Old 12-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/206/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Broccoli . . . blah!

I hate it. I love veggies, I hate broccoli. The only time I will eat it is when cooked on pizza.

On an interesting note, I also used to hate cauliflower. But tonight I riced it and then added parmesean and cayenne and it was delicious!
CygnetC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default I sooooooo feel your pain!

Oh, CC, I feel your pain.

Like Bush the first, I HATE BROCCOLI. My ex and DS never believed me 'cuz I served it so often anyway. It is, after all, a "Wonder Food".

It defies the old wisdom that if a human eats something 10 times, he/she will develop a taste for it. I still have a taste for it, and it is s----!!!

Here are two ways to choke it down (other than just choking it down)...from Prevention magazine, I learned, and it works.....steam the stuff and then sprinkle with copious amounts of Caraway Seeds......it really works. The other thing that works is to roast it.....blend it with olive oil and lots of chopped garlic and roast at 400 degrees for a half hour or so....it really is possible to choke it down that way. Good luck, and if you find any other tricks, lemme know!!!
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

For some people adding lemon juice cuts the particular taste that they dont like.

I prefer it just barely cooked...still crunchy - basically just long enough to turn it bright green - and I like it a lot in a spicy slightly sweet sauce like a chinese sauce.

But really, if you love other veggies and hate broccoli, why bother. If you are veggie challenged I definitely say keep trying, but dont force yourself to eat something you hate if it is the only veggie you dislike.

On the other hand I thought I hated brussel sprouts for 37 years and a friend turned me on to separating the leaves and stir-frying the leaves with garlic and EVOO and I like. But it takes forever to peel, I am going to try thinly slicing.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

I don't like raw broccoli, but cooked is fine. Never tried it roasted but that sounds good.

Ennay - brussel sprouts are awesome roasted. I cut them in half vertically, add a little olive oil and let them go. They get much sweeter.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Stir-fried with some fresh snap peas, mushrooms, and water chestnuts. Add a nice tangy sauce - and serve over brown rice. One of my absolute favorites. I add a few cashews too (vegetarian here), but you could add chicken for a protein boost.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #6  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

I stir fry broccoli with a bit of oil, and add in some garlic.

One of my favourite dishes.
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I steam my broccoli in a quarter cup of chicken broth. When it is almost done, I mix in a paste made of the zest of one lemon, a clove of garlic, minced, 1/2 tsp coarse salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. You mince the garlic on your cutting board, sprinkle with the salt, and mash together to make a paste, then add the lemon zest and pepper.

Toss the flavor paste into the broccoli for the last 5 min of cooking.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I eat it raw. I don't mind it cooked...but it has to be HOT....once those fluffly lil florettes cool off I gag on them...strange I know.

Although I have found if I buy the broccoli slaw I put that in stir fried veggies I love it. I also use this in salads and can sneak it to my dear daughter in this form.

I may have to try ricing cauliflower. I have never like cauli...but lately as I am eating healthier and trying new things (tofu, Salmon, Edamame, sweet potatoes to name a few) and really like them.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

You can make a really good "sauce" for brussels sprouts by combining equal parts mustard (out of a jar) and honey and lemon juice -- I bet it's good on other veggies too.

But then, I actually LIKE broccoli, so.... ; )
anita
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #10  

Mmmmmmmmmm.....broccoli!!!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 AM   #11  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Raw broccoli... oh yeah. I'm hearing ya sunshine
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 148/133/125

Height: 5'4"

The brocolli "slaw" found in most salad bags sections of the grocery store is tasty. i like it it with balsamic vinegar dressing or italian. it is really good and doesn't really have that brocolli taste.
pookynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #13  

so hard to find a yummy healthy recipe
kayken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #14  

pinterest is a lifesaver
kayken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

I don't care for broccoli but I grew up and decided it was good for me so I eat it.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote