Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Dieting with Diabetes - "FALL is in the AIR"

Good Morning and welcome to our new chat thread for the new season. Although Autumn does not officially start until the 22nd, Labour Day weekend always seems to be the real start for some reason. So . . .

to the DIETING WITH DIABETES seasonal support/chat thread! This is the place to check in regularly, share and receive support, and get to know one another. Lets encourage one another all we can as we live day to day with this disease.

We are glad you are here! If you are a newbie, please feel free to join right in! And don't forget to go an add a bio in the Getting to Know You thread up in the Sticky area.

Last edited by meowee; 09-01-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning! Labour Day always feels like the start of a new year to me. I guess I spent too long in school.

Well, my tester bit the dust over the weekend for sure. I hope it's just the battery which is easy to replace. Perhaps it's just as well because the past few weeks have not been good weeks - too much company and partying.

Back on track today for sure and have my meals planned for the week. Now to execute the plan!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #3  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Me too, RUTH, me too . . . . . . I'm so 'old-fashioned' the first thing I did this morning was change purses -- no white after labour day , you know -- Hey, don't worry about the batteries, just get a whole new glucometre -- somebody is always doing a special where you get the machine free just for buying the test strips.

August was not one of my better months . . . no movement of the ticker will be happening . . . hey, could be worse at least it stays the same. Unfortunately the BGL is still following the same nasty pattern of being high in the am and then dropping very nicely by dinner.

Had a really strange freak storm yesterday (nothing like the hurricanes pounding some areas, of course, but bad enough that you couldn't see to drive). I was in Walmart when it arrived and they took a generator hit so they were rushing everybody through cash and out of the store while their emergency power was still working. I still did a couple of other stops (hey, I was soaked anyway) on my way home and was completely wet, cold, and miserable at the end. The storm continued to rage all night and now it is actually sunny, even though the forecast is for more rain. Just have to wait and see.

Nothing much going on for me today, anyway . . . hope the rest of you can keep things moving and shaking . . .
Old 09-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #4  

Morning everyone..its windy,rainy and cold this am..it was a sunny weekend tho..and i had a great time with my family,the grkids and i played games and we had a bq sat night..today they helped us move everything into the living rm as we are getting floor ready for the new tile always mess befor the end results..glad u are feeling better meowee, my sl was 104 this am..but i must say that im slipping back into old eating habits lately so today im back journaling and on ww..hope u all have agreat day rosey
Old 09-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/279/180

Height: 5'10"

Hello Everyone!

The weather here is iffy -- for the most part it is warm (90 degrees F), but we see clouds and are awaiting some of the residuals from Gustav in the next couple of days.

I went to the store today to get some pants in a new size. They had great specials going on and I had some discount coupons, so I barely spent anything! The pants are still a bit snug, but we will be travelling to Africa with my parents a month from now and by that time they should be fitting perfectly. I hope!

My glucose has been measuring around the 130s first thing in the morning. Not sure what to do to get it lower, but I will keep working on it. If I were not diabetic, would that mean that my fasting glucose level would be consistently below 100? Just curious.

Meowee -- I hope you've recovered from your tumble!

Rosie and Ruth -- good luck to returning to the plans now that the holiday is over. I've got to stay focused too so that I can move the scale down a few more ticks before I travel!

Later!
Dyan
Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #6  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

How can you tell that the last long weekend of the summer has passed into history? The sun is shining this morning; that's how. Doesn't make a lot of difference to me, personally, but I really feel for all those that had their last bit of summer freedom ruined by old Mother Nature.

Speaking of Ma Nature, ver glad to hear that her little Gustav has dwindled down to nothing exciting. Not so happy to hear that her latest DD, Hannah, is picking up steam -- especially since 'they' are saying she just might be heading our way by this coming weekend. Of course, a lot can change between now and then.

Afraid I really don't have a good answer for you DYAN . . . my mornings are often horrendous (this morning 9.3/167) but I usually get back to the good numbers by mid to late afternoon. As far as "normal" people being constantly under 100? I don't think that is always the case either. Everybody's BGL varies depending on so many factors. Suffice it to say, their variations are probably not as wide as ours.

Nothing big in my plans for this lovely looking day -- at least not so far -- one of the joys of retirement is being able to change your mind on the spur of the moment so who knows what I might end up doing.

Hope everybody else has a great day on the go . . .
Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Grrrr! My demon sister forced me to have ice cream and honey with lunch yesterday. I'm sure my BGL went up in the afternoon as I felt really cruddy. That'll "larn" me! August was a dead "gain" as far as my ticker is concerned. It's lying at the moment but I intend to change that.

New blood monitor for free? Somehow I think that doesn't work when you are as old as I am and even the test strips are covered by OHIP. I'll check out battery replacement later this week - a really busy one, darn it!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #8  

Hi everyone..nothing going on today..its a quiet day for me..had pt this morning,but this afternoon ive been reading and taking it easy..im a little tired from the fun weekend..sl was 107 this morning and so far staying on my food plan..have a nice evening rosey
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #9  

Good morning everyone!

Well, it looks like Gustav sent some winds and rain my way yesterday, but then we are also right in the middle of a low front coming from one direction and a high front coming from the other direction. Weather could be unstable for a few days yet!

DH is traveling until Friday (boo!) I always feel a bit down when he is away. Created a bit of struggle in the food arena last night. Nothing major. Just had an extra *legal* treat that I wouldn't normally have. Will buck up today, though!

Glucose count today was 134 - hmmmph - about par for the course.

Oh well! Will keep chasing after the remedy today and will be extra vigilant of my meals and extra active.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Dyan
Old 09-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #10  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Just to let you know, I've been having really weird computer problems the past few days and will be making an appointment to get this little beastie a checkup, hopefully before the weekend. At the moment, 3FC is one of the few places I'm able to access, but I don't know how much longer that may last. So if I do go completely missing, and you need Mod assistance with anything, give a yell (either here or by PM) for RuthXXX who will, I imagine, bring help.

Bought myself a new toy yesterday, a laptop, along with a cute little stand for it (which took me over 3 hours to put together ) and a thingamajig to allow me to set up my own little wireless network -- BUT -- this nasty desktop (which is currently hardwired into the cable connection) will not let me load the software to set up the wireless.

Happy to say, the computer problems did not send me into an eating frenzy yesterday -- hey, who can afford to overeat when they've just bought a bunch of new toys My BGL was down to a nice 6.0 (108) by dinner time last night (usual pattern) and was sitting at 8.3 (149) this morning -- definitely not as bad as yesterday morning. Weather yesterday was magnificent and this morning is also lovely. "They" are forecasting for more rain this afternoon and that is definitely not needed. Many places in Pictou County are still suffering from the aftermath of that freak storm on Sunday. Luckily I'm on higher ground and didn't get the flooding that some people closer to the harbour had to endure.

Hope everybody has a great day and also hope I will be back . . .
Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #11  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Hi all just a quick drive tho,,,beautiful day today,,think we might have a long indian summer,,,nights are nice and cool,,,feels really good,,,bs was up 150 this am,,,dang sometimes I get so sick of trying and trying,,,but I keep doing it,,,,nature of the beast,,ha ha,,,anywaya i am off to work ,,have a fabulous day all,,,,Jeanne
Old 09-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #12  

Hello this fine day!

Worked out for an hour last night. Still am stuck at the weight I've been at for about a week. BG count is at 126 this morning.

DH returns home tomorrow!!

Hope you all have a wonderful day today!

Dyan
Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #13  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Hi all morning,,another beautiful day today,,but sure cold in the night makes for great sleeping,,work was long yesterday,,have bow hunters in town so extra folks and cooking and drinking,,ha,,tips were good so am happy,,,

Bs up this am same as yesterday,,,but does go down during the day. am sure it is because I get home so late and take my shot and then have something to eat,,,anyway have a great day all and hi to everyone,,,Jeanne
Old 09-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #14  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

This desk-top computer is getting more and more disagreeable. New lap-top is up and running but I cannot connect it to the internet until this old thing cooperates. A friend gave me a name fo a local 'wizard' to call. So far no answer. I suspect he actually works for a living and just plays computer repairman as a sideline, so will try again later this evening. My fallback is to take it to Staples on Monday. So . . . hopefully I'll be running fine on both of them by early next week at the latest. In the meantime, just keeping the

My BGL was awful this morning but was down to tolerable levels by lunchtime. May be a little stress in the mix.

BTW, I really like your new Avatar DYAN . . .
Old 09-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #15  

Hi everyone..just got back from doctor's..no more iv's, and the pic line(iv port more permanent than reg) are now gone im so happy to not have anything attached to me and so far health is good,home health care nurse and aid are discont..still have pt tho..so all is good..it felt great to get out of the house for awhile..meowee do u have a router hooked up to old pc so u can use both ? i had to get one as mine acted the same sil installed it and all's fine now..hope u are all having a great day..((((hugs))) rosey
Closed Thread