are mundane-sounding, for some reason, I consider them a part of the complete package. I'm preparing myself mentally and spiritually for the day each morning. I'm preparing myself mentally and spiritually for a peaceful rest each night.

Are there any rituals you have, mundane or religious, that help you through your days?

Tera
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/176/150

I do a lot of the same. I try to pray/meditate in the morning when I first wake up. Take my empty stomach supplements, check e-mail while having my coffee.
At night I again try and pray/meditate, get myself in a peaceful place, and journal the days struggles/events, chores and bed.
I am trying to work exercise in here somewhere but hate it so....
BTW I LOVE flylady and am trying to implement some of her techniwues into my day.
HisBeloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #3  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

My mornings are too rushed, gotta get a kid up, dressed, fed and off to school while getting myself showered, made up, dressed and off to work. I guess a hectic rush can be a ritual...
The only thing I do consistently every single day is write in my food diary which I have started calling my book of shadows. I took a three ring binder and filled it with 100 copies of a word document that has a block for "plan of attack" where I plan out my daily food intake. Under that is a block that says "reality check" and its where I put what I actually ate. Then I have a block for excercise, daily weigh in and another block that is lined for notes which is where I record my trials and tribulations. I always do this sitting down with a cup of tea before bed. I cannot sleep if I don't do it.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #4  

I hear ya ghost, I have to wake up between 5-5:30 to have my quiet time :-/
Old 09-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Neat thread. I need to incorporate more of these into my daily routine... especially evening, so I can sleep more restfully.

BTW, what are "empty tummy supplements"?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #6  

Empty tummy supplements are those that need to be taken bon an empty stomach. I take a probiotic, sam-e and certain herbs before I eat, then there are those that need to be taken with food.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #7  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i love flylady! i like the idea of incorporating my daily routine into my spiritual life. or rather- my spiritual life into my daily routine! i am trying to practice doing things mindfully. and i definitely feel like my work outs are on that level already- a time to clear my head and sing along to my favorite loud music (silently with headphones of course lol). For me- keeping up on my housework and reading every single day before bed helps me feel relaxed.
I am thinking a good time out after workout before bed to drink a cup of tea and write or read something spiritual might be a good add.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 100kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 170cm

This makes total sense to me! I hadn't thought about habits and rountines until I was talking to a friend last night about it.

It allows you to make time for the quiet time. And you ensure you don't miss anything important. Oh - now I'm all excited about deciding what I want to make time for!
Elerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #9  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

You guys are fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

HisBeloved pretty much summed it up, Claire. I have two supplements that I take before breakfast, one is an herbal metabolic booster an the other is an amino acid capsul for muscle building/retention. Then I take my multivitamin and Omega-3 on a full stomach.

Some supplements get absorbed by the body easier without food, others get absorbed easier with food.

I only recently discovered Flylady, thanks to someone in 3FC.

Ghost, I love the names you give everything in your journal! Very motivating!

Lizzie, I have at times found that exercise has a trance quality to it. It depends on what I'm listening to while I'm working out. I've got a Days of the New CD that seems to do it to me every time!

Tera
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:20 AM   #10  
happy in her own world

I love Days of the New! That is totally my cleaning the house CD.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisBeloved View Post
Empty tummy supplements are those that need to be taken bon an empty stomach. I take a probiotic, sam-e and certain herbs before I eat, then there are those that need to be taken with food.
Thanks for the info. I always put my DH's probiotic powder IN his fruit/yogurt/almond milk smoothie - so, is this a no-no??

My mom, who has always been somewhat of a health nut, does the same for my nieces and nephews when she keeps them - stirs it into their kefir.

Are probiotics more effective on empty stomach?

Thanks for the info!!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #12  

Claire- It is my understanding from my current studies (holistic health practitioner) that probiotics are more effective when taken on an empty stomach...BUT if your program is working great! I know it is so difficult to get my husband to take anything I suggest, and will do whatever it takes to get him to agree to take something.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #13  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I meditate while lying in bed at night - it helps me get rid of stress and forget the day as I relax and drift off to sleep. If I don't do this I find I have trouble getting to sleep and suffer from "busy mind syndrome".
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisBeloved View Post
Claire- It is my understanding from my current studies (holistic health practitioner) that probiotics are more effective when taken on an empty stomach...BUT if your program is working great! I know it is so difficult to get my husband to take anything I suggest, and will do whatever it takes to get him to agree to take something.
Thanks for the reply... I will have to try it on empty stomach!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 AM   #15  
happy in her own world

i've been thinking more about ritual and routine and i realize that i just have a real hard time doing things mindfully. i can't just do one thing. if i'm on the laptop the tv is also on, if i'm exercising i am blasting music, if i'm cleaning the house i'm blasting music, if i'm reading i'm blasting music... is the sound of my own mind THAT off-putting? hmmm...

what do you think would help with that? attempts at meditation seem like an end goal... any thoughts?