Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #32

Good Morning, Flowers! We slept in this morning and walked later. Now the sunshine has disappeared and it's cloudy. I've got laundry going and need to sew on a couple of buttons plus iron. Bob played in a golf tournament yesterday; both of us were tired and fell asleep in front of the TV last evening. I woke up enough to go to bed and was surprised that it was dark outside. Tomorrow we head for the lake so I need to make a grocery run and fix my beans and finger jell-o for the kids. I think we're going to make ice cream so will have to find the ice cream maker.

Susan -- I'm glad you are feeling 100% and well enough to go back to Curves. What did you end up taking for the going away party? I'm always looking for new snack ideas for card club. Thank you for sharing the cake recipe; it sounds simple and good. I wanted a new ironing board and the ones I've looked at are not as sturdy as the one I've had for almost 41 years! I have not used my sewing machine in a very long time so will probably need to dig the book out and oil it. I do wear iorns out though!

"Gma" -- That is so sad about the little girl! I think the Visa gift card is a wonderful idea for the parents and know they will appreciate it. The hats are so cute! You are such a thoughtful person. Do you, by any chance, take Fosamax? It now comes in a generic form, and since we have had a change in our prescription plan, it won't pay for name brand unless the doctor requests it. When I was in for my physical, I asked the doctor about it and he said the only problem he has run into is that the generic does not have the thick coating Fosamax does, and some people have trouble with getting acid indegestion from it.

I'm off to change laundry loads and make my grocery list. Have a great weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #2  

Good morning ladies. Had one of those could not sleep nights so was up until around 4 this morning then went to bed for a bit. I imagine I will fall asleep in the chair sometime today.

Jean: No, I only take a diuretic and a high blood pressure pill along with a Centrum Silver everyday. I imagine it is directly connected to my surgeries as it piped up after I was reconnected and just got worse the last month or so. I will just have to talk to the dr about it when I go in. I had to reschedule my appt to the 25th since he is going to be gone all next week.

Susan: Thanks for the green bags info. I bought some tupperware like stuff that is supposed to be like the bags, but I would really like to get the bags so I can stock up on some fresh fruits and veggies for as long as the season lasts.

We went out yesterday and had some lunch and went to Target so Jack could get a memory card for his Tom Tom and a couple pair of shorts for the trip to Houston. At least the memory card was cheap! lol He had to buy a new gps a month ago and this is the third one he has had. The first one was when they first came out and it was a hand held thing that crashed, then like an idiot he bought one refurbished to save a bit of money and has had it less than a year and it quit working. He wanted to buy this $500 monstrosity and I voiced my displeasure at that expense so he bought one that I wouldn't say was reasonable, but lots less expensive than that. We do use it when we travel so I don't gripe about the idea of having another electronic toy, but having to replace it irks me. Jack like Steak and Shake chocolate shakes and had the other programmed to bong anytime one was 4 miles from where we were at the time. Used to scare the heck out of me so I told him no more bonging! You can put in rest areas, but I noticed with the other one that it would tell you the 4 miles out, but then it wouldn't tell you to turn in until you passed the exit!

Well gals, I am going to get a bit of breakfast. I doubt I get one thing done today. Have a good one!
Faye
Old 08-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #3  

Good morning, ladies!

Faye, GERD is caused by the valve between the stomach and the esophagus not closing all the way. If you aren't already on medication for it, get to the doctor before you get serious problems like I have. Nexium, Protonix, etc. can heal and stop the GERD in 8 weeks if you get it early.
I hope it goes away for you! And get some sleep!

Jean, could you send me a scoop of that ice cream? I haven't had homemade in a long time. I have an ice cream maker around here somewhere. I should look it up and make a bit. I'm looking in thrift stores for an old iron that doesn't have steam, just a solid soleplate. I do some fusing of fabric and they old ones get hotter than the new ones and the solid soleplate makes it go faster.

I went to church this morning, then finished my grocery shopping. Now I'm going to vacuum the downstairs and clean the kitchen and I'm good for another week. Feels like a day to put a movie in the DVD and veg out.

Have a good evening!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. Got an email from my son last evening and he, his wife and Jackson are home from Mexico. They were down in southern Mexico visiting with her dad who lives down there now.

Susan: Thanks for the advice. I plan on talking to Dr Wheat when I am in there next week to see what I can do. I just hope more nasty tests are not in my future. I am tired of taking tests where I have to drink stuff that makes me gag! lol

Jean: I imagine you are gearing up to go back to school now. Getting clothes pressed, your bullet proof vest cleaned, etc... Hope you had a good time at the lake.

I am going to finish up the downstairs today then head upstairs and tackle at least part of it today. I have to go sometime this week and get my driver's license renewed. We have online renewal, but they passed a law where everyone has to prove they are an american citizen and the law passed between the time I got my license down here and now so I have to go in this time.

Not much else shaking in my part of the world. Start your week out well!
Faye
Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #5  

Good evening - rather cool tonight so I turned the air off and opened the windows.

Faye, the test for GERD is an endoscopy and you don't drink anything. They give you "happy juice" in an IV and you don't remember a thing although you aren't under anesthetic. I work up as soon as they finished and walked out 30 minutes later. I did have a bit of a sore throat. They also use this to detect ulcers.

Jean, did you have school today? Hope it's getting off to a smooth start.

I got together tonight with 2 of my friends to finish up our work for the quilt challenge and then we went to dinner so that was a nice break.

Have a good night!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was another nice day here although the days are getting warmer again as the week goes along. We spent yesterday at the lake doing the birthday party. The kids have so much fun together that it is just fun to sit and watch them. Ian started Kdg. today; he called tonight and was so excited. I thought it would be about school but he rode his bike without the training wheels for the first time. I guess he has his priorities!

"Gma" -- I had to laugh at Jack setting the GPS to go off when near a Steak and Shake. He is a kid at heart! It got warm in the school building this afternoon. I don't have a huge wardrobe of cooler clothing to wear to school so if it's hot they will see me in the same clothes quite often. I wish someone would come up with some sort of gadget that when the "undesirables" have no car insurance, or are under the influence, the car won't start! Locally we've had several bad accidents this summer and the person at fault had no insurance.

Susan -- There is nothing WW friendly about my ice cream recipe! I have played around with the recipe for years and use whip cream, half and half, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon, and salt. A few years ago I sent for an ice cream maker that was on QVC. It makes a smaller amount than our big maker. You have to keep the innards in the freezer until you are ready to use it. I used the recipe that came with it and it was pretty good too. I wonder if they even make a dry iron any more? Good luck in finding one! I had a building meeting at school this morning and worked in a classroom this afternoon. Tomorrow morning we meet with the special ed. director to find out what the schedule will be . . . subject to change of course. The kids start on Wednesday.

I went to the doctor after school today. My eczema is spreading and I have an under the skin rash (?) on my arms that itches. He suggested trying a different dermatologist since the one I've gone to only works 2 days a week and the next opening is in October! I'm taking a set of steroid pills which will stop the itching I hope. It's always something.

Have a terrific Tuesday! I'm going to bed!

Jean --- from Iowa!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #7  

Good morning ladies. Jack has left for work and I am going to get upstairs in just a few and start on work up there. I have clothes to put in the dryer first though.

Boy, I am ! I got those cute hat patterns and read each one. Two of them have little appliques, one with flowers and the other with the cherries. I read the patterns three times and it didn't include the pattern for either so I emailed her. Guess what? She graciously said that the patterns were originally in kits and that she was sorry for the mix up, but that because of it she would ship the cherries and the flowers to me free but the cost of each was $10!!!!!!! I am not about to spend $20 on those. I sat and looked at the cherries and I can recreate them by doing I-cord and then tightly wrapping in a circle and then went on the hunt for knitted flowers and found several that are way too big, but I think I can adapt them doing I-cord again so phooey on her. I also didn't like the colors of the one hat so I am making it a white hat with purple flowers and a color called pesto as the accent color. What I do to decide on colors is go to wherever I am buying the yarn and right click and save the yarn color picture. I download several combinations of colors then take them and line them up next to each other on my computer to see if the colors blend well. I have the cherry hat started, but boy I can tell I haven't knitted in awhile, my arms and hands are sore!

Susan: I am thankfully feeling much better and not having any more acid reflux, but I am still going to talk to the dr about it. Sounds like you had a nice time with friends.

Jean: I about killed Jack last night. He spent over $1800 on his new laptop and he told me last night he bought a new "skin" for it with the Cubs logo. Well, it cost $35, which I think is outrageous, but I didn't say too much until I got to thinking. I asked him if he didn't order a special skin for the thing in the first place that he paid extra for. He hemmed and hawed and then said yes, but he would have had to pay for a skin anyway. Well, I pinned him down to the fact that he indeed ordered a specially decorated skin when he ordered the computer that he had to pay extra above and beyond the cost of what a plain one would be. I currently look like this.... I am going to shoot that man! Jack grew up with the mentality if you have money, spend it. His parents would buy him anything he wanted as long as they could afford it and it wasn't something dangerous. I however though not a tight wad by any means of the imagination am not a spend thrift. I do not want to go back to the days where we had to worry about whether his paycheck will cover the bills or not. We make plenty of money now and there is no reason to just buy stuff willy nilly, especially stuff that is a replacement for something you already have and works fine. I pay all the bills and when he doesn't get his way about something he says I am "controlling" because I asked him what he wants XX amount of $$ for. He says I can spend whatever I like, but he has to account for what he spends and he does all the earning. Well, when I was young, that might have flown, but in my old age, I just tell him too bad! lol I also remind him that spending $25 on something is a lot different than $1800. Unfortunately, he can buy whatever he chooses as long as he knows there may be to pay later! lol He did the skin thing behind my back, partly to see how I would react so he could point the finger. Ninety-nine percent of the time he is an angel, but when it comes to money the comes out.

Well gals this is surely not getting my chores done and since I have started the hat, I want to get the ruffle part done this morning as it is tiring. Have a wonderful Tuesday!
Faye
Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies! Going up in the 90s today so heat is back. Darn!

Jean, maybe you are allergic to school and it is causing the itching and rash. You went back to school before I located that block so I am proud of you. I'll be finding the block before the end of August anyway. I went and bought 2 more sets of drawers to go with the 4 i have so let the fabric organizing begin! I'm thinking I would really like to move my sewing room into the other bedroom and use the current one for an office. I could get a daybed for in there. What I'd really like to do is make the master bedroom into a sewing room and just get a single bed for myself. I'm only in the bedroom to dress and sleep.

Faye, I'm glad you got rid of the heartburn. It sure is miserable. I handled all the money during my marriage and only my name was on credit cards. My husband was completely irresponsible about money. He love to buy gifts and I quickly learned he just didn't manage money well so I took it away from him. What was left after bills were paid and some put into our savings account was divided equally between us and that was all the spending money we got for a month. I'm a very frugal person.

I sometimes look around at people I know who are my age. Half of them think they are old and don't want to do anything but watch tv. Mention going somewhere and its too much walking or I don't like to go out at night and they just veg. Fortunately I have younger friends and we are always game to do anything.

I signed up for Bible Study at my church. It'll be every Monday from 7 until 8:30 in the evening. I always want to do this and now I can. And hopefully I'll make some more friends.

Well, have to get to work!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is a warm one here this afternoon; I came home, shut the house up, and turned on the air. I knew the cool weather was too good to be true! We practiced our evacuation drill this afternoon; several of us ended up dead because when we left the building we stayed in sight of the glass doors.

"Gma" -- Could you use buttons to decorate the hats? I've seen some cute buttons and you've always seem to find some online. OK . . . I will show my ignorance. Tell me all about what a "skin" is.

Susan -- We have some friends who gave their master bedroom to their two daughters and they took a smaller bedroom. The girls had room for all of their "stuff" while the parents felt they didn't need the space. I'm sure you will enjoy the Bible study group. I've wanted to do that too, but it's usually the same night I have bell choir and I don't want to spend the extra time in one evening.

I need to call my "mom" and check in. Bob has a dinner meeting tonight so I am on my own. Subway sounds good! Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow! It will seem like Monday since it will be the first day with students.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #10  

Good morning gals. It is raining or trying to here this morning and very dark. I finally got fed up with my gate situation because I had it locked yesterday and UPS was able to yank it open in the locked position to deliver a package yesterday. I put in a maintenance call yesterday to have it fixed.

We talked to my son yesterday and he got Montezuma's Revenge while in Mexico and the baby got a horrible ear and eye and chest infection. So bad they had to take him to a dr down there. Jay said he feels fine after some antibiotics and Jackson is much better too. He has the same kind of problems his daddy did with his ears. He is now officially walking though Jay says it is basically when he feels like it. He walked to Jay yesterday when he went to pick him up at day care. I told Jay to be sure and send me some video.

Susan: I liked the intimacy of Bible Study much more than church. You can spend more time on questions and opinions, both of which I seemed to always have. Keep looking that quilt square is there somewhere. I am so miffed about my hat. I found that the yarn I used that has elastic, stretched out once I had the ruffle done and would be big enough for my head. I had to tear it out and order regular cotton yarn for the third hat. So now I am stuck with all this stupid cotton yarn with elastic in it that I can't return, but I will figure out something to do with it.
If all else fails, I will donate to someone.

A moment of silence for our dear departed Jean who forgot to get out of the way of the window!

Jean: I wouldn't know anything if it weren't for Jack. A "skin" is an interchangeable piece on the lid of a laptop. Don't ask me how it comes on and off, have no clue whatsoever! Jack sold his other laptop to a guy a work really really cheaply. He made sure it all worked etc and the guy was impressed how well taken care of it was. He took it home and gave it to his dd and she couldn't get it to boot up. Jack told him to have it checked and if it was reasonable to fix he would split the cost or give him his money back, whatever he wanted. Well, the motherboard crapped out so Jack just gave the guy back his money and brought the thing back home. I asked Jack about the guy being angry as we weren't trying to cheat him and the thing worked perfectly well up until the time we sold it. He said that the guy wasn't mad just disappointed a bit. His dd really liked it and now he is going to have to buy a new one. This just gives Jack ammunition that he really did need a new one! lol Stupid computers! lol

Guess I better get going and get some work done. I never did get the work done upstairs yesterday so need to tackle it this morning first thing. Have a great hump day!
Faye
Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #11  

Good afternoon, ladies!

Jean - Rest In Peace, we'll miss you! Now you know to get away from those glass windows! I came home from work today and turned the ac off and opened the windows. Crazy weather.

Faye, maybe you could salvage the yarn by knitting a thin finger weight with it to keep it from stretching. We also have an advanced bibly study and this year they are spending 28 weeks on just the book of Exodus! Now that is in-depth.

I have quilting bee tonight. I really like this group. We have been together since 1992. I swore I wasn't going to volunteer for anymore at the quilt guild and today we get an email they need a couple of people to help with the Fall Mystery which is starting in September - so of course I signed right up. At least it will be over in December.

Have a good evening!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Arrow I"m Baaaaaaack

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Well here I am once again. It is a bit of a story why it took so long to get back on line and I will save that for another day for right now I am a bit pressed for time. I will PM each of you with my new e-mail address. Sure missted ya'll! I'll be back soon and try reading what I have missed being AWOL
Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am tired and heading for bed! Today was the first day with students; a half day of 17 minute classes so basically nothing much was accomplished except taking roll. Kids are already complaining that they've heard about the "healthy" changes in the school lunch. The biggies are soy cmeat instead of hamburger, no more nachos with cheese, no more jalapenos, etc. They don't like their classes, teachers, etc., want to change schedules, whine, whine, whine. Since I can't do a thing about the food nor the schedules I just let them talk.

"Gma" -- That is too bad about the yarn. Could you make stretchy dish rags? Thanks for the skin explanation! I had a new motherboard put in my computer not too long ago. According to Jason and Will that is the brains of the computer. Like I would know the difference! If we would ever have to evacuate students out the window, there are several who would never make it . . . me included! The windows are huge, but the part that opens is small and pulls inward . . . maybe a skinny 5 year old could get through.

Susan -- I have my windows open tonight too! It is supposed to be cloudy tomorrow, but more humid so think I will set the air to come on when I leave for school. When you mentioned the Fall Mystery I wondered if the mystery part is not knowing what you will be making?

Maggie -- Welcome back! We have missed you!

I don't know why but I've been really tired the last few days. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all. Hope you day is starting out well. We have had a lot of rain over the last 24 hours so it is very sticky now.

I bought myself another pair of walking shoes though they are slipons not tie ups. They are a Ryka brand and the shoe is raved about on QVC customer reviews. I orginally ordered a corduroy pair of tie ups, but saw these slipons and liked them even better. They are a very light suede and don't have that "running shoe" look to them so will be good to wear to go shopping and such. Sure hope they fit. They do have wides in my size, but I have such big feet that I have to order the 11's which is the biggest size they have. I usually can wear a medium width in most shoes even being flatfooted. I also bought some skin stuff and we shall see if I can improve the facial stuff. I don't give a patoot about wrinkles, just better skin. Now that I am pretty sure I am through menopause, I don't have any kind of breakouts for the most part, but my skin can use the extra attention because I don't exactly take care of my face and never really have. This is a cleansing, moisturizing, wrinkle reducer and makeup set all in one and again the customer reviews are 9 out of 10 stars.

Susan: I will figure out something to do with that yarn. I have a ton of it as I bought it for the boys for sweaters and may still knit them, I don't know, but they aren't getting sweaters this year. It isn't going anywhere. Jack taught an adult SS class when we lived in Indiana. I was very, very dubious about it as I thought he would be really boring. Boy was I surprised! He was the best teacher I ever had and rumors got around about his teaching and people were leaving other adult classes and joining his! He taught the book of Daniel, which being prophecy isn't easy, and had handouts and everything. He was really great. I remember a really good teaching of the book of Exodus and this teacher did in depth stuff about the ark of the covenent and "traveling" temple and what was in it and all that. It was really good stuff. Hope you enjoy it.

Jean: My high school had those exact windows where sticking an arm out may get you stuck. Didn't provide much ventilation, I can tell you that and no AC back then so I know how miserable you have to get when it is hot there. I guess the Iowa Cubs, the triple A team of Chicago,
is going ganbusters and miles ahead of anyone else. From what I understand on Sept 1, all major league teams can expand their roster from 25 to 40 so I am sure Lou Pinella will scoop up some of those fellows doing well on the triple A team.

Maggie: Good to hear from you and glad you are now settled. We look forward to hearing about everything.

The little girl, Emma, that I am making the hats for is very sick and in ICU. I got an email from Kelly and she said she ran a temp of 105 and with her illness that is really bad and dangerous so they put her in the hospital. They are hoping she can come home tomorrow, but she is a sick little girl I guess.

Well I am going to get in the chair and snooze awhile. Have a good Thursday all.
Faye
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #15  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning Ladies!

I was so much organized when I worked before retiring. I did come in here a few days ago and typed out a very long post and either the computer (not the one I'm on now) or the message board didn't like it and the little thingey just kept going round and round. Needless to say, I got tired of watching it move in circles and went off-line.

Wayne is back to work. I would like to say the household is back to normal but I don't know what is normal anymore. It's 9am and I'm still in my jammies. I need to get going for the day. Needless to say I don't have a clue what everyone is doing.

Me? I'm still going to bible study on Wednesday night (love this group). Still going to church on Sunday. Still babysit some although not as much as before. Still knitting and have gone a little overboard on the knitting of fingerless gloves. So much so, Wayne thinks I'm knitting them to sell. Many pairs of these things laying around my house! I'd like to say I've lost tons of weight. I have not. I announced to the ladies at bible study (while eating chocolate pie...woke up in the middle of night with heart burn--probably God telling me to get myself to WW pronto) last night that I'm returning to Weight Watchers on Friday and paying for the monthly pass (to keep me going and to have access to etools).

I have nothing planned for the day except to clean out the refrigerator and pantry.

I will catch up. Yeah, I've said that before...I will, I will!

Last edited by GailR; 08-21-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Closed Thread