Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #1  
No description available.

Default Cycling Chicks--Sept 2008

Cycling chicks is for new and experienced riders and everyone else too!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #2  
No description available.

Nelie, congrats again on the bike. I hear you with the crotch issues. That is what makes my rides, uh, less than totally enjoyable. I am still jacking around and NOT getting an appropriate seat. Perhaps that will be one of my goals for today.

I find that my hands and wrists do bother me a bit on longer rides as well, but my wrists tend to be my weak points. My trainer showed me some wrist strengthening exercises, but have I done them yet???

Gina, I am in awe of people who clip into their pedals. That may be something that I someday maybe perhaps might consider. DH has those, but the thought of being attached to my bike---hmmm, gotta work on that fear, cause I know they can be very helpful--so he says!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I didn't even think about wrist exercises. I have a history of carpal tunnel and although it has mostly disappeared, my hands went numb on the bike ride and all I could think is that if my hands are numb, then I can't brake.

As far as clipping into the pedals, that does sound super scary to me. My bike doesn't even have toe holds. I may need to get something though because sometimes my feet do slip and its unnerving to me.

I also did buy a new bike seat and I do think its more comfortable but I was still sore from the riding day to really tell.

I wrote an entire diatribe about it on the Lifting forum but have any of you read Selene Yeager's blog? http://fitchick.bicycling.com/ I find her pretty inspiring and I was reading one of her books to help me overcome my fear of the bike. She ran the Ironman yesterday and came in first place for her age group and #16 overall for the women.

Which also brings up another topic, is anyone else training for a tri? I think there are a couple of us right? Midwife? Tyler? anyone else?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #4  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

DH took of DD training wheels last weekend! And boy can she fly! She was ready back in June but her confidence was not! I am so proud of her.

I have carpol tunnel issues to and after 5k I am numb. But hey I could go 5 min last summer! With more lbs gone the better my wrists and hands. I do wear braces for longer rides. Sure do give pretty tan lines!

Gonna help friends move this am then me and the boys are going out for a ride.
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I learned the hard way not to clip in while riding in traffic. Plopping into the middle of the street at a stop light that didn't turn green on time... But for the bike trail? It ROX. You get way more of a workout because you get pulling up action along with pushing down. Also excellent for stationary bikes. I also clip out before a big hill...again....lesson learned. I do have pedals that can be used with or without clips.

LOL @ JuliaHood and tan lines...even with 40 SPF sunscreen I still have tan lines for tshirt, gloves, socks, and capris...I look so HAWT in a swimsuit.

I haven't had problems with numb hands - but I am just recently recovering from a thoroughly annoying 8 month case of tennis elbow. So do your stretching and exercises. I still wear an elbow brace for longer rides or if I know there will be a lot of hills.

nelie - thanx for the link - she does look quite inspiring! I haven't talked myself into a tri yet...I might try a bike race first. I run sometimes...especially when the elbow thing had me banned from the bike. I swim sometimes, too...why not combine them? Ironman, tho. WHEW.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #6  
=D

So are you girls that are training for triathlons members of clubs? I know some people who are, but I dont really know how things work in the US when it comes to participating in triathlons and such. In truth, I'm not fantastically informed about how things go down here in AUS, either... lol. But I'd love to know more.

Last edited by mazza; 09-01-2008 at 11:20 PM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #7  
Just Me

From what I've read, if you plan on doing road cycling and competing, then you should join a club.

My goal right now is just to learn how to ride a bike without having to worry about 'rules'. Although I've also read that if you ride with better riders, its easier to get better yourself. We are riding with a friend who has participated in triathlons before so she gives us advice.

Bike stores and what not are good places to find clubs/events.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Mazza, I'm not a member of a local tri club, but I frequent the www.beginnertriathlete.com website (and have a training log there). It is a great site for newbie (and experienced) triathletes...

I am volunteering at the local tri in October (one I've raced twice) since I figured it was time to give back. I'm looking forward to it. The race is sponsored by the local tri club, so if I meet people I like there I may end up joining. You definitely don't need to join any groups to race, though, I certainly didn't.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I'm nervous about clips too but am adding baskets. My chiropractor swears it makes riding more efficient because you don't waste energy keeping your feet in place.

I find I have more problems with my wrists when my seat isn't angled just right. It's been adjusted a few times and one of the wrong adjustments led to a lot of arm numbness. Now that we've adjusted again things seem better.

Chick - I've got Keen tan lines. Does limit the sandals I want to wear
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #10  
=D

Jo - thanks for the website, it's been really interesting to look through and read.
They've got some pretty neat resources on there.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #11  
=D

Hey everyone - I'm in need of some advice.

The bike I'm riding now (not my BMX) is about to complete its falling - apart process, and so I've been looking for a new one to buy for quite some time. The thing is, I'm not sure which sort of bike I should go for.

Initially, I had thought a mountain bike since it would probably be best suited for the sort of riding that I do, but the idea of a hybrid has also tempted me.
Also, If I ever did participate in a race/triathlon, would a mountain bike be suitable? I'm willing to spend a fair amount of money which I've been saving (for me anyway) - which is AUS$1000 / US$840 approx.

Any suggestions? Should I just stick with the mountain bike choice?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #12  
Just Me

I'm no expert but...

Mountain bikes are very good at being mountain bikes and you can handle some tough terrain. Roadbikes are very good for racing on paved type surfaces. Hybrids can handle a little bit of both but aren't necessarily great at one or the other. If your focus is to do a lot of rough terrain, then I say go with the mountain bike but that probably wouldn't be that great for triathlon type racing. If you definitely want to do triathlons or similar racing and the terrain isn't that rough, then go with a hybrid.

That is just based on what I've read
Old 09-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #13  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I did my first triathlon on a mountain bike (they have a special division if you are racing on a mountain bike usually called the "fat tire" division) and my second on a hybrid. My husband does all his triathlons on a mountain bike since that is the only bike he has.

My advice: I'd say if you are just going to be a hobbiest at the triathlons -- sticking to sprint distance races -- then get a mountain bike since it sounds like your regular riding will be mostly on rough terrain. My husband loves to hop curbs and ride dicier dirt paths and that sort of stuff -- things I never do on a hybrid.

You can always consider a tri-specific bike later if you get addicted to triathlon and want to go the serious distances...
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #14  
Just Me

Tyler - I wasn't aware of fat tire divisions and that is interesting! I agonized a bit over a hybrid vs a road bike and went with the road bike because it felt light and easy to handle and planned to go on fairly smooth terrain. Later on when I get better, I'd like to get a more rugged bike although I couldn't see myself doing some of the insane stuff mountain bikes are designed to do.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #15  
=D

Thanks for the info, ladies. I think based on what you both have said and the things I've been taking into consideration - (what i'll mainly use the bike for, for the time being), I'm going to go with a mountain bike.

That's great to know - the fat tire division thing. I had no idea! I love this thread. I'm learning heaps and getting to talk to fellow cycling chix.