Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Default Coffee Syrups

I was thinking of getting a bottle of these, either caramel or vanilla, but I'm concerned about the sugar content. And the sugar free one I saw uses Splenda. Should I just get the regular and not use much of it? Or should I look around at other places?
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I use the DaVinci's sugar-free (made with Splenda) syrups all the time. They taste great!! Caramel, Vanilla, Toasted Hazelnut and English Toffee are my favorites. I especially love them in greek yogurt!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #3  
Free-thinker

Yah, I've seen that one at the store. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to use Splenda. I've heard it isn't very safe.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

If you want the flavor without any sweetener, try http://capellaflavordrops.com/

They also sell a sweetened flavoring (with Splenda).

With these drops, you use much, much less than flavored syrups. So about 3-4 drops for a cup of coffee.

I buy the unsweetened kind. My hubby likes the sweet stuff, so he just adds Stevia to his coffee with the flavor drops.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have noticed no negative effects with Splenda in my own personal use. Everyone must decide for him/herself on whether to include artificial sweeteners. My personal belief is that, in moderation, they do no harm and make my life easier (and tastier!)

However, you can get "flavor drops" from various manufacturers, which are completely unsweetened. When combined with the sweetener of your choice, which could be stevia, splenda, or any other sweetener, they'd acheive the same result, and you'd control the sweetener and sweetness. Several manufacturers also make Stevia-sweetened syrups, but you may need to order them online.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #6  
Free-thinker

Oooo, those look nice! And some sound really yummy. Do you know what the S&H is for them?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
If you want the flavor without any sweetener, try http://capellaflavordrops.com/
These sound like something I could use in my coffee with my stevia (I am trying to avoid splenda best I can). I went to the site but for the life of me couldn't discern what's IN the drops...

Anyone know???
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Flavored Stevias

I use the English Toffee Stevia everyday in our yogurt. Have the lemon, orange, grape, and root beer. You have to be careful not to use too much or it will come off as bitter. I have to drink lots of water and these help me get it down. I have used the English toffee in my tea and really like it. Now for the SF Monin pitch. I do love the SF Monin and yes they do have Splenda. I use the white chocolate in my chai tea and use the others in baking and ricotta cheese and stuff. I try to use stevia in baking, but it is hard to regulate and even with two stevia cookbooks. I guess it is you own personal choice thingy.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote