Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Cool Runners --- September thread!

I haven't seen a September thread started yet so I'm going to boldly start one. It bodes well for my running this month if I take the initiative, right?

So after 13 days off, I've done 2 days of running in a row. Today I did an almost 5K loop around my neighborhood and it was quite nice. It was a really different feeling doing a non-training run and I found it really relaxing to just focus on my form and push myself a bit. Near the end of my half marathon training I started to feel like I was over-using my quads because of tightness in my hip flexors but I really didn't want to start messing with my form that late in the game. Now I'm trying to open up my hips and use my glutes more. I'm also focusing on keeping my forearms tucked in more and moving forward and back rather than crossing in front as I tend to do. Hopefully all this will come together to result in more efficient running, better times, and less leg pain!

Speaking of time, I have to share my one annoyance from tonight's run! I've set myself a goal of making 5K in under 30 minutes. I know I can do it but it's just not something I've achieved yet. Tonight I had an issue with my Garmin (I forgot to clear off yesterday's run so it was cumulative time/distance for both runs!) and I didn't know what my time and distance were until I got back home. I was at 4.7K in 30:30. Gah! I was kicking my butt for not having kept closer track because I so could have pushed that tiny bit more. Ah well, I guess that's a good reason to run more!

Tomorrow night I'm thinking of going to be a group leader for a clinic run at the store where I did my clinic. There's a 10K clinic that's about half way through and they're looking for volunteers to run with the group to keep up morale and make sure nobody gets left behind. My running buddy has encouraged me to go to encourage those not-so-tiny runners ("Hey, if I can run a half-marathon at 196 lbs you can run 10K at 180!" ). I'm interested in doing it to keep up my motivation with a weekly commitment, but there's a part of me that feels intimidated. I'll let you all know how it goes!

(I tried posting this last night but it didn't work, so here's hoping it works this morning!)
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Kim -- I think you should definitely go be a group leader at the clinic! What a great way to stay involved and provide inspiration to others while inspiring yourself! Definitely don't be intimidated!

The last few days are a blur (sad stuff going on at home), but I remember seeing that Hadaad rocked a 10k, CONGRATULATIONS!

I ran this morning and it was sooo humid. Even my hands were dripping with sweat within just a couple of minutes. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to cooler, winter-ish weather. Summer just can't end fast enough.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #3  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

wanted to ask some advoce form the runners thread.....

im a runner, sort of a i think of my self as a fake runner. I really enjoy running, and i can run a fair way without having to start walking, but i cant run non stop YET. I went for a run last night and i think i ended up doing about 3 miles, which in k is 4.82 which is pretty good for me. Thats about 90% runing 10% walking i will add.
But i was wondering to lose weight, what is the best running pattern in a week? short distances daily? or long distances every couple of days?
I really wanna shift some lbs for a challeneg im doing, so im willing to step up my exercise now, but thought i would see which would be most effective from the people who know best.
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/228/192

Height: 5'11-15/16"

Yes. I haven't been on here in awhile (work has been kicking my butt) but I did run 10 km on Saturday as part of the Nike+ Human Race. I was amazed to find that I did it in 57:30. I was also amazed to discover that was about half the distance of a half-marathon. I could do it. I'm sure I could.

I just don't want to think about the shape my legs would be in if I had to do it... say... tomorrow.
hadaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #5  

Hey guys!
I hope I can post in this thread often this month (ie I run often!). I'm just a starting out jogger / walker / runner, but I'm working at it. I just got back from running at the gym. I was really excited - it was my first time to really work out after a necessary summer off and I ran pretty well for me. I ran a total of seventeen minutes, including two five minute segments at 5.5 speed and a 3 minute jog at 6.0 speed! I didn't want to push it to much on my first day back so I didn't run any complete miles, but I'm really itching to see how fast I can run one now. My best time last year was about a 9:40 mile and I really want to get under 9:00 before Lacrosse season really picks up. I would be in heaven if I got an 8:00 mile, but it's too soon for that one.

I'm so glad to get to run again! I love running on treadmills so much more than when I went outside...

3/50 miles done!
Viatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #6  

I ran my 3 miles today (on the treadmill) and I was good and stopped, even though I wanted to keep going. (Am trying very hard to go slow and not re-injure myself.)
Transformer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

freethetoys - I'm not too sure what type of running is best for weight loss. I know that there are people who go along with the idea that lower heart rate zones (60 % max) are better for fat burning and higher zones are more for cardio, but I've heard arguments against this view too. Personally, I like to change things up a bit to keep running interesting. A typical training week for me will look something like this: Sunday long slow distance, Monday rest, Tuesday medium length fast run, Wednesday hill training, Thursday medium length easy run, Friday rest, Saturday short easy (or rest). This is based on the clinic that I did with The Running Room and I'm down 29 lbs so it can't be bad for weight loss.

viatre and transformer - WTG on getting started!! I'm of the opinion that that's by far the hardest part of running.

So I went out to the clinic last night and it was really good. The lecture was on cross-training and the guy was a lot of fun. He must have been in his mid-fifties and he put all of us to shame when we did the core exercises on the floor! During the run I ended up being the one to call out the walk breaks since the instructor didn't have her watch and then when the group broke up I stayed with the folks in the back so I actually felt like I earned my keep. It seems crazy to me that I get to sit in on these lectures for free and then get a 30% off coupon for running with the group!
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethetoys View Post
But i was wondering to lose weight, what is the best running pattern in a week? short distances daily? or long distances every couple of days?
I really wanna shift some lbs for a challeneg im doing, so im willing to step up my exercise now, but thought i would see which would be most effective from the people who know best.
I think any sort of consistent running program where you challenge yourself will help you lose weight, it certainly helped me. Personally, the most important thing to me is to keep it fun and enjoyable, so I like to mix it up. Some runs I set out to run intervals, some I set out to run "relaxed". I make sure to change up routes, throw in some treadmill work, etc. I generally try to run every other day and do a different exercise (usually biking) on the day in between.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Hello everyone, I want to tell you I managed to get through my 5K on Monday and stay on the course (those arrows drawn on the pavement are such a help! Not to mention all the other runners in front of me!) And guess what! Guess what! I won 3rd place in my age group (40-49, and I'm sure there were more than 3 of us, so I did beat someone!). I got a nice medal (which I wore -- me and the other 8 year olds -- the rest of the time I spent at the festival - the race was part of a community day) and also a pie. Yes, a pie. I sadly had to give it away, but it was the thought that counted??? And it made some friends of mine quite happy.

Anyway, some ladies at a quilt raffle saw me with my medal and said, "Oh, you must be fast." And I said, " No, I've just hung in there long enough!" That's my thought for today. Keep on trying and I will improve, not to mention have a good time and accomplish something I never thought possible 2 years ago. Not winning something but being fit enough to be able to run 3.1 miles. I'm truly grateful for the whole thing.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #10  
Michelle the Vegan

Whoo hoo, congratulations, Speedy!! Wear that medal with pride!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #11  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Pink...very cool.
Kim...very cool.
Jo...stay cool.
I did a shorty 2 miles with 2 or 3 lb. (not sure, bought them a while ago) hand weights yesterday. I feel like it works me harder with more resistance and hopefully helps my arm muscles shape up. In fact, an acquaintance of mine commented on liking the way my arms looked today. Let me mention that I have biggish upper arms. Hearing that made me feel pretty good.

I'm aiming for a longer run tomorrow (6) but it requires me to leave at exactly 7am and run kinda fast for me. I am carpooling a very prompt neighbor and need to leave the house at 8:20 on the nose. I am unable to leave earlier and of course all the kids and DH have dire needs right at the moment I try to head out the door. So, I'll put on my gear which I will have set up next to my bed. And I'll split most likely after giving DH a ride to the train station at 6:55a. OK, I'm feeling this is do-able.
And of course, now there is accountability on my end. hee. (thanks cool running chicks at 3fc)
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I guess I should check in, I read this thread but I'm bad about posting in it. I was out of town last week on a business trip to Brazil and wasn't able to work out at all!! Coupled with nonstop eating, the scale result wasn't good. However, I kicked off September with a 9 mile run followed by 2 hours of kayaking, so I felt much better ....

There are several in my running group that are training for Fall marathons, including New York. My first event is a half marathon in November, and my long runs have usually been 10-12 miles, so I'm ahead of the game. I'll just be glad, glad, glad when it cools off a bit!! Now if those dratted storms just avoid Florida, we'll be in good shape.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #13  
Michelle the Vegan

MBN -- just taking a wild guess and asking if you are planning on doing the Space Coast Half in November?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #14  
Michelle the Vegan

Today I fast walked 1 mile to get to a place with a great 5k route, then I ran a 28:01 5k (w00t!) then fast walked 1 mile home. It was nice.

Kitty - that's interesting about the hand weights, sounds like a good workout. I'm afraid to do anything that would throw off my form, so I've never tried the hand weights. I hope you got you 6 miler in today!

Welcome viatre and transformer!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #15  

I still feel a bit like a fraud posting in the "runners" forum but since I aspire to kick as much butt as you all do, I'm going to "fake it til I make it." If that's ok with you all.

Did my 3 miles on the treadmill again today. This time I did it with the incline on 2.0 instead of 1.0. I think it was some combination of that coupled with my lower body weight training yesterday that made such that I had to reeaaaally push through that last mile just to finish!
Transformer08 is offline   Reply With Quote