South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/130/115

Height: 5'0"

Default I read the book!

I posted last week, when I was considering SBD and decided to buy the book to learn more. I have to tell you, I am really impressed. I guess I always thought of it as more of a "fad" diet, but it actually seems really healthy! I am an RN, as well as my best friend, and when I told her I was going to do this her responce was, "I can't believe you are doing all of this for 10 lbs, it's just not normal to eat that way!" It was difficult to convince her otherwise, so I hope that maybe after I begin she will see results in me! A lot of this really "flies in the face" of the nutrition I was taught in college, but this just seems to make so much more sense. I am so excited about starting (after I get back from vacation) I can't wait!
RNmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:48 AM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Hey RN. I'm also from LA.
Yep, it is a wonderfully healthy way to eat. Nothing fad about it!
My sister is also an RN and I've been trying to talk up SBD to her and she won't have any part of it no matter how I try to convince her. I sent her a copy of the book which she has yet to read.

You are going to be thrilled that many of our local favorite foods can be "converted" without losing any taste by just replacing butter with olive oil and replacing white rice with brown....etoufees, gumbo etc.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

RNmomof5, I am so glad you read the book before starting on this plan. It seems to be a common misconception that The South Beach Diet is just another fad diet, but I think more and more people are beginning to realize that this way of eating is very healthy and makes a lot of sense. The fact that we have so many Newbies joining us here everyday just drives home that point.
I wish you tons of success, and look forward to your posts.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 08-19-2008 at 06:44 AM.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #4  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the beach. Hope you enjoy this new way of life.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #5  
Determined to lose!

Hey RN, welcome to south beach! Join us for our daily's wont you?
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #6  

Height: 5'11

Welcome to the beach!
AutumnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 7"

Welcome to the beach
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Adding my to that of the others.
Since you have only ten pounds to lose, you could start with Phase II rather than Phase I. However, Phase I does help eliminate cravings.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNmomof5 View Post
I guess I always thought of it as more of a "fad" diet, but it actually seems really healthy!

That is exactly what I thought so I never "wasted my time" reading the book. Not until I came across this site and realized after lurking for a few weeks that SBD was exactly what I was trying to structure on my own. Once I read the book and started following the program I actually felt like I had finally stopped dieting. I don't need to restrict food I just make healthier choices. What and how I eat is not to far from the way I was raised as a kid. Most of our food was home grown and home prepared so back to basics for the most part.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Hey, I'm am an RN too & I wasn't convinced for a long time. I have other nurses at work who have used SB & been very successful, but I was very leery of it. My biggest fear was portion control. I was convinced that if I didn't count points, I couldn't lose weight. No one was more surprised than me at how easy and effective this plan is. Now I'm loving it!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #12  

Welcome aboard!!!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #13  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EofAZ View Post
Once I read the book and started following the program I actually felt like I had finally stopped dieting.
Besides feeling good eating this way - I love not having to be obsessed with food to lose weight.

Welcome!

Last edited by WebRover; 08-19-2008 at 08:25 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 183/130/115

Height: 5'0"

You guys are so encouraging! It will still be a couple of weeks before I start though. I need to start something "right" because I tend to give in too easily if I start anything half heartedly. I feel like I already do a lot of the SBD "rules" anyway. I eat all whole wheat bread and pasta, lean meats, etc... I do feel like maybe I eat too many carbs and fruits though, at least for weight loss. I also eat quite a bit of "diet" food like the 100 cal oreo snack packs, and fat free salad dressings, along with others. I only began looking into this diet after a friend, whom I respect, recommened it and told me that her doc,which I also know and respect, recommended this diet for healthy weight loss. I know I don't have a lot of weight left to loose, but I am excited about just being healthier!
femmecreole Gumbo is a family favorite around here. I'm thinking the potato salad that I fix along with it will probably have to go! I'm wondering though, do you make your roux with olive oil and wheat flour? I just can't imagine that.
RNmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

RNmomof5, when you are ready to start the SBD, you'll have to give up those Oreos, they definitely do not fit into any phase of the plan. You are allowed to have 2 TBSP. of full-fat salad dressings though, and they are even recommended, as they contain good fats that your body needs. We look for the sugar content in them, and make sure they have less than 3 grams of sugar per serving.
We have a great recipe for a fake "potato" salad in our Phase 1 salads, and you won't be able to taste the difference from the real thing. Check it out!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote