South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Phase I Chick-Check - Week of August 24

This thread is for all new and returning Phase I folks.

Please post your successes, problems and helpful hints in this thread where we can all share. If you are new, feel free to join in - there's lots of support here.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #2  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Hi there. I have been on Phase 1 since last Monday, so I am almost 7 days in. I feel AWESOME! I feel so in control, if that makes sense. I feel like my will power is is high gear, and it isn't hard right now. I am eating a lot of veggies, drinking a lot of water and watching the sugar. To say I have been 100% OP this week would be a lie. I have strayed. I had a small piece of bday cake for my father-in-laws birthday, I have had a few pieces of pizza with the family,a small handful of grapes while making the kids lunch, etc.
I still feel in control, I feel great. I am down 3 lbs as of today.
My question is, do I start Phase 1 over again tomorrow? Or keep going on my second week?
Thanks,
Jenny
Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #3  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Hi Jenskihere, you're doing great and it's awesome that you feel so good as a result.

I have this theory that some cheats here and there may not be as detrimental to some individuals as it may be to others. I have read the book now and have come to the conclusion that some people are able to get away with a few cheats.

I am currently on phase 1 again and have had some cheats and still lost 2 lbs when I weighed myself this morning. Still, I want to do ph 1 cleanly. Just watch for cravings after you had some of those cheats, try to isolate and identify them. It is better not to cheat, but when you do (and we are human!), just pay attention to what causes binges later on. I am keeping careful watch. We went to my grandma's and I had her famous potato salad so I'm watching out for any cravings... I did not intend on cheating today at all, but we were at her house and she insisted we stay for dinner, and although I don't make potato salad myself, her potato salad is a weakness for me.

After reading the SBD book (which I did, I finished it earlier) I figured that the potatoes were boiled, and it had mayo in it. Thus, the mayo would slow down the absorption of the carbs into my bloodsteam. Which, doesn't make it 'legal' or healthy, but it was better than eating a baked potato!

The book opened my eyes because although I already understand the basic principles behind the SBD, it wasn't quite as I had expected it entirely.

Still, this potato salad was a one-time thing.

Anyway, it felt great to move my ticker down!

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Jenski, I think it's very important to have a clean two weeks of Phase 1 to completely rid your body of toxins and cravings, and to give you a good foundation for following this way of eating the rest of your life. Once you've started Phase 2, an occasional cheat won't hurt you, but you really shouldn't cheat in Phase 1.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #5  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning Chicks!

I am back on phase 1 for two weeks... Vacations and summer have been a lot of fun, but all those "little treats" have snuck up on me and are hangin' on! This thread always motivates me and helps shake off those stubborn lbs...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #6  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Thanks for the advice. I'll use last week as my "learning week." I'll just start clean on Phase 1 again today. Doing great so far!!
Thanks,
Jenny
Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

bump
Old 08-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #8  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

So coming back from a long weekend of eating debauchery I'm going to do at least a week of P1. Going shopping this morning. Planning on having a giant grilled chicken salad for dinner with lots of veggies. Lunch is going to be shrimp and great northern bean salad. I'm hoping my dh will be up for a walk tonight after dinner.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 353/324/190

Height: 5'9"

Hi Everyone! I am on day 10 of phase 1 but I am going to do another week because I cheated on Monday. But all in all I am doing really well. I am liking this new way of eating. And I think this website has been a big help for me. I think the best part is that unlike other diets I have tried, I never feel hungry! Have a great week all!

~Liz
Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #10  

Hi all.

I did SB back when the book first came out. Had great success with it. Slowly the weight came back with an additional 10 lbs, when I quit following the program. After having a stent last summer, I joined WW and have been doing the Core Plan. I'm really having a hard time getting my HDL up. It just keeps getting lower, instead of higher, even though I'm eating right. I am now on fish oil capsules and Niaspan, to try and get it up where it should be.

I still have 9 lbs to lose to get to a healthy BMI. I have been at a stall for the last 2 month or longer. I am not gaining, but I'm not losing either. I really enjoyed SB and the Core plan is very similar. I am re-reading my book and have looked over the food lists for any new changes since I last did the diet.

My question....do I really need to do phase 1? I don't eat breads or sugars. I don't feel I would be detoxing my body, since I don't eat that stuff anyway. I will really miss my fruit. I am so confused about SB and WW Core plan. I'm trying to figure out what is different about the two. I know nuts are not on the WW plan. I really miss them. Also peanut butter is not on WW core list. You can have them, just count the points. I used to have an apple with pb every night on SB. Now, on WW, I have popcorn and fruit. I much prefer the apple/pb.

Also, I eat quinoa and bulgar. I see the quinoa on the list of foods, but not bulgar. Both are whole grains, high fiber, and very healthy. I couldn't live without these 2 grains. I don't eat the bulgar as often, but usually have quinoa for dinner and sometimes for lunch. I very seldom eat bread, pasta or rice. I do have steel cut oats for breakfast most mornings.

Sorry this is so long. Do you think I need to start on Phase 1? Also concerned about my whole grains (quinoa and bulgar).

Thanks.

My stats are wrong. I'm at 149, not 158.2
Pam

Last edited by pam920; 08-27-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: stats
Old 08-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Pam, you do not have to do Ph1, particularly if you do not have a lot to lose, or have been eating healthy and don't have cravings for the bad carbs.
Yes, bulgar and nuts are allowed. Apple and peanut butter is a great snack!
Welcome.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I started back on SBD 10 days ago. The first week I did great, stayed on plan, walked a lot and on Sunday when I weighed myself I had lost 4 punds and 2 inches off my waist. yeah....

Well, that afternoon I went to a going away party for a friend of mine and did exceptionall well at the potluck. Ate in moderation all 'good' foods. Put my plate up afterwards, got a huge sugar free tea and set and talked with all my friends, feeling quite proud of myself. Oh dear, the desserts rolled out. I wasn't going to have any, I wasn't going to go up to the table at all, I was sitting very far from the table. Some how and to this day I can't figure out what my thought process was, I passed the table and decided that a little bit of this and that wouldn't really hurt right? So I had 1/2 slice of apple pie, 1/2 slice of cheese cake and 1/2 a slice of peach pie. At least I didn't have any ice cream. And I did stop at 1/2 a slice of each... The next morning I weighed myself and had gained back the 4 pounds. Oh, well, live and learn.

So basically I'm on day 3 of phase 1 because I want to have at least a good 2clean weeks before starting phase 2.

The next problem I have is another party on Saturday where someone is bringing a cake from the Asian market-those really good fruity ones that aren't very sweet. So I have to figure out how not to eat it. I have a few more days to figure out some stategies.

Sarah in MD
Old 08-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Sarah, that's a challenge we all face! What went wrong was somewhere between sitting with your tea and having made the decision that you would not have any dessert and taking that first little bit. We all need strategies and answers to that evil little voice in your head starts telling you a little bit won't hurt.

But keep in mind that 4 lbs. is 14000 calories and it's doubtful you ate that much cake! Your four lbs. will be gone in a minute, but you're right, a good clean Ph1 is important and will make it easier to resist the cake next time.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #14  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

hmac- you just reminded me to take chicken out of the freezer for tonight! THANKS!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #15  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Sarahyu, like Schmoodle says, you didn't consume 14000 extra calories in that pie. I'll give you props for only eating half a slice of each. If I were in such a situation and I did decide to cave in and eat just a little, I would have eaten 3 whole slices of pie/cheesecake.

Just keep drinking water, cut out salt for a day or two, check the scale again tomorrow.
Closed Thread