Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Question questions about rest days

Hi all,

I started my weightloss journey in earnest on August 1. I've exercised moderately, 26 out of 31 days. Currently, I'm mixing 3 days per week of weight training, 3 days per week of C25k, and I do additional cardio on as many of those days as possible.

The thing is... I'm a teacher and I started back to school this week. Somehow, I was still able to exercise five days this week. However, I'm feeling really stressed and just "tired" in general.

I knew that when school started, that I would need to be practical about exercise in order not to give up altogether. I love my job, but it is VERY stressful!

So this weekend, I decided to give myself two rest days. The thing is, I feel totally guilty. I almost feel like I've blown my whole plan. Factually, I know this isn't true. But, I seem to be really 'hung up' on this.

Do any of you struggle with guilt over rest days? I'm trying so hard to think long term and not short term. For instance, I know that I need to rest properly now, so that I don't totally give up on exercise in the future. I know I need to rest now, so that my body recovers sufficiently enough to workout hard next time.

It sounds so trivial, but I spent all of yesterday kicking myself and have continued today.

I have considered taking only one rest day. But, I honestly believe that taking two rest days per week is going to keep me working out in the long run.

Anyone have any experience or advice? I'd truly appreciate it!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I take two rest days a week, no guilt. It makes me push a little harder on the days I do work out, I earn those rest days. For weight training - if you work a muscle on Monday you should be resting it until Thursday. (Which is why people split their workouts - I do front day and back day. Front day is shoulders, chest, quads and triceps, back day is biceps, glutes, back, and hamstrings) Cardio can be done every day - but I think you risk overtraining if you do.

Your point about being able to sustain the plan is key. Burning yourself out does you no good. Take your rest days!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #3  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Take the two days! It's good to rest, lets your body recover. I find that if I don't take days off I just start feeling run down, I'll take a day off and bam! I'm right back feeling better than ever! I usually don't take my days off together, I'll take say Tuesday and then Thursday.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #4  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I've actually had more consistent weight loss since I lowered the amount of exercise I've been doing. Yes, lowered. There's a point where the hour or hour and a half of exercise can take too much out of you. This means you do less moving around for the rest of your day. So you may burn more during your exercise period, but potentially less for the rest of the time.

So, yes, take your two days. I used to have them together, but I've found it's more effective to split them up. So at the moment I take Tues and Sat off, although like you, it will change in a week when I'm in school. (mature student going back, not teacher)
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Rest days are very VERY important this is when the muscles heal and build. Take the days off and enjoy them ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Thanks to each of you for responding....

RealCdn.. I was a mature student also... best wishes to you....
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote