Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/175

Height: 5'10"

Default What Shoes do you wear to workout?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but hear goes! I've just taken up walking with one of my neighbors every am. Its not much right now but it does get me moving, and exercise is one of those things for me that I seem to have wonderfull intentions, but never actually do.
Ok so the question. I have had the samepair of sketchers shoes since my daughter was born 3 yrs ago! I wear them for work (I'm a nurse) exercise, casual everything! Well they are worn through and I need to purchase new shoes. I tryed a pair of Avia, but its been 3 wks now and I have blisters on 3 toes and those shoes just hurt!!
What shoes do you recommend, I'm a size 10.5 wide (I know, I know, big dutch feet!) So sketchers don't make half sizes and they don't make wide (that I could find on their web site) my old pair fit me I think because they were clogs and I had stretched them out severly!
Thankyou so much for your help!
EviesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #2  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I think you should not concentrate on any particular brand but rather try to find a pair that is wide enough. I have wide feet myself, I am size 9 - 9.5 but I often buy a size 10 because that gives me a wee bit of extra width.
I would say buy a good pair of walking shoes - go to a specialized store. It's definitely time to ditch those worn sketchers and you should probably get another pair for work as well.

I don't know how long are walking shoes supposed to last but I was told (when I was buying a pair of shoes for running on treadmill) that after 500 miles it's time to get a new pair. I am sure that as a nurse you walk a lot.

I run in a pair of Saucony shoes and I walk in Reeboks - but I bought neither pair for its brand, I bought them because they fit me. The Reeboks were actually a totally unplanned purchase - I saw them at Winners (a Canadian version of T J Maxx), they fit, the price was right, I got them.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

If you have a 'running' type store in your area try them. In Canada we have a company called The Running Room (although I think now they bill themselves as the Walking Room as well). They take the time to fit you based on your stride, how the shoe fits, etc. I've rarely had any problems with shoes I've bought there. In fact I dropped in last week because recently I have been getting blisters. She showed me a different way to tie the shoe (using holes I hadn't used before) and what a difference. Oh, and I notice a difference when I wear the fancy, double-layer socks as well.

Last edited by RealCdn; 08-19-2008 at 11:02 AM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #4  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

For about 5+ years now I can barely stand to wear any shoe that has an enclosed heal.
I wear Crocs at work (also a nurse) and sometimes I wear my Crocs to walk. Wearing the Crocs with the strap up on the heel instead of like open clogs will provide better stability.

I have a pair of Bite brand running sandals, men's to get the extra width, and sandals so they would be open in the back...just a strap across the back. They are very secure on my feet, very comfortable to walk in with loads of support. They are still a bit tight on my extra wide feet, size 10. I have a bunion, and that is where they hurt me after an hour or so.

I have worn my running sandals when we were walking the monuments & museums in DC and carried my Crocs to change into when my foot started to hurt, that was the best combo for me.

I have had problematic feet forever...my mom used to tell me it would be easier for me to just wear the box.

Last edited by SkinnyDogMom; 08-19-2008 at 11:08 AM.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you have hard to fit, painful feet - get to a good shoe store (like Fleet Feet or another professional athletic shoe store) and get fitted. After my knee surgery, I did so, and it made a HUGE difference. You may be able to get a mens shoe that is comfortable, also...so do get fitted and see what they say.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

The nearest real shoe store to me is at least 100 miles away. I usually go to Dunham's which is sorta like a Dick's sporting goods I think. The last time there was a selection of maybe 25 shoes for women. I start at one end of the aisle and I start putting them on. Either it is a NO and it goes right back on the shelf or a maybe and I leave it on the floor. After trying all the pairs on I usually have about 6-8 pairs that are maybes. I then put them back on and make a lap or two around the store to narrow them down some more. I'll purchase the two best fitting pair and wear them at home for a day or two and try to get in at least one walk on the treadmill in each. I keep the best pair and return the other ones. The store personnel actually recommended I do so. Don't be afraid of men's shoes either. Some of the best shoes I owned were boys/mens.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

zinkemomx2 - I follow a very similar process when I buy shoes. Good to know that I'm not the only one

I have had good luck with New Balance and Asics - both come in wide widths and half sizes. They also seem to have a narrow enough heel for my foot.

Another thought, if You buy men's shoes, or buy a size larger to accommodate your wide foot - I often end up replacing the inserts in shoes with a pair that fit the shape of my foot better. Sometimes the arch is in the wrong place.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/154.4/149 (mini-goal)

I''ve had knee problems so I went to a specialized store where they analyzed my stride, found I overpronated. I bought some Sauconys with extra support on the inner foot (my left foot is worse). Definitely have your stride analyzed and your foot remeasured, my new shoes make me feel as though I'm walking on air.
karen0117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I wear New Balance, but I agree I would go find a specialized shoe store. That is what I am going to do for my next shoes! I may go tomorrow I am in need for new shoes myself!
Mommysince21505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #10  

Height: 5'9"

I wear Crocs I walk in crocs and I use my exercise bike with crocs. I can't stand running shoe's, I hate wearing socks!. I'm weird, I know. However, winter will soon be here and I can't wear crocs in snow I better go find a pair of running shoe's soon.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote