Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #1  
Fifty by Fifty!

S/C/G: 270.5/232.0/170

Height: 5'8

Unhappy S.A.D.-Seasonal Affective Disorder

I would like to share experiences, advice, etc. with others who live in the northern hemisphere and thus are afflicted with SAD.

I hate, loathe, abhor, detest Winter. I want to go to bed in November and wake up in April, but that really isn't an option now is it!

What tricks, activities etc have others found to help them survive autumn/winter. I am sure fall is a great time..but to me it just means WINTER is coming.

I struggle to even think straight, let alone work in the dark depths of winter...and I am sure I am not alone.

Maybe we can cheer each other on for the six abysmal months..less or more if you live north of me or south of me.
I JUST WANT TO GO TO SLEEP AND NOT BE BOTHERED
mollymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:32 PM   #2  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I love fall but hate winter. Fortunately, I don't think I get SAD as bad as some others, but it's still no fun. An old roommate of mine used to get it and he said he felt better after he started using a sun lamp. At the time, I didn't make the time to actually sit still under one.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #3  
Hatchling

S/C/G: 160/146/122

Height: 5'2"

I have a light box and I love it. I put in on for 30mns- 1hour when I'm reading or ironing etc. I suffer from SAD and if I don't use the lightbox throughout the winter I'm usually depressed in February.

Mine wasn't expensive and I can feel it working....It has to be over 1000 lux to be effective.

Sunbeds also help, as there is a sensor on the back of the neck that stimulates the feelgood chemicals when hit by sunshine. I have these occasionally but I feel guilty as I know they are not good for you.

Lou
x louise x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #4  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I'm like this, but in reverse. I hate summer, something about winter just makes me feel more hopeful. I've no idea what it is.

I'm sorry you find it so difficult, but I feel like that in the warm months
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

My husband was first diagnosed with SAD now its been changed to bipolar disorder but it cycles with the season.He is hyper and manicky all summer and depressed all winter..if we are lucky oct nov are ok months and dec starts getting bad and by april he is feeling good then by may or june - oct he is bad manicky. Its like they just cant level him out.
The dr has talked to us about a light box for the depression.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Here's some info on SAD Lights, I know many people who LOVE them...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...73&postcount=7

Taken from here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...473#post475473

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #7  
Fifty by Fifty!

S/C/G: 270.5/232.0/170

Height: 5'8

Default Dawn Alarm?

In the summer when I am not tied to work schedules, I get to waken with the sun. I have huge east facing windows with just lace curtains in my bedroom. I have read that there are "dawn alarm clock" that begin to brighten the bedroom gradually so you get the same senstion of waking "with the sun" not to the dark, dismal realities of 6:30 AM in December.

Has anyone used one of these? How did you find them...did they help? Where can I order one.

In my next life I wanna be a bear..go to bed in November with sign on butt that says "Disturb me before April at your own risk"~ LOL
mollymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #8  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I *LOVE* winter, bc I love the cold weather -- there's nothing better than a crisp, dry winter day with the sun out in force. Mmmm....

I experience some symptoms of SAD in November -- my workload increases and I'm basically indoors, in a windowless office from sun up to sun down all day 6 days a week. I get zero sunlight (and I'm not a big fan of the sun, so if I'm missing it, you know I'm getting ZERO). The only thing that helps me stay somewhat sane is to go outside regardless of how cold it is. I mean, I LIKE the cold so this might be easier for me than for you, but I still take walks, leave the office and walk around for 10 - 15 mins., etc. even if it's 20 degrees outside. Even walking from one place to another is better than just being inside ALL THE TIME. I also keep my windows somewhat open, even if it's cold. I find fresh air is SO important and that the air during the winter seems so fresh and clean, I love letting it in my house a bit.

Last edited by KLK; 09-01-2008 at 01:27 PM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #9  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I know precisely what you mean! I can't explain it either.

I used to *HATE* the summer (except the part ab vacation) but I'm gradually coming to like it too. Right now, I only really dislike Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
I'm like this, but in reverse. I hate summer, something about winter just makes me feel more hopeful. I've no idea what it is.

KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymom View Post
In the summer when I am not tied to work schedules, I get to waken with the sun. I have huge east facing windows with just lace curtains in my bedroom. I have read that there are "dawn alarm clock" that begin to brighten the bedroom gradually so you get the same senstion of waking "with the sun" not to the dark, dismal realities of 6:30 AM in December.

Has anyone used one of these? How did you find them...did they help? Where can I order one.

In my next life I wanna be a bear..go to bed in November with sign on butt that says "Disturb me before April at your own risk"~ LOL
I LOVE my sadelite. I've had it about 13-14 years and have yet to change the original bulb!! They last and last!! I start using it in Oct and do til March. I cannot believe the difference it makes for me. Even my husband has started using it.

In Canada (I see you are in Ontario.. I'm in Manitoba) you can read more about them and order them from http://www.northernlighttechnologies.com I have the one called "Sadelite". I'm thinking very hard about a travel one as I am on the road with my job so much.
JudoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #11  

I have the floor lamp model. It's truly the best investment I ever made. And I can also see better to quilt as I get my treatment so I use it a lot.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I hadn't heard of SAD before now but I have suspected for some time that my partner suffered from depression brought on by seasonal change.

He becomes terrible depressed through the winter months. I can see/feel it building like this big black cloud through late April, May and by June it's full blown - he'll literally curl up in bed and turn his face to the wall for days if I let him when he's really bad.

Oh...I'm in Australia so the seasons are reversed (obviously lol)

Perhaps I should look into this light thing and suggest it to him. Anything to help! Thankfully Spring is now well and truly on the way and he's on the up. Yay~!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #13  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

Default Consistent Routine

I also use a 'sun' light--10,000 lux for about 30 minutes in the morning as part of a regular routine in the fall & winter.

I have a consistent sleep schedule. I get up about 6am during the weekdays & 7am on weekends. I try to go to bed at a regular time but it is not as consistent as my wake up time. I think that getting up at the same time every day has helped me immensely with my depression (year round, too). Before that, every day was a struggle to get out of bed.

I do still take naps on my days off from work. Some people suggest no naps for good sleep hygiene. I have no problem sleeping at night even if I take a nap.

Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #14  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post

Same here! I HATE summer. Always have. Too hot, I hate being hot unless I'm paying for it!(tropical vacations). Canadian summers are absolutley brutal. Horribly humid. I LOVE fall... I also like winter. But Fall is my favourite time of year.

Mollymom, hope you are ok.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #15  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Hi mollymom, I also have SAD. I usually do ok until January... Jan-beginning of April seem to be the hardest and most depressing for me. I live in a very cold, bitter state (colorado) with lots of snow, and since I live close to the foot of the mountains, it gets dark WAY early here. Seems like I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I hate not being able to be outside and enjoying the sun and warm weather. Plus with the end of the holidays, January just always seems so bleak and all I focus on is how I'm getting older.. lol!

So this year I decided not to let it take me down. My #1 plan is to exercise almost daily, because it IS a mood lifter. I decided, if anything else, I need to exercise for my mental sanity!

I have to stay busy. If I just go home from work and sit in front of the TV or computer until bedtime, I get bored and being bored means starting to feel depressed. So, I'm going to learn how to quilt this winter. Gives me something to focus on and work towards.

I actually moved my cubicle at work to a window spot so that I could at least have sun during the day. I know it's not possible for everyone, but it definitely helps if you can do it!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote