Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #1  

Default A strange thing that I noticed...

So, I noticed that I got some weird looks from girls at the gym today for being....sweaty. Now, I for one, am at the gym to work out and get sweaty. I'm not there to attract a potential mate, although it would be nice to meet someone. Perhaps this is because I'm working out at the University's gym, but still....I thought the whole point of going to the gym was to be sweaty. Am I wrong? lol

Another thing that kind of irritates me is when people put the incline on the treadmill up so high that they are virtually hanging on for dear life as they attempt to run/walk. Now, I go to school at the University of Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh/Oakland/Squirrel Hill has many,many,many steep hills that are just as steep, if not steeper. I don't understand why these people don't just run outside. I think it would be a little bit easier than trying to hang onto a treadmill and run.
MyWickedLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 259/259/175

Height: 5'11"

Dude!!! I SO agree with the incline thing!!!! I'll be doin' my little jog/walk routine and the girl next to me has her incline at like 5 babillion and she's hangin on the top!! It that point isn't it more of an upperbody workout??

Craziness....just craziness I tell ya.
dkneec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Another thing that kind of irritates me is when people put the incline on the treadmill up so high that they are virtually hanging on for dear life as they attempt to run/walk. Now, I go to school at the University of Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh/Oakland/Squirrel Hill has many,many,many steep hills that are just as steep, if not steeper. I don't understand why these people don't just run outside. I think it would be a little bit easier than trying to hang onto a treadmill and run.
Ok, seriously? This irritates you? How someone else uses the machine in the way it's meant to be used?

Honestly I'm not trying to be snippy or anything, but I have to say that I'm really bothered by the idea that someone might be judging me because I use an exercise machine in a way that is perfectly appropriate but they don't get.

How do you know that the person using the machine might not prefer to exercise inside for a variety of reasons. The biggest one I can think of is allergies, especially in spring/fall. Or not wanting to be out in the sun. Or wanting to avoid jogging on pavement. Or not wanting to be in the general public when they're working out. Or not wanting to have to deal with fumes from cars and other pollution. Or wanting to listen to music while they workout, but not wanting to wear a headset while running on the street.

I sometimes put the elliptical machine on it's highest setting at nearly max resistance to get that hill-climbing effect (it's great for the butt) but yeah, I have to hang on sometimes and really struggle to push the steps. I would hope that no one was looking at me and being "irritated" at how I choose to work my glutes.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 259/259/175

Height: 5'11"

yeah, good point Photo.

Maybe I'm just intimidated because if I was on an incline like that'd i KNOW i'd fall off.
dkneec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 259/247/150

Height: 5'6

what irritates me? i work in a call center. we can use our phone outside, in the break room and about 20 other places.

why do peeps have to come in the workout room to use their phone on speaker phone?

not while working out either. specifically and only to use the phone.

i cant use machines anywhere else, dude.

i used to suck it up. now? i turn the tv up and get right back on machine without saying a word.
mrs dorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #6  
Fifty by Fifty!

S/C/G: 270.5/232.0/170

Height: 5'8

Cool

Personally I take great satisfaction in getting sweaty and anyone who looks at me weirdly can kiss my sweaty butt.

Treadmill issue. I put "peaks" into my routine...3.4 mph 2.5 incline five minutes then mayb 3.8 6-7 incline two minutes..yep I have to hang on. But it is those peaks that get me sweaty. I then gradually work my way back down a minute a mile and an incline at a time..then five minutes then back up again. Otherwise I would be so bored I would never get on the hamster imitation machine in the first place.

What bugs me is when people have the speed so high they keep "slipping their shoes" ..hard to explain...and making a very very very annoying squeaking noise with every slip.

Also I am envious/hateful/in awe towards people who can do more than one minute on the elliptical...lol I can do 1.17 minutes then I die
mollymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:38 PM   #7  
FB

On the sweat thing- yeah, I sweat like a freaking pig. It never goes to fail that I am the sweatiest person there. I get looks, but I think it's acceptable - given my level of wetness. It really is a spectacle. I'd look at me too.

I recently started doing indoor cardio. I personally like machines maxed out for a key reason - I'm there to work as hard as possible. It's way different than outdoor exercise (which I do on a very regular basis) in that it's mind numbing bliss. I don't have to dodge traffic, chester molesters or dogs. I just zone out and work. I don't have to think. I just move and sweat.

Machines are also easier to manipulate for interval workouts I've found. On the street no one forces me to run at my hardest (unless a crackhead is on my heels), it's easy to forget to look at my Garmin thingy, I can stop a few seconds early. With a machine I can preset it and have all the info in my face.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #8  
FB

Oooh Mollymom- I'm the opposite! I think the treadmill is harder! I did 70 minutes on the elliptical today and was staring in awe the whole time at the crazy runners.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #9  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB View Post
On the sweat thing- yeah, I sweat like a freaking pig. It never goes to fail that I am the sweatiest person there. I get looks, but I think it's acceptable - given my level of wetness. It really is a spectacle. I'd look at me too.

I recently started doing indoor cardio. I personally like machines maxed out for a key reason - I'm there to work as hard as possible. It's way different than outdoor exercise (which I do on a very regular basis) in that it's mind numbing bliss. I don't have to dodge traffic, chester molesters or dogs. I just zone out and work. I don't have to think. I just move and sweat.

Machines are also easier to manipulate for interval workouts I've found. On the street no one forces me to run at my hardest (unless a crackhead is on my heels), it's easy to forget to look at my Garmin thingy, I can stop a few seconds early. With a machine I can preset it and have all the info in my face.
haha that made me laugh.. my university is located in a town where there are plenty of those haha (but to be fair, the crime rate is the lowest it's been and the town's got a rich history)

That is pretty odd, I work out at my university's gym as well and everyone is sweating! haha.. in fact, if I do get looks, it'll be from a few guys.. not in that way though probably more like "Jeez she's sweating!" - which I don't mind.. I sweat soo much and turn red in the gym!
As for the interval thing.. idk I've honestly never really looked around while on the treadmill like that, usually it's just whatever to me as in their doing their own thing and I'm doing mine - I always have my music on so I kinda get into this zone..

Oh I loove the elliptical, I can't wait to use it again.. I only have a treadmill at home but I'd much rather the elliptical, less knee impact but just as hard work..

Last edited by Starrynight; 08-28-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I wouldn't mind switching up and running on the treadmill .. but I can't. I bounce too much. And not just the boobs, but the fat and loose skin. It's actually painful. So if I'm going to do anything high intensity, it has to be on the elliptical. Maybe someday I'll be skinny enough to run on the treadmill!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I want to start off by saying, I love to sweat. I don't feel like I have worked out until I break a sweat. I actually would go so far as to say that I think my skin looks its most radiant after a run or a couple ball games. There, I said it. Sweaty guys, don't even get me started. So HOT!

Wickedlife, next time you are working out, there might be a guy with the same sweat fetish that I think I might have....you never know!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #12  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

I say sweat it out girl... dont even let them bother you. You should look at them crazy like 'what are you doing at a gym not working to your fullest'
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

I love to sweat! I used to hate it before I started trying to sweat on purpose. Now, it often keeps me going on the treadmill cuz it feels so great!

I don't mind people using the incline feature ... but I do mind when they don't put it back down when they're done! I always put the machine back down to it's no-incline position even if I've only put a little bit of incline on it. It's just common curtesy to put things back the way that you find 'em ya know?

Last edited by Lovely; 08-29-2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spellins'
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #14  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Wicked, how do you know the looks were for being sweaty? Did they say anything? Sounds like you might just be a little self conscious. Don't worry about what other people think. You're at the gym to get sweaty--that's the point! You're doing good things for your body. Don't let some one else ruin your workout.
Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #15  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I love being sweaty at the gym!

But one thing that DOES annoy me is when someone is just standing or sitting in a machine, cardio or weight machine, and they aren't exercising on it, just standing and talking on the cellphone. I understand they might have gotten an important call, and I'm not annoyed by public cellphone use generally, but: GET OFF THE *&#$% MACHINE SO SOMEONE ELSE CAN USE IT WHILE YOU CHAT!!!!!!!!!

So annoying!
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote