Old 08-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/214/130

Default Sugar question

I purchased some 98% fat free turkey today, but I didn't notice until I got home that it says it contains less than 1 gram of sugar for six slices. I know that on the Atkins diet you have to avoid sugar. Will that tiny bit of sugar interfere with the diet?

Also, I can't find any sugar free ketchup or barbecue sauce. The ones I can find low in sugar contain 1 gram. Does anyone know where I can find sugar free?

Last edited by Moonring05; 08-23-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Moonring05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #2  

Why are you buying low fat Turkey? Atkins requires that you eat such a low volume of carbs that your body will burn fat for energy, therefore you need to do this diet as a high fat diet.

In the book Dr. Atkins warns against trying this program as low fat. It just can't be done. After you've eaten this turkey you should be buying full fat meats, cheeses, cream.......and if you don't keep your fats at about 60% or more of your daily intake you will struggle and end up hungry and not losing weight easily at all. I still list my foods on fitday so I know I'm keeping my fats high enough. I had trouble moving away from the low fat issues too.....but I'm far more comfortable now. When you burn your fats for energy they don't build up in your arteries like they do when your burning carbs for energy and the fats have no way to be used up.

I have never found the sugar free ketchup or bbq sauce either and the ones I've found are even higher per T than what your saying. There is a recipe for homemade ketchup.......I'll look it up and post it for you.
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #3  

Okay here we go. I copied a thread from another forum.

Actually I suspect this is copied from 'Linda's Low Carb Recipes' on the net.

EVEN BETTER "HEINZ" KETCHUP
6 ounce can tomato paste
8 ounce can tomato sauce *
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
1/16 teaspoon allspice
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
1/16 teaspoon cinnamon
1/16 teaspoon garlic powder
Mix all of the ingredients well. Keep refrigerated.
Makes 1 3/4 cups or about 28 tablespoons
Do not freeze

* I used Hunt's tomato sauce but be sure to read the label. They sometimes add sugar to their sauce.

Made with granular Splenda:
1 tablespoon: 8 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

1/4 cup: 31 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1.5g Dietary Fiber; 6.5g Net Carbs

1 cup: 124 Calories; trace Fat; 5g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 26g Net Carbs

Made with liquid Splenda:
1 tablespoon: 7 Calories; trace Fat; trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

1/4 cup: 28 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 7.5g Carbohydrate; 1.5g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

1 cup: 113 Calories; trace Fat; 5g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 23g Net Carbs

I finally had a chance to try some Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup (formerly called Heinz One Carb) and wanted to get as close as I could to creating a good copycat ketchup. My biggest stipulation was that I didn't want to have to cook my ketchup. I wanted it to be just as easy to whip up as my previous recipe. I think I've come pretty close to the Heinz. The main things that are missing in my recipe are the deeper, cooked flavor and the excess salt. I decided not to try and copy the saltiness since I thought the Heinz was overly salty. I used 1/2 teaspoon salt, but feel free to try up to a full teaspoon if you want yours to be as salty as the Heinz. I like the consistency and flavor of this version much better than my Better "Heinz" Ketchup. Adding tomato sauce made all the difference. Even if this isn't identical to the Heinz ketchup, I think it tastes very good and I'm happy with the flavor.

In case anyone is interested, I figured out one day that it costs about $.97 to $1.16 to make a batch of this ketchup. I have to pay an average of $2.00 for a 14 ounce bottle of Heinz low carb ketchup depending on where I buy it.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #4  

I second the comment about fat free turkey. Higher fat is what will help lessen your appetite, no? Plus I believe to take fat out they need to add sugar which is what we are all trying to avoid.
Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Most people refer to Atkins as a high protein diet when in reality its a high fat diet. For those that have read the book, you know on Atkins, particularly the Induction phase, the body burns the fats you are eating for fuel (ketosis). This means eating full fat items like...salad dressings, cheese, mayo, butter etc. Low-fat & fat-free are 2 no-no's on Atkins.

As far as sugar...God bless the food industry, they add sugar to just about everything!!! It is almost impossible to avoid. Read labels and try to make your choices based on things that contain very little sugar & no sugar as often as possible.

Timlin posted a low sugar ketchup recipe...here's a low carb bbq sauce recipe: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/easy_barbecue_sauce.html

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 08-24-2008 at 12:16 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/214/130

I am getting my fats through other things. The turkey was on sale for a big family size. I don't want to pack my whole diet with fat, and go fat crazy. I am eating plenty of butter and cheese with plenty of fat in it.

I was just worried about the sugar content. The weight's falling off me, and I have been forcing myself to eat because I haven't been hungry at all. I had one little slip up. But I was at 250 and now I am at 214 in less then a month. So I think I am getting plenty of fat.

I just didn't know if the meat need to have no sugar in it.

Last edited by Moonring05; 08-24-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Moonring05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

WOW congrats on your loss, that is GREAT!!! Maybe you could share your daily menu with us. I am always looking for new ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonring05 View Post
I am getting my fats through other things. The turkey was on sale for a big family size. I don't want to pack my whole diet with fat, and go fat crazy. I am eating plenty of butter and cheese with plenty of fat in it.

I was just worried about the sugar content. The weight's falling off me, and I have been forcing myself to eat because I haven't been hungry at all. I had one little slip up. But I was at 250 and now I am at 214 in less then a month. So I think I am getting plenty of fat.

I just didn't know if the meat need to have no sugar in it.
Luvbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #8  

Oh my amazing loses!! Congratulations on your achievements and I guess we admit you know what your doing! Isn't it amazing how your never hungry? I've been on the program for 5 months now and I'm finding I do feel hungry now and then at 2 a.m. but not enough to be a bother.

I think we have to watch the additives in meats. Some of the processed meats have sugars and other carbs in them so we do have to be careful. I'd eat the turkey but take small portions......and if it triggers you to crave or to be hungry then pass on it and let the family gobble it up for you.

Hope you continue with such great success. Your just an inspiration and I bet your feeling wonderful.

I was just into Value Village today and picked up some new shirts and blue jeans to carry me through to the next size down. It's been a lifesaver to be able to go to VV and pick up a few new things and then returning to them the things I bought previously. I feel well dressed and have things that fit me all the time while I'm moving down.......and I don't wear things long enough to do them any damage before I return them for resale.