Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default Where do you run?

I am thinking about starting the c25K program next week and I was just wondering for you runners out there- where do you run? I have heard that concrete is not good to run on, and thats about all I know
jyvonne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8

Lately I've been running more in the gym because the weather hasn't been comfortable. But usually I like to find walking/running paths and trails. I like them because they're outside, away from the streets, and being around trees and nothing else makes running more enjoyable.
tater tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:40 PM   #3  
No description available.

I run all sorts of places....on concrete, asphalt, packed dirt, soft dirt, grass, flat areas, hilly areas, the high school track.

I like running on packed dirt trails the best and I try to stick to those for my longer runs. If I can only squeeze in a 3 or 4 miler, Im fine with whatever.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I haven't attempted running for a while but I live near a soccer field and I had tried running on that but again that might be considered boring. I also tried running around a lake near me as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Most of my runs are on sidewalks and paved walking paths. Some days (like today!) I'll go for a run in the ravine near our home and so the majority of my run is on dirt trails.

My running buddy loves running on grass and will make a point to run on the grass beside the sidewalk if she can since she finds it keeps her knees from hurting so much. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with running on the grass. I love that there's less of an impact but I hate the extra effort it takes to keep my forward momentum, especially if I'm struggling to keep up in a group run!
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #6  
=D

My physiotherapist told me asphalt is far more preferable to run on than concrete - considering the massive weight being put through your knees on impact.
Though, I guess it doesn't take a genious to figure that out lol.

I like running around my local sporting oval, because its got a gradual incline that gets your heart rate up, and then a good recovery follows.

The place has a great vibe.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Bleh, I haven't found a great place yet. My problem is that at 5:25 in the morning, I just want to roll out my front door and start. I so do NOT want to have to get into my car and go somewhere. But the sidewalks are clearly not going to work very long. Bleh.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-01-2008 at 11:44 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #8  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

I run at my local football oval, which has a running track in the grass around it. It's a nice 10 min walk from my home (so I'm walking not running on hard surfaces) and it's measured, so I know how far I've walked/jogged (not quite up to running at this stage!)

I used to get really bad shin splints, and did 3 weeks of the C25K before I got sick with absolutely no leg pain whatsoever, apart from muscular soreness, so I think that's what's working for me.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I tend to run for the most part on footpaths which hasn't unduly affected my knees *touchwood*. I do a little bit of "off road" running i.e. on grass or walking trails in the bush but their aren't as many and it can take awhile to get there. I am the kind of person who loves to just run out of the house with the ipod and not have to drive to my destination.

...except to the gym of course lol. We're only coming out of winter now and its just become nice enough to run outside. Before that I've been running on the treadmill but I tend to find that a little boring and not as challenging.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:15 AM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I do most of my running on the TM. I have an overuse injury in my right knee that I just cannot seem to completely get rid of and TM is much more forgiving than ground. Also, I can set the TM at a slight incline, which the sports medicine doctor that I saw for my knee recommended. Finally, I do a lot of HIIT; it's much easier to push myself and track my progress for that on the TM.

When I'm able to however, I do like to run 6 miles outdoors once a week. I run on a dirt path that runs between a river and a lake. It's very scenic, lots of birds and trees, Mission Peak in the background. I have another route that is about 5 miles that runs through a state park and along the SF bay. It's also very scenic--on a good day I can see clear across the bay. That route is a little hilly through (and while uphill is good for my knee, when I'm outdoors what goes up must come down and downhill is very bad for my knee), so I prefer the other route.

I used to run from my house to the trail (I had a perfect 6 mile route all worked out from my front door). But with my knee injury, running on pavement or even asphalt is completely out of the question, so I can't do that route anymore. Now I get in my car and drive to the trail. Luckily it's not very far (especially since I've been known to lock my keys in the car and have to walk home ).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #11  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

During the week, I run on the treadmill. For my weekend runs, it's a combination of pavement/sidewalk and asphalt, depending on my route. Concrete is a harder surface, but as long as I have good cushioning in my shoes, I haven't had any issues with running on it -- except when I was marathon training and doing very high mileage. But that probably had more to do with the mileage than the surface I was running on.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote