South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #1  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Question OT: Pedicure thingy for dogs?

Has anyone used the product advertised on TV for filing down a dog's nails? It has a rotating file inside instead of clippers. I think it might be called Peticure or Pawdicure or something along those lines.

My greyhound tore a nail completely off yesterday and bled all over the house. I had to bandage him 3 times until it finally stopped bleeding.

He HATES having his nails clipped and so we tend to let them get a bit longer than we should. I was wondering if this device might be a better choice for him.

I hate to buy something without hearing from real people whether it works or not.

Thanks,
Karla
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

ive never tried it, but i wonder the same thing. HmMm i wonder if they have a money back guarantee thingie
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #3  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

I have one. Its OK, not great not horrible. Its essentially a cordless dremel tool with a special guard that you stick the nail through so that you can't overgrind.

I got it because one of my dogs absolutely hates to have her nails clipped. I take her to the vet - teeth check, no problem... glands cleaned, no problem... stick needles in her, no problem... but clipping her nails- it takes 2 people to hold her, one person to trim her nails, and me to use my hands as blinders while feeding her treats as fast as I can. And she's the size of a corgi. (shakes head). I got her out of rescue, and she came with the quirk - I work with her, but we just don't make much progress.

So I had high hopes for the peticure. She hates it. She won't even let me near her with it. I did the whole familiarization thing you do with new things, and she was ok until the first time I used it and she flipped out. I mean, she screamed and spasmed and ended up accidentally giving me lovely claw marks down the side of my neck. Her pupils were HUGE!!! And it barely even touched her nail! So back to the vet for toe clipping for her.

On the plus side my other dogs (who aren't really freaked out by toe clipping anway) seem to love it - they just lie there peacefully wile I grind their nails, and I like the confidence of knowing that I won't cut their quick. So, for dogs without toe issues, its great.

There are some problems with it from a products standpoint though - being cordless, it has a battery that requires charging. Although it doesn't say it anywhere, its one of those that if you leave it plugged in just a little longer than it needs to charge it drains and ruins the battery. The company was great and replaced it, but in the end I ended up unscrewing the top part from the tool it came with and attaching it to my corded dremel. I have better control and don't run out of juice partway through the job.

I guess I would reccomend before you spend money on it borrow a regular dremel and see if your dog will let you grind his nails. You obviously don't want to grind much since it won't have the guard, but at least it will tell you how he'll behave around the peticure. Also, most vets offices have dremels they use on dogs when they're under. You could always ask your vet to try it on your greyhound while awake to check his reaction.

Good luck!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #4  
Determined to lose!

My dog doesn't like her nails clipped, I have vet do it for 15 a pop, and usually every other month or so.

it seems this gadget would take too long! If I were a dog I'd be saying "yeah, right lady!"
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #5  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I saw it on tv and wondered the same things, but I don't really think my dogs would sit through that either... and is it noisy? I don't know- I just can't imagine (IMO- for my dogs) that it would work well...
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #6  
carinna

I wouldn't bother, because my dogs would NEVER sit still like the ones in the commercial.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

While I haven't used this particular brand of dremel, I do use a dremel on my dogs. I hear it is better than the guillotine type nail cutters as you are so much less likely to cut into the quick.

One dog tolerates it just fine. The other (who doesn't like his feet messed with at all) tolerates it a lot better than the regular clippers.

I have heard from people on another chat board (for labradors) that the Peticure is really easy to use--I just didn't feel like spending money on one when we already have a regular dremel tool at home.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #8  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Thanks for this thread. I have an 8 month old lab-mix who is petrified of having his nails trimmed. I'll
have to look into this new tool.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #9  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

We just use a dremel at our house. Just a word of warning though you need to remove it from the nail off and on as it will get hot if you just grind without removing it. My dogs don't love it but they tolerate it much better than clipping.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #10  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

I'm actually getting the Pedi-paw. Just like Peti-cure but cheaper... I'm hoping it works well. I cut my dogs nails last time and I made him bleed and will never do it again. I was so upset! But he's a good dog and will lay there on his back and wait until I'm done clipping them. So hopefully he'll be cool with this thing too!!
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #11  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I shouldve came up with this a long time ago, well... I didn't have the tool in mind, but i have been giving my kitties "paw-icures" for a long long time now... Luckily they don't mind it... When I say its time for a pawicure only one of them goes running! and 1 out of 4 aint bad~!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by net knee View Post
I'm actually getting the Pedi-paw. Just like Peti-cure but cheaper... I'm hoping it works well. I cut my dogs nails last time and I made him bleed and will never do it again. I was so upset! But he's a good dog and will lay there on his back and wait until I'm done clipping them. So hopefully he'll be cool with this thing too!!
I'm jealous! One of my dogs sleeps on her back and I can get one nail clipped a day. Once that one is done, she's awake and I have to wait until the next nap.

I saw this commercial and have been wondering. I think my dogs wouldn't allow it though.
ksk571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #13  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I think I will try the Pedi-paw too. I saw it advertised at Wal-mart, but our wally world doesn't have it. It was listed as $19.99. So not a terrible loss if it doesn't work so great. I don't have a dremmel and the one that PetSmart/Petco sells is about $60+.
I'm thinking of ordering it from online Wally world instead of the infomercial people. It feels like an extra layer of protection when you order from a known company.
thanks again,
I knew we had lots of pet lovers here,
Karla
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #14  

Both of our labs reacted with typical horror and panic at the
thing - same thing they do with the nail clipper. They are vet
nail clippee customers too.
We passed it on to a friend, hoping she has better luck with
her dog.
frogponder is offline   Reply With Quote