View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
Pink Geranium

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I did yoga when I was 213 and I do it now 85 pounds lighter. I am no better at it now than I was before. I really like the deliberate pace and the calm atmosphere, good for any size person, and in my classes at least I know I can't tell what others are doing because I'm focusing on myself (I have poor balance and very inflexible and many poses I have to adapt, anyway). The teachers have all been great in helping me and it's clear to me the rest of the classmates are all thinking about what they are doing during the class, and have no attention to spare for me (except when I fell over once and smacked the floor a bit, and then it was all about whether I had hurt myself). I find yoga students to be a very accepting group. I say try the classes at your gym and save the money. Only make a change if you do not feel the yoga is working for you, not who's in the class. Looks can be very deceiving as to who is going to be "good" at yoga, and anyway, I have found that the prevailing attitude in all classes I've taken is that we all do what our bodies are able to do. Yoga is very inner directed that way.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote