South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/158/130

Height: 5'4"

Default question about GREAT dressing-has honey in it! Can I use it?

I just came back from vacation (walt Disney World and Sanibel Island) and had a great time and great food.
Apparently I left my South Beach mentality behind. Yes, I must confess, I indulged in many, many tasty foods, and cheated in a big way but now vacation is over and that I'm back, I am going back to phase 1 again so I can reduce my crazings and start fresh. (The crazings have comeback in a major way)

While I was in WDW, I ate at this restaurant called Ohana which is in the Polynesian Resort, one of my fave restaurants there. They have a FABULOUS Salad dressing that they put on the salad(fresh spring mix ). It is a key lime/honey dressing and I love it!! What I need to know is if this can be used either on phase 1 or phase 2 of South Beach. I'm not sure b/c of the honey-and I'm assuming it probably isn't allowed in phase 1.
I hope I can use it b/c I'm not a big salad eater, but I know w/ this dressing, as much as I love it, will convince me and help me to eat salads much more regularly.
I have listed the ingredients and recipe below-any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

-1/2 c. key lime juice
-1/2 c. honey
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
-1 c canalo oil
-1/2 c apple cider vinegar
-1/4 c white or yellow onion

Combine everything in blender except oil.
then slowly add oil in blender on low til mixed
mickey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #2  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

You could substitute agave nectar for the honey.... Honey isn't allowed.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Honey isn't allowed on any phase. And that's a lot of honey so I'm sure the grams of sugar per serving are going to be too high on this. You could still make it though, and experiment with using Splenda, sugar free syrups, or some agave nectar. The agave nectar shouldn't be used on Ph1 though. It does look yummy, glad you had a nice vacation!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 08-21-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/158/130

Thanks..I do have agave at home as well. Do you know how much agave is allowed then for phase 2?
Thanks.

Last edited by mickey13; 08-21-2008 at 02:23 PM.
mickey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

As far as I know, there is not an official position on agave nectar for SB. It is a low-glycemic natural sweetener, so some of us have opted to use it and have found that it doesn't seem to kick off any cravings for us, used in limited amounts. If you were making this dressing, you'd be limited by your fat servings for the day, so I don't think you'd be using too much of it. But YMMV and you'd have to try it and see how it works for you.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote