Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:07 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up The Beck Diet Solution – September 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

Welcome to The Beck DIET solution discussion group, support group, diet coach group relating to the book by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.
The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).

There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if we learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet coach to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The book, The Beck Diet Solution, is available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking here.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

The Beck Diet Solution – August 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – July 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – May 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – April 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – March 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution - November 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - October 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - September 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - May/June 2007
Old 09-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Labor Day in the US

Diet Coaches – Spent a good part of the day fixing small things between the tenant turnover of the end of August - the standard rental lease end around here. "Fixed" the timer on the stove that wouldn't quit dinging by, with great amount of taking apart, simply disconnecting it. I hate the clock/timers on stoves. They always break; they cost more than $100 to replace; and they aren't as useful as the $20 ones that everyone ends up using anyway. (Except for us. We used one of those $2.95 mechanical timers for years. I liked the loud ticking - knew it was going.)

Had one of DW's purple heirloom tomatoes with garden basil and Hellman's mayonnaise on whole wheat bread crusts for lunch. Just doesn't get better than that. CREDIT moi. Was a good walking day, some 18,000 steps. Haven't done that much in a while. CREDIT moi. Quiet end of summer around here. Except that the blueberries were from Nova Scotia. Bad sign when the blueberries are from that far north; there's no place further north growing blueberries for next month. The end of blueberries is neigh. Oh Well.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Drooling over the "feta/spinach/pinenut/ sun dried tomato pasta number." Yep, Kudos for all your food prep for the start of the school year. Looking forward to hearing how DD fares with kindergarten. (And how kindergarten fares with DD, LOL.)

onebyone – Congrats for delivering the Astronaut painting; Glad that you closed the loop on that story because I remember when you sold it. Just great that you're developing loyal customers for your art. That is a clear career development. Kudos for passing on all those market show temptations, although I admit, I'd like to go back and check out the "giant fruit booth from southwestern Ontario." Keep the faith on your wagon. I do like your wagon built for two idea, and was LMAO at forgetting where you parked your wagon.

shrinkin - Yep, understand you need a break to figure out what day of the week it is, LOL. Will miss your posts - they're never "boring".

Susan (QuilterInVA) - Thanks for the tip to replace a broken venetian blind rod using a dowel with an eye hook screwed on - hadn't thought of that. RE "Certain Foods Can Burn Fat?" I spend my entire life believing that celery burned more calories than it contained. Alas, as an adult, I came to believe that it wasn't so. If it's not true about celery, what can it be true about? Perhaps Weight Watchers zero calorie soup?

Readers – "You may not be conscious of it, but you always have a thought before you eat. … Beck, pg 26.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #3  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Labour Day Monday here too.

Hi coaches

Quote:
Readers – "You may not be conscious of it, but you always have a thought before you eat. … Beck, pg 26.
This made me laugh as my first thought was very un-Beck. It was "yeah, I think 'what else is there?' "

It's a true day off for me. Have rental car. Will travel. There are two artist studio tours this weekend and we'll hit both today. One, called the Sundance Studio Tour, is in Maberly (love saying that), where it is all at one stop. Unusual for a studio tour but others have told me "it's a good one and you'll love the grounds" so looking forward to it and since that one is all in one place the second tour is not all in one place.The Inroads Studio Tour is really all over the map. Lots of tiny places to drive through. I love that. And the weather is perfect. So ironic. On this, the last holiday weekend of the summer we finally get a summer weekend..and week if you can believe the weatherman. Oh, this made me laugh. There was a headline in the local paper that I had to tear out. "Winter forecast anyone's bet" OMG this is "news"? So funny. Canada's head meteorologist first tells us not to put any stock in the Farmer's Almanac forecast for a bone-chilling winter this year, with below average temperatures for most of Canada....but then he goes on to say that neither La Nina or El Nino have set themselves up so we are in La Nada he says, neutral conditions. Of the 23 times we were set up for winter in the same conditions since 1960, 10 winters were warmer than average, 9 colder and 4 inbetween. Unfortunately there is no mention that winter this year just won't come...

Back OP today. At the market yesterday I was looking for eggs and the regular chicken eggs were sold out but I was offered Argentinian Chicken eggs...also known as the Easter Egg Bird...the eggs I bought have shells ranging from pale blue to pale yellow. $3.00/dzn. I went for those over the other choices: a dozen pheasant or quail, 8 duck eggs or a lone emu egg!

Oh yeah I deserve a credit for boxing up half of my shrimp and spinach salad last night at a restaurant before we went to the movie. It wasn't that hard as the salad wasn't great and I will today be tossing that salad instead of eating it. Credit moi for this... I am going to do it right now. Did it it's gone. I've also just finished cooking some chicken and some beef for the coming week and for sandwiches for our road trip today. Not leaving things to chance.
Credit moi for planning ahead.

BillBlueEyes We saw The Dark Knight last night in IMAX and it struck me that it'd be great to have Wayne Enterprises build me my next wagon. Indestructible, it would just scoop me up and point me in the right direction. Always fuelled and ready to go.... and very very attractive so I would never want to leave my wagon... never. Oh and I saw one tomato ripening up in my garden. Don't know which heirloom variety fought it out to survive in my garden! Will have to consult my photos I took when I planted them. The markers are long gone.

hbuchwald Ah you're well on the wagon trail my friend All the time spent in prep will pay off as time spent OP. SO glad you're finding your way again...

Off to have coffee and watch some CNN about Gustav. I sure hope everything that happens is not as bad as I fear. Those poor folks!

Last edited by onebyone; 09-01-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #4  

Good morning Coaches

Just a quick hello on this much-deserved day off. Hope everyone is using it to relax.

Credit to me for staying on plan through all of the back to school craziness. I'm now up to a 15 pound loss. I NEVER thought that these little 5 pound goals would be such a great idea. Instead of looking at the horrible big picture of how much I have to lose, I feel like a winner each time I hit a 5 pound goal. And my toenails have never been prettier! (my 5 pound loss reward is a pedicure)

As I head back into the crazy work week, please know, Coaches, that I am lurking and really appreciating everyone's thoughts, struggles and victories. They are really such a huge part of this program. THANK YOU.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #5  

Good evening!

Freer congrats on the 15 pounds gone! Yep, breaking down into 5 pound goals is much easier to deal with. I love it get pedicures more then manicures.

OnebyOne we have an artists colony not far from here and they have a studio tour the first week in December. I always look forward to that. Next weekend is Market Days - a festival of artists - painting, glass, ceremaics, jewelry, wood carving. We always go to that, too. My friends want me to rent a wheelchair so I won't miss it this year. I haven't looked at the Farmers Almanac yet, but I'm afraid we're in for a cold winter after the cool August and July. Just so we don't have snow.

BBE, our blueberries are over I think. Darn, they are my favorite berry.

Okay, the diet myth for yesterday was "Certain Foods Can Burn Fat." Here's the answer given:

According to the "negative calorie effect," the act of chewing and digesting certain foods burns up more calories than the food itself contains. Cucumbers, celery, and grapefruit top the list of foods rumored to have "negative calorie" value. However, while it may seem as if you expend a lot of energy when you chew, in reality, chewing eats up only about 11 measly calories per hour. Low-calorie, high-nutrient foods certainly will help you lose weight--not because they creat negative calories, but because you're munching on them instead of crackers, chips and cookies.

If you said "Wrong" you are right.

Tomorrow's question is "It's better to eat six mini meals than three squares." What do you think?

I started back on Day 1 today. Listened to the CD and then did the workbook. You can always learn something new. I had stopped reading my list of why I wanted to lose weight every day but I typed it up and stuck it up on the refrigerator.

I just felt like I had to get outside today. I used my crutches and "walked" to the lake and sat on one of the benches there for awhile. Just felt good to be outside. It's only a 10 minute walk but people stopped and offered me a ride.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches – Could easily get used to taking Monday off. Took a long walk with DW where she showed me the many places where invasive plants are seriously taking over and the several places where fighting back has kept them at bay. Just made it to the gym before they closed early for the holiday. CREDIT moi. Had corn on the cob twice as planned. CREDIT moi. Lean Cuisine frozen meals were on a good sale, so I bought five different types as emergency lunches for when I don't want to make something. This will be different, since I haven't had something like this since frozen "TV dinners" from my youth (where you bent up the corner of the foil so that the apple crisp got browned). Will defer taking credit until I see if they're edible, LOL.

onebyone – LOL that you will "have Wayne Enterprises build me my next wagon." Hope you design the chassis, or at least create a design for Robin (RobinW) to wrap. Yep, Kudos for first boxing up and then tossing that shrimp and salad. You're ahead of me; I have to leave it until it spoils before I can toss it. Wow, I've never heard of "Argentinian Chicken eggs," but I do know that an emu egg is rather large. Trying to imagine eating 1/5 of an emu egg for breakfast.

Susan (QuilterInVA) - Kudos for getting that walk to the lake. Yah for restarting Beck. Glad you're back to daily reading your Advantages Response Card. I continue to do that daily myself.

RE 6 vs. 3 meals: I started with 3 and was religious about eating nothing in between. Then became very comfortable with 3 snacks scheduled between them. Having planned, scheduled snacks helps me avoid grazing because I have in mind what I'm going to eat next.

freer - Congrats on that 15 pounds, and Big Kudos for staying on plan through school start up craziness. Will think of you doing your Teachercise this week even if you're not posting.

Readers – "… Let’s say you open a package of peanut butter crackers on the counter. You don’t just automatically reach for a cracker and put it in your mouth. Your thoughts influence what you do. … " Beck, pg 26.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #7  
persist

Thumbs up and September begins

Good Morning Coaches

I'm officially weighing in on Tuesdays now and I am happy to report a loss of 1 lb. Credit moi. 4 more to get to my second 5... I am at 6lbs for 3 weeks. This is good stuff. I will stay with this carb cycling WOE.

Today is getting the chores done day. Get to Canadian Tire and replace that cordless screwdriver. Get to IKEA and buy a cheap, basic ceiling fixture... maybe will look for that at Canadian Tire too... a few groceries for the week= make my foodplan for the week and another day of decluttering and general getting my house in order. Painting this small space has really done what I had hoped for me. I cannot "forget" that cleaning up is a priority now. The blue room speaks to me of what I can accomplish. Proof I can do this when I feel I can't and should concede defeat. I am so glad I pushed forward on that...and guess what? I came into the exact piece of furniture I wanted to buy at IKEA: a sideboard. Long and narrow I wanted something other than shelves running along the wall perpendicular to the scribbled wall. My friends told me they went to a garage sale down their street and impulsively bought a sideboard type table, black with six deep drawers but it was too big and too dark for their house and now they were "stuck with it" um.... NOPE! I told them it was exactly what I was looking for and I'd take it off their hands. $20. So, now it's here, and it fits that space perfectly and I have 6 new drawers to put my work/school stuff into. Incredible. One drawer won't fit right (it closes over top of the others) but it still works, it's a drawer, only one of the six and it was $20! I LOVE it. Funny how the universe unexpectedly answers some things eh? I took it as a pat on the back "This decluttering/reorganizing thing you're doing? You're on the right track...here's a cookie." Here's to the universe and to sticking things through until we see results! Credit moi et vous... for persevering in all things.

I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone's been doing. We've all been so busy getting ready for this day...

freer 15lbs done 5 at a time! Awesome! I salute you as well! Looking forward to hearing how the week went for you.

QuilterInVA I hope you do get to the art show. As a quilter, you need to fill the well.. the creative well. This is seeing things, talking about things and making things. It makes us happy! Is there a website for the show, or the artists in your area? I love imagining what it would be like to live and work in other places. And I wish we wouldn't get any snow either but it's more like I hope we don't get as much snow as last year. We missed the all time record last year by 34cm... just shy of 6 ". If I keep losing weight I may fit into the fantastic winter coat I got for my birthday 2 years ago. It is so warm! And would be great to wear if the winter is especially cold.

As for the question: I am going with the 6 mini meals to keep the blood sugar even and the appetite in check.

Billblueeyes I've attached a stunning picture of an Easter Egg Bird, such as might have laid the eggs I am about to try after this email is sent. I have copied the link to wikipedia on this. Good reading for work avoidance today! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana
And I'd love to have the Wayne Enterprises Wagon wrapped (you know they'd make a fortune with this as a "diet aid" eh? Wow. I sense an art project possbility here.) Anyway I'd wrap it with Beck slogans and encouragement to "Come on down, step right up" &etc. Maybe a trick mirror that slims you? I couldn'ts imagine eating the emu egg either. I remember I once saw a chef do it on tv and they scrambled the egg and there was ALOT of scrambled egg on that plate. Can't remember what they did after that unfortunately. All these eggs are from birds these market vendors have on their farm. They have a wild animal park and then you can, pretty much, taste the animals you've seen! Wild boar, pheasant, duck, bison, this is them http://www.bearbrookfarm.com/deli.html Oh! They serve up more animals than I thought! Never sure how I feel about that. To each their own.

I am off. Have a great OP day gang.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg realbird.jpg (16.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #8  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default tuesday reality check

Coaches,

Back on the board and hopefully back OP. Will be climbing back on the wagon today...yup, that is the spine-tingling sound of my fingernails scratching, trying to get on onebyone's new wagon...oops, it is only built for two and it is full. OK...we are just going to have design a really big model for all of us. LOL. Seems that getting back on the wagon is a common theme around here. I guess as long as more of us are on the wagon than off, we are OK...or at least as long as we keep a driver on the wagon (BBE?) so the rest can keep climbing on board after falling off!

My offplan weekend had many reasons that would take lots of 'splaining to fully understand. One was end of summer sadness, felt like last chance to have long evening in front of lake side fire under the stars with nice wine and DH (yep, extra alcohol that day). Great times though. Also had a scale dip on Saturday which led me to rest on laurels a bit (forgot "Persist, Especially in Victory"). Another one was my birthday yesterday (but no, I did not have cake or sweets because I had already treated myself to icecream day prior).

All food except one was healthy (OK, I had a choclate chip cookie/ice cream sandwich that I simply "just deserved based on my success" but then cringed when I read the 500 cals on the wrapper after eating).... what happened to planning ahead of time?

Even though off plan, I was not offplan for whole days (just that each day had some slips). Calorie totals were either at maintenance levels or slightly below, so not a ridiciulously bad weekend... just not gonna lose like that. At any rate, I think I will take credit for not doing worse than what I did (OK, is that a stretch?). I did exert some control and turned down many things. I also proved to myself that I can indulge a little without going crazy...ie "Oooh, that ice cream was so good and its been a looong time since I had that, and the scale was down today, lets just get another". And the next Sabotage, "Well, we've blown the diet, so it doesnt matter what we have now". Old me would have strung those thoughts together and had a full blown weight gaining weekend. So, Credit Moi for staying level.

Water exercise two days this weekend, so OP with that. Also painted the 30 year old patio chairs, a job that I have been promising for more than 2 years. Big credit for that!

Exercise will be a challenge this week as big pool at the Y closed for cleaning. Will have to problem solve that one.

Facing the reality of back to planning and sticking with it...need that ARC reading twice a day again. Reminder that I am choosing to do this because it is what I want! No self-pity or unfairness in that.

Great Tuesday everyone!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #9  

Default New, intro and way to go everyone!

Hallo!

I'm new and I'm on Day 6 of the Beck Diet Solution, so of course I hopped online in search of some way I might manage to get a diet coach. That's how I found this site and this forum.

I've tried most of the "sensible" diets out there, and a few less than sensible ones, through the years. I have a pretty good grasp of nutrition and what's good for me--and what isn't (plus, I have several versions of the Weight Watchers materials from past attempts--one with just points, the other after they introduced the core plan).

The problem isn't lack of knowledge--it's lack of inclination. When I'm hungry, and have the choice between a big bowl of pasta or a big bowl of salad with grilled chicken and dressing on the side, I've tended to choose the pasta, even though I know full well the salad would be the healthy choice. Or a croissant versus a low-fat yoghurt and half a bagel. Etc.

So I knew that what had to change was my outlook--and this book seemed to outline the very change I was looking for. So far, so good. I'm really liking it and the different methods are working for me. Each new task has its challenges, but the results and the changes are great so far--and I haven't even officially started the diet yet!

Possibly, the one that seemed the hardest was the diet coach idea, so far, because I'm a little shy about such things. But I knew I'd probably need the support, just as she says, after the initial excitement wears off and I hit a rough patch (or several). And it's nice to be able to give support whenever possible as well! This forum looks great!

I'm so delighted to see all the encouragement and accomplishments of everyone else here! It's just great! It's also nice to see all of you who are also on the program!

I'm often a bit shy on forums (haven't been on many, for that matter), but I thought I'd at least step forward and introduce myself a little!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #10  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default 6 versus 3 meals

Forgot to respond to Quilter's challenge:

For overall weight loss, in theory, it does not matter whether you eat 3 or 6 times in a day. The calories are the calories, same amount of energy intake no matter how divided.

However, for control of appetite, some people do better (that is lower their caloric intake) if they eat more often. But, there is nothing magical about 6 times, it could be 4 or 5 depending on the person. Also, for some people eating more often provides more opportunity to overeat. So, each person has to find their optimum method of appetite control.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #11  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Hey all.

I needed some time to think things over. I am back on beck and am looking at how much I have to do to get myself in check. Gonna take it one day at a time. I have picked my diets and have a diet coach so that is good.

I am back to working..am a school bus driver (no stress there) and we started back today. Am kinda glad to be back to work. I love working with kids and I did hear that last year this was the route from >>>>. Not with me..I will tell them that I have rules to follow and so do you. If they ask what rules..I will tell them the road rules and district rules. So far this am was good...we will see.

Have not been doing good at all and needed to rethink myself into getting things done for me. I will be taking the book with me to work and when I have time looking through it again.

I have you all as diet coaches and have picked the diets and have my list. I am gonna redo my list as I remember somewhere that someone did a list using a small notebook and used scrapbooking to enhance it. If I did learn it here...sorry that I don't remember who it was.

I also am gonna cut back on where I am on the internet...I have too many places that I am trying to keep track of...this is one I will keep for sure. Thanks for listening.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #12  
persist

Khria Nice to see a new face here! Happy you took the chance to post...we are all very friendly and very supportive.

And back angelmomma210! As always we are here for you... you can do it. Nice to see you again. If you look back over some posts you'll see we've all had our ups and downs... just get back on that wagon with us.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I read the book and was so excited to find something that helped with the mental aspect of dieting and why it doesn't take so well.

I'm on day 8-well, I still have some problems with a few of the other days like sitting while eating and eating slow. I do well for a day or two then slowly go back to what I was doing before.

I wish there was an entire forum set up for this, it would be easier then wading through several months worth of posts-but I understand space issues.

Sarah in MD
Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #14  

Good evening!

I'm on Day 2 and this time I am changing my diets. My primary diet will be counting calories using The Daily Plate to log my food and my secondary will be WW Core Plan.

I did a chair aerobics tape today - good upper body workout for anyone with leg problems. I've stayed on my food plan as well and drank 9 cups of water so credit moi for a good day.

Shrinkin, congrats to you for not having cake and ice cream on your birthday. Didn't it make you feel good!

Khria - welcome to the group. They are a great bunch and loads of help.

Sarahyu, it takes 3 weeks minimum to establish a new habit so it will get easier to only eat when you are sitting down and eating slowly. Just keep trying!

Angelmomma210 - glad to have you back. I'm going through the program again to further cement the principles. It really helps to take notes and review them often.

BBE, I find most of the Lean Cuisine's to be good. I also enjoy the South Beach diet line (they are bigger and more protein).

The question for yesterday was "It's better to eat six mini meals than three squared." If you said wrong, you are right.

As long as your food choices for the entire day are healthy and not too high in calories, either eating style can work. I find that many people prefer to eat more volume less frequently because of hectic schedules or heartier appetites. If that sounds like you, just be sure to keep your daily calories in check, and try not to go longer than four to five hours without eating. Doing so may make your blood sugar drop, causing low energy, headaches, and overeating in response to feeling blah. Have small snacks on hand--such as fruit, nonfat yogurt, or a bag of baby carrots--in case you're running late for lunch or dinner."

The question for tomorrow is "Margarine is better than butter." What do you think?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #15  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Just a quick hello! Its getting late, but we made it to Indy!!

I also just wanted to share something that hit me really hard today. Different Mirrors have given me the huge wake-up call I needed. Wow!!

Another thing happened the other day...lots of personal stress issues were caving in. I purposely stayed away from the scale because I didnt want to know what it said. Therefore, not letting me feel guilty about any weight I may have gained over the last few days.

The scale is now in a room and in my direct line of sight every time I go up the stairs! Problem fixed!

Man o man.....I need to eat more salads!

I will be posting about my adventures and photos this week on my business blog. If you are interested pm me and I'll give you the link. I can't advertise it here (house rules.......which are good ones btw!)

Im off to bed. I'll try to check in tomorrow with how I did.

Night night.
Closed Thread