Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #1  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Default Lactose Free Yogurt

The only one I have been able to find at my regular supermarket is the Silk soy yogurt, and it is not light or fat free. Also they only have two flavors (vanilla and blueberry) I'm going to try my first one today. They are close to $1 each (kind of expensive I thought). Has anyone found any other brands?

From the newly-lactose-intolerant Weight Watcher.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #2  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Height: 5'5"

Hi Modkittn,

I've carried Ricera www.ricerafoods.com in the store I manage. It runs on the expensive side but I think it tastes better than the soy brands. It's only 1g fat, but 190 cals with high carbs and sugar. (They don't have an unflavored one. I assume most the sugar comes from the fruit and/or cane sugar).

If you can't find it, maybe ask at your local store if they can carry it. I'll almost always bring something in for a customer request. It's where I "find" most of my new product!... But remember, if they are able to bring it in, you have to buy it too, or back out it will go
iwmonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Typically, people who are lactose intolerant can eat yogurt - did the yogurt give you particular problems, or are you just cutting out everything with lactose even if it hasn't given you problems in the past? Yogurt contains bacteria that help digest lactose, and I have had several lactose intolerant friends that were able to eat regular (not frozen) yogurt just fine. So maybe after cutting out all dairy for a few weeks, you can try adding back in regular yogurt and seeing if you can eat it with no problems?

Quote:
Recent research shows that yogurt with active cultures may be a good source of calcium for many people with lactose intolerance. Even though yogurt is fairly high in lactose, the bacterial cultures used to make it produce some of the lactase enzyme required for proper digestion.
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddise...seintolerance/

I've never been able to tolerate the soy yogurts myself - maybe it's an aftertaste issue.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
So maybe after cutting out all dairy for a few weeks, you can try adding back in regular yogurt and seeing if you can eat it with no problems?
Well I cut out everything about 3 weeks ago, and I feel a lot better. I'd be wary about adding anything back in at this point, considering the difference in how I feel! The Silk was OK, but it still wasn't the same I like making smoothies, etc and I used to buy the big tubs of yogurt. I used to eat a lot of it so I really miss it. Hmm... maybe I will have to try the regular stuff (slowly) and see if it bothers me.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The vast majority of those with lactose intolerance will be OK with yogurt. Hey, if you add it back in and feel crummy for a day or so, you can always cut it out again and be back to good in no time. But if you DON'T feel bad, it means you don't have to give up a food it sounds like you really enjoy!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 194/190/150

Height: 5'6"

I can eat yogurt, frozen or otherwise, and hard cheeses with little to no problem. I see a difference in how I feel since I cut out almost all other dairy...even cream cheese and sour cream, which I love. I would try it to see how you do. It's different for everyone.
Stephanie Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:19 AM   #7  

I'm allergic to milk. I break out into hives and swell up---the whole nine yards. I can't give up real yogurt though...and surprisingly it doesn't bother me TOO much. I get a really bad upset stomach from it still, but it doesn't affect me as bad as other dairy products. I've tried silk yogurt, i've tried about 4 other soy yogurts---i hate them. They'd be ok in a smoothie, but they definitely don't do it for me when I want some fruity yogurt.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

If you have trader joe's, I believe they have some soy yogurts as well. I've also heard there is coconut milk yogurt which is supposed to be awesome.

One thing I've done for years in terms of yogurt to save money is to make my own yogurt cups. You can easily find tupperwares that are 1 cup sized. Add in plain yogurt of your choice (I buy large containers of nondairy plain yogurt) and then add berries. If you want, you could add a sweetener or even some flavor syrups. I've seen both Silk and Wildwood yogurt sold in the larger containers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

The live cultures in yogurt actually "eat" the lactose in milk during the yogurt making process. There shouldn't be hardly any lactose in yogurt (if any.)

Hard cheese shouldn't have lactose either. During cheese making the lactose gets drained out with the whey, so they harder the cheese the less lactose.

Oh, and butter has zero lactose, since it's 100% fat.

Goat's milk products shouldn't be a problem either.

I'm lactose intolerant and I'm fine with yogurt and most cheese. Goat being my favorite.

Last edited by zenor77; 08-31-2008 at 01:08 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 194/190/150

Yep, goat cheese is really tasty. And real sheep's milk feta...oh boy. I haven't tried the milk yet, though, but I'm curious.

I had a recipe for this really tasty goat cheese spread for crackers...but I put it somewhere and can't find it.
Stephanie Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #11  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I'm allergic to lactose, too. It take awhile for me to react, so I sometimes cheat, but it really tries out my skin and causes an itchy rash. I like Whole Soy. It comes in a lot of flavors, and I like to mix it with bran or flax and fresh fruit. It's about a dollar or a little less on sale, which is more than regular yogurt, but a cup is plenty to mix and have a decent breakfast. Their website has a tool where you can search for places to buy it by zip code.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #12  

i'm allergic to the whey though ... and unfortunately its in EVERYTHING. Most foods make me feel icky... apparently not icky enough to make me stop eating them tho...

I keep hoping to find a yummy soy yogurt, but no luck I hate the texture. it's like creamy and thin.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

mxgirl - I don't eat whey either and I've had pretty good success avoiding it. As for the texture of soy yogurt, have you ever tried straining it to make it thicker?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #14  
Highest Weight ever, 225

S/C/G: 225/185/160

I am lactose intolerant also and find that yogurt and cheese are fine, others have listed the reasons why quite clearly. I also do well with sour creme and can sometimes cheat and have cream cheese.

The intestines produce the enzymes responsible for digesting the lactose so often times after a few weeks/months off dairy you can be exposed to it just fine in small amounts because the enzymes build up in your system again. Cheat too much and you pay for it and start over again though!

If you do have problems with yogurt and cheese you may have a milk allergy and not lactose intolerance, so keep that in mind.
edzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 157/157/130

Height: 5'4"

I am newly lactose intolerant too. I am completely addicted to yogurt (I get mine fresh off a farm, it's spectacular - better than any ice cream). I have found that I am fine with 1/2 a cup but start feeling it a bit if I have a full cup (in one sitting). You might want to start by just adding a little bit back in and see how you do.....
allhaka is offline   Reply With Quote