Old 09-02-2008, 06:09 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Smile This Week's Healthiest Food - TOMATOES

Food of the Week . . . Tomatoes
Did you know that tomatoes are one of the best sources of a health-promoting carotenoid phytonutrient known as lycopene? Lycopene is the natural pigment found in tomatoes that gives them their characteristic deep red color. Lycopene has been one of the hottest topics of phytonutrient research in the past five years. Its powerful antioxidant protection has been credited not only for its ability to help reduce the risk of prostate, breast, endometrial and breast cancer, but also hardening of arteries--one of the primary causes of heart disease! Add a few tomatoes to your salad or select a marinara sauce for your pasta, and don't forget the extra virgin olive oil. The latest research shows that the fat-soluble carotenoids found in foods (alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, lutein /zeaxanthin, lycopene and others) are best absorbed when consumed with a little fat or oil

http://whfoods.org/

Before my "lifestyle" change, I never ate tomatoes. Really. Never. Hated them. Loved tomato sauce and tomato soup, but never the actual tomato itself. I didn't like the seeds, the consistiency, the whole thing really. But when I made the switch to a healthier lifestyle, I figured it was time to give them a chance again, given their incredible health benefits and low calorie count. I figured my best shot at liking them was to remove the seeds and dice them very fine in a salad. And I liked it like that!!! Then I tried slicing them and broiling them. Delicious! Who knew? Now I use them lots and lots in all kinds of salads. Oh, and I discovered the grape tomato. So good. I can eat an entire little carton of those puppies for a mere 90 calories of pure deliciousness, satisfaction and good health.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-02-2008 at 07:02 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a love affair with tomatoes.

Many many years ago, I didn't eat many veggies. I loved fruit and I liked veggies but just didn't eat them. I started slowly and grape tomatoes were the start. They were a lifesaver when I seriously started trying to lose weight as they were easy to snack on. I eat tomatoes by themselves, I eat them on salads, I eat diced ones mixed with beans, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/190/150

I LOVE tomatoes. When my grandmother gardened a lot you could usually find me sitting in the dirt eating either strawberries or cherry tomatoes right off the plant. I just find them tasty. As with everyone else, they go in salads, for a snack, cooked as a sauce, on a pita sandwich, in a wrap, in my eggs for breakfast...

Now I want some and I only have enough for lunch's salad.
Stephanie Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I love them too but only the ones from my garden. Luckily I have loads of them this year - some to share, lots to eat, some for salsa and some to dry for winter snacking. Every year I say I'm planting just a few plants and end up with way more than that. I have over 30 this year plus the ones that self seeded from last year. I wish I could share with you chicks!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I bought a bunch of green tomatoes at the farmer's market on Sunday. I'm way too excited about trying to figure out what to do with them. I'm thinking grilled veggie salad. Mmmm! I also love love love grape tomatoes. So tasty on their own.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #6  
No description available.

Ah, Ruth, I wish you could share with us too!

I love tomatoes, sliced, diced, raw, cooked, with stuff, by themselves. We have 5 plants that have produced well this summer. I have some little yellow pear tomatoes that I eat straight off the plant.

PS Love the wedding avatar, Jen!! Congrats!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #7  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Before my "lifestyle" change, I never ate tomatoes. Really. Never. Hated them. Loved tomato sauce and tomato soup, but never the actual tomato itself. I didn't like the seeds, the consistiency, the whole thing really.
I was/am the exact same way. I still can't eat whole cherry tomatoes, or a slicer like an apple the way my kids do, but every now and then I can slip them on/in something. Raw tomatoes still just bug me :/
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I love tomatoes, if they come from a garden or a local farmer. Supermarket tomatoes are nasty. Which means, I only eat them fresh in the summer.

I especially love a good heirloom variety. All they need is a little salt.

Last edited by zenor77; 09-02-2008 at 04:14 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
I love them too but only the ones from my garden.
Ditto.

I grow tomatoes every year (the pinks are my favorite) and I've eaten so many tomatoes this season, I'll probably turn into one soon
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 8"

Yay tomatoes!

Good thing it's almost lunch time, you guys got me thinking about that diced up tomato in there and it's making my mouth water

I used to occasionally eat a tomato here and there but always thought they were sort of bland so I salted be bejeepers out of them. Since "cleaning up" my eating, I've stopped adding the salt and, lo and behold, noticed they have quite the yummy flavor - even a little salty tasting on their own. (I looked for a dancing tomato but didn't see one )

Last edited by yoyonomoreinvegas; 09-03-2008 at 02:42 PM.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #11  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I discovered oven roasted tomatoes recently. Oh. my.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Oh yes! Nigella Lawson refers to them as Moon Blushed tomatoes since her recipe for them is to put in a really hot oven, then turn off the oven and leave them overnight. Yum!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
(I looked for a dancing tomato but didn't see one )
The weeble and they wobble ...
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/190/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
I love tomatos. I haven't ever had them roasted. They sound yummy.
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:20 AM   #15  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

This morning I ate them on an allowed bagel with Laughing Cow. I think I could live on them
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote