Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up Health-Focused Friends #4

Hello!

Here's a group for any Weight Watcher members (or anyone thinking about joining) to check in, get support and encouragement while trying to become healthier, not just thinner. We want to focus on eating a wholesome diet, exercising more, having a positive outlook on life, and losing weight along the way. This is what Weight Watchers promotes anyway, but sometimes it's hard to stay focused. Together, we'll make it!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Hello all,

Trish - well, one more good reason to eat those salads, right? Goodness knows my joints need all the help they can get. The arthritis in my rt knee is so bothersome going up stairs.

Sassy - hiya! Are you thinking about doing WW? It's really a good program once a person is in the right frame of mind. I'm there right now, and pray it lasts!!! You know me - I can totally get sidetracked by a brownie, lol. Anyway, if you have questions about WW, or want to join us, please just post away.

Patty - YAY for you being a cancer survivor! That's great! As Jaime said, you really aren't supposed to worry with points while doing Core. That's why I could never do it - I'm not the best at knowing when to stop eating unless I measure everything. Lack of portion control is what got me to this size, lol. Core works really well for lots and lots of people, though. If you look at their threads, you can tell how well many of them are doing.

Jaime - pffft! I've got socks older than you, lol. Wow, your idea for a hike and a picnic for your birthday is very original. Ahhhh, it's always nice when the kitchen is put together in a new place. Sounds like your apartment is really coming along.

Ruthie - did you fall in???

I forgot to mention it yesterday, but I got to have DGS Jackson for several hours today. I picked him up at his daycare, and we went to the park, had lunch with my niece Carol, then went to Wally World. We both took a nap when we got back to my house, lol. He is the sweetest little boy, and reminds me of when his daddy was that age. (16 mos)

I overate at lunch, and will have to be very, very careful with my evening snack to not go over.

See ya later,

Last edited by Jane; 08-26-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Evening Ladies,

Late here getting here, but thought I would go ahead and say hi.

Patty - Congratulations! That is so great you being a cancer survivor. Glad you got your WW at work going to. I wanted to do Core too, but I find Flex better for me at this time. Good luck with your WW journey.

Jane - I agree and I love a good salad any way so it is nice to know it is good for the joints.

I really have had 3 good days OP only used one of my WAP. Eating the GL way sure helps because I don't get hungry and have no cravings.

Sassy - Hi glad you dropped in. How is your DH job situation going?

Marti, Ruth, Pat and everybody else I missed - we miss you. Hope you will back soon Marti and hope all of you are doing okay.

Catch y'all tomorrow sometime.

Trish
Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #4  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hi Jane No, haven't joined WW, I've just been doing the Calorie Counting thing, seems to be working for me. Glad WW is working for you.

Hi Patti DH did get approved for unemployment so he has a little more time to find a decent job. No job offers yet. Thanks for asking.

I hope you all have a Great Day.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #5  
We can do this

S/C/G: 223/ticker/120

Height: 5"3.5

Hi all, another flying visit!!! Im getting ready for another date lol i m gettin around these days, his time with an ex?? Although we only broke up due to th fact that we never got to see each other because we hadnt got the time!!
So fingers croassed for me ladies,
And my weigh in is tomorrow mornin, so whatever we do tonight i have to be extra extra careful.
As Im not going to the dinner dance now, My new mini goal is to have twenty pounds off for Halloween. My mam decided she is having a party.
Ok I have to find something to wear!

Hope your all keeping well
Jen x
Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #6  
Patty

S/C/G: 208/195.4/150

Height: 5'5"

Good morning ladies,

I've been thinking and I think that I'm going to combine South Beach with Core. With South Beach you could eat as much as you want of certain foods, but they have portion sizes and you need to wait 20 minutes after eating a portion before you eat more. I was going to use Flex portion sizes...

I need to start exercising again. I was doing so good and after school started I stopped exercising. My DDs have been in school for a week now so I should be able to get a new routine started.

Have a great day
Old 08-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #7  
GmaTo8

Just a fly by today. I've got so much to do, and not enough time to do it. Food is so-so, and I'm trying to behave!

Later!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #8  

Hi Ladies,

Patty - The nice thing about WW Core or Flex is that it will work with any way we choose to eat. I've spent time learning to tweak my way of eating on WW. I too like the Core ideas and I will eventually go to it with my GL eating. I have a vacation coming up in November and GL w/Core will be easy. However, in the meantime, I am using GL w/Flex until I get used to what I'm doing.

Jane - We have a busy day today as well. Tony wants to exchange a game we bought that does not work and I need to go to Walmart to get some more GL foods. I think I said I am using the GL dummies guide so since I like to snack, I ate some dried fruit and walnuts. I was so excited that I only went over 4 pts. I've only used 5 of my WAP. That is so exciting to me as I always went way over before. I eat oatmeal for breakfast every moring only change my fruit. Since GL a serving of oatmeal has become too much so I cut it in half this morning and it was still too much. I have already lost 3 lbs (recycled) so I should have a really good weight loss this week.

Jen - Hope things work out the way you want with the ex. My marriage to my late DH of 31 years was a guy I dated off and on from the time I was 14 yrs old until I was 18. He married someone else and I did too. Eight years later we got back together and married and although we had many tough times especially the last years of his life, I wouldn't have missed one moment with him. I think those 8 years apart made us appreciate each other more. Sounds like y'all had a good thing, but time was against you so who knows just maybe things will work out for the two of you the same as it did for us. Regardless, enjoy your journey to the "Mr. Right". I read a book once that said there are lot of people in our lives on our way to him in order to prepare us for him. Good luck.

Jaime - I'm sure your busy getting things settled in your new home. Having to work while you do that doesn't make it very easy.

Well, I haven't been exercising. I don't think I've mentioned it, but the girl in the doctor's office told me that he wouldn't want me exercising until I talk to him. I haven't read yet in the GL for Dummies about exercise yet, but the other book I have says 15 minutes a day, 21 minutes 5 days or 35 minutes 3 days a week. So I will probably do the 35 minutes 3 days each week when I get the okay from my doctor.

We have a lot of you MIA. I hope each of you are okay. I know we are really busy these day so try to check in when you can.

Everybody have a great day.

Trish
Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #9  
GmaTo8

Hi Ladies,

Sassy - how much have you lost so far? Seems I get more food with Flex than calorie counting, because fiber is figured in. Just what I need - more food, lol. Actually, the healthier the food, the more you get. If you're interested, you could go to one WW meeting to get the basic program books and points finder.

Jen - my DH Neal was an ex. We dated for a few months, then I broke up with him because I wasn't totally through with someone else. Four years later, when I had had it with the other guy, I looked up Neal, and we got back together. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Patty - finding what works is so important, I think. Since I've been doing the GL with Flex, I'm doing better. What kind of exercise routine are you going to do?

Trish - you are doing great with Flex and GL! My weigh in is tomorrow, and I'm hoping for a loss. I messed up yesterday which was due to some drama I didn't handle well, but got right back OP.

Today I'm going to do some bookwork, laundry and babysitting. How exciting, no? LOL

Any special plans for Labor Day?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #10  
GmaTo8

Almost forgot! Just in case Jaime is busy tomorrow, I wanted to say this today:

Happy Birthday, Jamie!

Any special plans?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #11  
a work in progress

Good morning I know some of you from an old thread we all used to post on, and some of you I've never met...so hope y'all don't mind if I jump in with both feet

I've been an on-again-off-again WW for years and years. I lose a lot (40-50 lbs, but as you can see from my ticker, I have a lot further to go than that), get to a plateau, get frustrated and quit, then gain back. Finally figured out -- WW works, but it's not a diet. It's a permanent change. Not what I wanted to hear. I wanted to get down to a healthy weight, then go back to eating whatever I want, as much as I want, and stuffing my face to celebrate, or if I'm depressed, or angry, or...whatever

Ah well, so here I am, started half-heartedly back to WW in May...have been going consistently since 7/29. I'm a big girl no matter how you look at it -- 5' 10" and even at my best "fighting weight" I'm not skinny -- I look pretty darn good at a size 12-14. And I have a long, long road ahead of me. Definitely could use the motivation, support, encouragement, and advice from other WW's along the way

I am:
drinking my water
writing everything down
tracking my points
trying to eat a LOT of veggies to fill in the spaces
trying to make better, healthier choices overall
trying to fit in bits of exercise wherever I can (walking the stairs on breaks at work, etc)

So...that's about it. Hi to old friends, hi to new friends I hope to meet
Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

Katie - to HFF You're right about the lifestyle change. Once I realized it was permanent it became way easier to just consistently make healthy choices. Of course I am not perfect but I am a lot more accepting of things now - I am okay maintaining for a week or two or even a month because I know I have a looong time ahead of me to get this straightened out. Sounds like you have a wonderful plan, I wish you the best of luck!

Jane - Thanks for the birthday wishes! You are so sweet. LOL @ having socks older than me - dear, I hate to tell ya but socks don't do much for you when they are more hole than fabric, which usually happens around the 6 month to one year mark

Trish - Talking to a dr is always a safe bet. I hope you get the go-ahead for exercise soon.

Patty - Seems SB and WW combination is pretty popular, I think that's why WW made Core. I have thought a few times about going on Core but always chicken out with the food restrictions

Jen - Hope you have fun on your date!!

Well, I am feeling about three thousands times better today than I have recently. We are still far from unpacked but all of the essentials are in order and we will be able to get pretty much everything else straightened out this weekend. The sore throat that has been plaguing me since we moved is on the outs finally, and I have gotten all of my stressful projects out to the editors at work. I can finally breathe! I don't think I'll see a loss tomorrow at my meeting but if I can maintain over a move I will be thrilled!

As for weekend/birthday plans... Unpacking is high on the list. Otherwise if the weather is nice like I said we may try to find a nice hike/picnic spot. It looks like we may also have some friends over to play Risk on Monday, which should be fun (though the idea of hosting people intimidates me, we've never hosted anything before). Pretty low-key stuff.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #13  

Good afternoon HFF,

Katie - to our group. Glad to have you here. I think I remember you. Were you with us on the Jaded Ladies group? I do understand how you feel. I finally settled on WW too. I came to the conclusion that losing steadily and keeping it off is the smart way to go. I have recently incorporated low Glycemic Load with my WW Flex Plan with the idea of learning how to do this in a more healthy way rather than just counting pts and eating whatever which wasn't working for me. I found myself hungry all the time and the weight didn't move. However, as I said I'm learning a more healthy approach and I'm no longer having cravings and I am begining to see the scales moving down. You have a good plan. Good luck on your journey.

Jaime - Sounds like you have a busy week end unpacking and all. Hope you get to have your hike/picnic. You'll do fine with your little get together. Hope you still are able to have a great birthday in the midst of it all.

Jane - Sorry about your bad dramatic day yesterday. Hope today will be better even with all the busy stuff your doing. You know what I like about the GL part of eating? Balancing the some of the off things. Since nothing is forbidden although we do have to still be wise, there are times we may eat something high GL we can eat the low GL to balance so we don't gain. It is a great addition to WW. Times I think oh I've blown it, I find I haven't because I'm still within my pts. I've been tempted to switch to Core or IE with Core guidelines, but I love doing this with Flex because I am learning that I can stay within the pts allowed with very little times of going into my weekly allowed pts. Just remember, be good and nice to yourself. Stress times are difficult times any way. Good Luck on your WI, mine is Sunday and for once I'm looking forward to it.

No plans for Labor Day for us.

Everybody have a great week end and Labor Day.

Trish

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-29-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #14  
Patty

S/C/G: 208/195.4/150

Height: 5'5"

Jane - I haven't given much thought as to what I'm going to do for exercise. Until this last week I was walking a lot and using my DVD's at home. Once my daughters started school I stopped doing both. The only thing I have been doing is journaling what I've been eating

Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone
Old 08-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #15  
a work in progress

Thanks for the welcomes, ladies Yeah, Trish, I was a JL... I attend Saturday morning WW meetings but will miss this week -- we are leaving early early in the morning to drive to the coast, spend the night in Fort Bragg/Mendocino. One of my favorite places -- and should be about 30 degrees cooler than it will be here in the valley It's about a 4 hour drive, but we just love it there...

I did ok this week, I think...I went over my daily points yesterday and today, but had plenty of my weekly extra point allowance to spare. We'll be doing a lot of hiking this weekend, so that's good -- and I've been taking the stairs at work, and on my breaks walking up three flights, across the building, then down three flights and around a path outside (our building is really neat, with a redwood grove in the middle and a walking path through it). Work was pretty stressful this week, and I'm glad I stayed on program.

You may have already discussed this, but I'd love to hear...what are some foods that keep you from going off the deep end/totally going off program? For me it's:
Diet Dr. Pepper
Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges (1 pt)
Babybel Mini Light Cheeses (1 pt)
Trader Joe's 12 Grain Mini Snack Crackers (high fiber, 1 pt for 11)
Jello SF Pudding Snacks -- especially Dark Chocolate and Dulce de Leche
Reddi Whip Fat Free Dairy Topping
Trader Joe's Light Cheddar Cheese Slices
Hillshire Farms Thin Sliced Deli Ham
Stacy's Naked Pita Chips (LOL, they are really good, but I have to weigh them to make sure I keep portions reasonable)

What works for you?

Last edited by Katiecat; 08-30-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Closed Thread