South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 346.6/325.0/200

Height: 5'07"

Default New Beacher - Operagirl

Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I just joined last weekend but this is my first time posting. I started the South Beach Diet on Monday and I am going to weigh myself tomorrow to see what kind of progress I have made. I started out at 346.6, my all time high weight! I would like to loose 150lbs but I will take it in small increments. I did very well with no bread,sugar or "bad
carbs" all week until this evening so that's why I am posting now. I need some encouragement! I have managed all week without my late night sugery snack and now I am craving something sweet so badly I am ready to go out and get something. I ave some sugar free jello in the fridge but I am afraid that I will eat something with carbs. Anybody got any suggestions?
operagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:47 AM   #2  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

I like to have nonfat plain yogurt with splenda and cocoa powder. I need chocolate There are several suggestions in the book. Have you read it?
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I'd start you're own thread...you'll get lots of attention and advice then...your post here is kinda lost!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

If you are craving something sweet, try the opposite tactic. Go eat some protein...like a hard boiled egg, or some turkey etc. For me it tended to kick the need for sugar at night. If that doesn't work, try a scoop of peanut butter and drink a little bit of milk.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, Operagirl! Usually sugar cravings are all gone by the 3rd or 4th day of Phase 1, but we do have a good variety of desserts to help you get through those times when you just have to have something sweet. Check out our Phase 1 desserts on our recipe boards for some good ideas. The PeanutButter Cup is a lifesaver for me. Some other ways to satisfy those cravings are -

SF jello with 1 or 2 TBSP ff Cool Whip
FF plain yogurt with cinnamon and Splenda, SF jam, or some SF jello powder stirred in
LF cottage cheese with any of the above
NSA fudgesicles
a ricotta creme dessert

I hope these suggestions help, good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #6  

Height: 5'11

I second the NSA Fudgesicles! So helpful to keep on hand in case of a sweets attack. Very yummy and satisfying. But honestly after the first week I didn't crave sweets much at all and I was the Dove chocolate queen before SBD so that in itself is a miracle!
AutumnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #7  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Femme Creole is right. Don't feed the sweet monster and he'll eventually pipe down.

Welcome!! Glad you are here!
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Operagirl! How are things going now? Did you read the book? SBD isn't about how many carbs you eat--it's about good carbs. If you didn't do Phase 1 as it's described in the book, you may still have cravings, which would explain why you wanted something sweet. If you do P1 as described, within five days the cravings should be gone. It's a great feeling!

I definitely join in on recommending the PB cup, though. It's delicious!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #9  

Thanks guys for all or the great advice, and just as you all said, the sugar cravings are pretty much gone. I have lost 10 lbs so far and it hasn't been that hard. I am going to find the recipe for the peanut butter cups. I am a little afraid to eat any of the desserts while I am still on phase 1 so I am going to wait until phase 2 and then I will start experimenting. I do have the book, which i am reading as I go along and someone gave me the sbd cookbook. I got a great tasting greenbean recipe from the Mayo clinic cookbook too.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #10  
Determined to lose!

Welcome to the beach! Look in our P1 Dessert menu! They are ok for P1!!!

I second the NSA fudgesicles! I got to the register yesterday and they asked "you find everything ok?" I said "NO, your out of NSA Fudgesicles"... the cashier didn't know what to say, just looked at me dumbfounded! I had previously asked the young man stocking the icecreams if he had some in back, he looked, he did not! I told him they need to stock up more, because SB is becoming more well known, and these are a staple on the diet!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #11  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

NSA Fudgesicles (I like the Blue Bunny ones the best) and peanut butter were my lifesavers during phase 1.

to the beach!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #12  

Height: 5'7.5"

Welcome to SB...I'm sort of a newbie,one month or so. What I do like most about this is I am not hungry all the time,and after awhile I didn't miss bread/potatoes/although I do love sandwiches alot. But as long as the scale keeps moving down..however slow...I'm sticking with it. Also, I agree with the sugar free fudge cicles...they are yum.~Choices

Last edited by choices; 08-27-2008 at 06:59 PM.
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #13  

THANKS to all of my fellow "Beach Bums" for your fantastic ideas and suggestions, I think you all might have saved me from eating something I should'nt. I often ask myself at 49 years old what else could I possibly want to eat that I haven't already tried in my life? I should be bored by food by now. I definitely made the best choice for myself by joining this website and becoming a Southbeacher. I really like the support. And I tried the NSA fudgesicles and they are out of this world! Thanks again guys!
Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

So glad you're finding what you need here, Opera! The support here has really helped me a lot, too.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #15  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Just wanted to chime in and say Welcome to the BEACH!!!
Regarding being 49 and thinking you've tried everything....know that one of the beautiful things about SBD is that there is so much variety and SO many things to try. If you like to cook, this way of eating really supports being creative. Good luck on your journey!!!
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote