South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #1  
aka Wendi (it's shorter!)

S/C/G: 215/203/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Thinking of Starting (again)

Hi all!

So I did south beach once before in combination with a jogging program, and had great success as long as I stayed on it, but then... well, we all know the "but"

I'm thinking of starting it again, once we eat the last few meals I've got stuff for that are very non-compliant. I suppose I'm just looking for advice, support, or suggestions for Phase 1. I've been mulling it over for a few days, and I'm pretty sure this is a good idea, so all I need is the kick in the but to get me going.

And for reference- last time I started SBD I was about 185 LB. I worked out, exercised, and made my way into the 160s, only to gain it all back and then some. I've started watching what I eat again, and started jogging again, and I've lost some weight, but it's going slowly and most of my diet is very, very processed stuff. I know I need to get more veggies and whole foods in, and I think this will be a good way to do it.
Asynchronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome back, Asynchronous! We're happy that you've decided to come back to The Beach. We have a current thread running especially for Phase 1er's that you may find helpful, and you're welcome to join us in the daily chat, too.

Here's a dose of to help you get started, and that that you asked for, too! Good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #3  

Height: 5'11

Welcome back!
AutumnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Asynchronous!

What can you do this time to keep yourself from falling off? Learning from the past is a great way to make all of it worthwhile!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #5  
carinna

back and best of luck to you!!!
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #6  

That's a great question Beachgal! I think I just need to remember to take the time to take care of myself, and to remember that mistakes don't mean it's all over. Last time I did South Beach I got really stressed at the end of the semester (I teach and take classes), and started eating fast food and take out all the time. I didn't run cause I was too busy, and after about a month I kinda figured I messed everything up and didn't have the energy to start all over.

So, I need to have "easy food" on hand for when things overwhelm me, and to realize that going "off plan" for a few days does not ruin everything I've done.

I should tattoo that on my forehead... ;-p
Old 08-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #7  

Hi Wendi......I'm right there with ya. I started SB (again!) last Wed. 1 week down tomorrow. Yippee. So glad to have it behind me. This particular diet works very well for me and I know why........it cuts out all the junk! Exercise is also a big part of the process. Just get out there, you'll always be glad you did.
TStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #8  

Hi.
I seriously need to do this.
I did SBD a few years ago, along with increased activity, and actually achieved my goal weight and stayed there quite a while!
now, here I am again.
I re-joined this list in June sometime, didn't actually re-start SBD, though.
And I've found that just by being here - well, just by being here, but not actually modifying my eating at all, I have not made much progress!

next week, the kids go back to school.
next week, my life gets as stable as it's going to be.
next week, I'm starting over.
rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/190/140

Height: 5'7"

i'm just starting again, failed day 1 horribly so I need to get to the grocery store and get some good stuff.
oopsmyhalofelloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #10  

Well, as I mentioned in another post, my BF (who lives with me) was very resistant to the idea of starting South Beach. So, we sat down and had a long talk, and he said that he thinks that it will be to hard for him to eat on the plan, for various reasons. So,what we've decided to do instead, something we can both agree on and support each other on, is to do weight watchers.

That being said, I think I will still draw my recipes from a Phase II-esque plan, and work on really emphasizing good carbs and lean meats in what I fix for breakfast and dinner. For lunch we're on our own, so he can do what he wants and I'll do what I want. It's a compromise we can both be happy with.